Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyhamster1 View Post
I made a build discussion around this conduit affix a while ago: Acid warlock sadness

The affix is interesting, but the issue really comes down to lack of %acid bonus and skill support gear for skills you'd want to convert. In my example it would be arcanist support. Getting into the overcap territory is currently impractical for most all of the skills.

Hopefully FG will add more support for these skills and with a focus of %acid.

*shrug*
This is true with most total damage conversion not just acid warlock. Unless there is a dedicated set made for the conversion. (Which there's only a few)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by USER_NAME_01 View Post
In the end, the aether -> acid has no impact on arcanists. If you want you can easily make a strong Warlock even without this modifier. Want to use Devastation, AAR, no problem, just pick Putrid Necklace and one Venom Launcher.
That's why I think the aether modification has rather no sense.
^I disagree.

This one conduit with +1, nice energy, health, resist overcaps, and 100% conversion is far better than 2 items that only get to 90% and take 2 slots.

The gun and the putrid necklace give acid resist? and maybe ~100% acid x 2 if you roll some unlikely affix/suffix. And skill bonuses to stuff you don't really need (deadly aim?)

Most everything Arcanist is 1/2 aether and half elemental. Those 2 slots can be used for 2x items that give great bonuses, like a +300% acid dagger or some specific arcanist [elemental] skill bonuses.

So...in your example...a partial acid devastation warlock would be better converting the aether and profiting from Cof RR on both parts. etc. And using existing elemental devastation items or sets.

TLDR: acid/elemental combo is better than acid/aether for a warlock. In terms of current item and devotion support.

Last edited by hammyhamster1; 02-10-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:27 PM
Initiate

Necromancers actually get to use aether to poison conversion better than arcanists since there's also ways to get vitality to poison on items that also grant buffs to ravenous earth or bone harvest
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Champion

Melee acid autoattack replacer with theodin mi?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Champion

Quote:
^I disagree.

This one conduit with +1, nice energy, health, resist overcaps, and 100% conversion is far better than 2 items that only get to 90% and take 2 slots.

The gun and the putrid necklace give acid resist? and maybe ~100% acid x 2 if you roll some unlikely affix/suffix. And skill bonuses to stuff you don't really need (deadly aim?)

Most everything Arcanist is 1/2 aether and half elemental. Those 2 slots can be used for 2x items that give great bonuses, like a +300% acid dagger or some specific arcanist [elemental] skill bonuses.

So...in your example...a partial acid devastation warlock would be better converting the aether and profiting from Cof RR on both parts. etc. And using existing elemental devastation items or sets.

TLDR: acid/elemental combo is better than acid/aether for a warlock. In terms of current item and devotion support.
Well I gotta admit you have a point there, and this also proves that I was wrong because I didn't think it all along. Even though, I still think this modifier doesn't really do much as for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
+1 for physical and make it work with pets
Also, I missed that one. Do not make it physical. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Necromancers actually get to use aether to poison conversion better than arcanists since there's also ways to get vitality to poison on items that also grant buffs to ravenous earth or bone harvest
Necromancer actually has no main attacks it'd use with this Conduit's conversion. Yeah, there's DE, but, really? That skills base damage is just a joke, if you don't support it, you deal 20 - 30k damage per tick. Spectral binding gives aether on hit, and on-being-hit, which is also not a huge amount to actually bother converting that damage, additionally (I'll just ignore the fact my english sucks and this sentence doesn't look like it'd have much sense to me) you need WD to make the on-hit aether (or acid, if you convert it) work with caster (your builds most likely will end up as a caster, most likely without WD). Reaping strike doesn't have to be talked about, because I just explained it in my previous sentence, basically. Ravenous Earth has aether damage after killing a unit, which has rather no impact on bosses. Bone Harvest doesn't have any aether damage at all. You can't convert converted damage (Siphon Souls).
So basically, unless you convert vitality to acid, this won't do anything for Necromancers (bear in mind that you MUST have occultist mastery in order to use that conversion, so making a Death Knight or Spellbinder doesn't work).

Yeah, there's also Reap Spirit. Does anyone use it as a nuke anyway? I mean, it does work with Diviner and pet builds, but it then is focused on aether and vitality damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Live View Post
Melee acid autoattack replacer with theodin mi?
Sounds cool. Seriously.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Champion

Quote:

Sounds cool. Seriously.

Of course it is. When you see my nick often cool things are involved.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Initiate

Bone harvest has high% weapon damage and that includes aether damage from spectral binding... ravenous earth already does acid so converting its modifier into acid isn't a stupid idea.
The only problems with this conduit for necromancers are the lack of other stuff to support it and the weakness of certain skills like drain essence.
This conduit makes sense unless you liok at the numbers so why change a cobduit rather than adjust numbers?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Also, I missed that one. Do not make it physical. :P
Fine.. just make all pet dmg converted to acid
Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Fine.. just make all pet dmg converted to acid
I suspect the BoD aura conversion is likely not passed on to others so as to not mess up MP play. That's why pets don't see that aura effect.

However, the only way to really balance this kind of pet tweak would be to do away with all general % pet damage equipment and make all items have specific damage type boosts to pets. I don't think Crate wants to do that much work.

Currently 1/2 the versatility of pets is the ~1000%+ to-all-damage (through items and/or devotions) that you can find for pets. A non-pet build will see maybe 80-300% to-all-damage through devotions/gear. The impact is that every single pet flat damage addition immediately has a huge base multiplier. Then it is just a matter of specializing a bit more through certain gear or devotions for even more %.

imho.

Last edited by hammyhamster1; 02-11-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Advocate

Quote:
The only way to balance this kind of pet tweak would be to do away with all general % pet damage equipment and make all items have specific damage type boosts to pets. I don't think crate wants to do that much work.

Currently 1/2 the versatility of pets is ~1000+ of general damage that adds to every type of elemental angle

So...pets probably need more care in avoiding runaway damage than any other builds.

imho.
I wasn't being serious with the convert all damage to X thing.

But I don't think a 100% Physical to Acid/poison conversion for pets would be overpowered. We already have 100% phy > chaos with a single Voidwhisper Ring. This would be on a amulet, meaning no 2 Familiars.

It could also be made not part of the aura and just another modifier on the amulet, to not cause any unintentional problems.

Last edited by Maya; 02-11-2019 at 04:48 PM.