Old 09-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8anarchist View Post
Veterancy is only really somethin you take on block heavy builds
You mean like the 1h + shield builds that are being discussed to be improved?
Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 AM
Advocate

Well speaking as a Soldier only Sword and Board, the recent Cadence changes have been felt, quite a bit.

Why not make Cadence a two handed and shield using only skill and eliminate DW entirely and boost its damage back up?
Old 09-13-2015, 01:31 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Why not make Cadence a two handed and shield using only skill and eliminate DW entirely and boost its damage back up?
Because then 2H cadence will be too strong. It is already about on par with DW cadence in terms of clear speeds, imo, if a little lower. (Note that I say this while maintaining that DW/2H cadence is balanced at the present time)
Old 09-13-2015, 02:07 AM
Supporter

I think moving the flat damage that was on Military Conditioning to Veterancy would be an excellent solution to the shield problem; simply make it only apply while wielding a shield.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:28 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Well speaking as a Soldier only Sword and Board, the recent Cadence changes have been felt, quite a bit.

I think it would be a better idea for the developers to find more ways for the damage numbers on shields to come into play and thus mitigate some of the extreme damage disparity that comes along with gear choice rather than making even more skills gear exclusive. I'm not fond of removing possibilities.

In addition to considering shield damage as a stat contribution to more skills, perhaps consider allowing shields an inherent chance to add some portion of their damage potential (modified by stats) as physical retaliation much as they currently have a percentage chance to mitigate incoming damage. Just spit balling here but maybe 1/2 the shield's block rate.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 AM
Counsel

Interesting thread; it made me look at my Witchblade's build again since the transmuter adds chaos damage. The reason I never took Cadence before is that I rarely do three melee hits in a row. I have so many active skills that I am always watching cooldowns and hitting skills as they become available again. I ended up putting a 6 points each into Markovian's Advantage and Zolhan's Technique instead.

Are the Discord damage bonuses only applied on the third swing? If not then I'm going to get that and ditch one of the WPS.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohuf View Post
Decorated soldier would be used by DW builds.
How about Scars of Battle then? Would 40 points in Soldier discourage DW builds? I have never played one.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:11 AM
Counsel

i recently switched from Mace/Shield to DW Cadence. Never going back. make of that what you will.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:21 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThoss View Post
How about Scars of Battle then? Would 40 points in Soldier discourage DW builds? I have never played one.
You need only one point in Nightblade mastery to access DW. That means 41 points spent in mastery total for both DW and SoB, which is far less than you will spend anyway.

I really like the idea of moving flat damage to veterancy. One problem I have with Shields is that they are supposed to compensate for less offense with increased defense, but you need to spend a lot of points to even get a decent defense boost at all while you lose offense instantly by forsaking a two-handed weapon or a second weapon. Giving flat damage bonus and extra defense to one skill solves that problem a bit.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:34 AM
Herald

cadence could just hit for weapon and shield damage. wouldn't do anything for pistol + shield, but that setup already has the advantage of being range. /shrug

Tags
balance, cadence