Old 07-22-2018, 05:50 AM
Supporter

Default Stash!

GD is the best ARPG ever. Undeniably. It’s complexity and flexibility, the creativity and commitment it requires, the coherence of its mechanics... That being said, WHAT’S UP WITH THE INFINITESIMAL, ANNOYINGLY RESTRICTIVE STASH SPACE?

I have heard that devs claim it supposedly forces users to make “meaningful decisions” but I completely fail to understand the validity of this argument. Meaningful decisions to do what? Whether to toss hard earned gear that might be used by future builds? Decisions regarding the gender of your next mule? Or the decision to finally install GDStash and open way to the temptations of cheating?

Some players do not want to use mods. Some players derive satisfaction from the difficult process of expanding their gear collection and thereby the possibilities in build creation. The developers, however, insist on making this process much less enjoyable by failing to address this issue in the coming updates.

I do understand that an ARPG, in order to be truly successful, cannot be too easy: drop rates cannot be too high, enemies must be able to beat even a top tier build, etc. However, I simply cannot think of a single reason why stash should not be infinite (or at least 10 times bigger than it currently is) and equipped with some kind of sort/filter/search tool. Players have the right to be able to access all their gear in-game without having to switch characters or use an external stash manager.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:00 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
Players have the right to be able to access all their gear in-game without having to switch characters or use an external stash manager.
No they don’t. Not only is this not a right, I actually think most ARPGs by default have no larger stash either (with by default I mean buying pages ike in PoE does not count).

Whether players would want a larger stash is a different topic
Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 AM
Campaigner

dude, play classic Diablo II (pre Lord of destruction expansion) and you come back and tell me about your small stash space in Grim Dawn

Last edited by eisprinzessin; 07-22-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 AM
Herald

There are some people, like me, that don't like millions of pages. I do like many pages of character inventory (gimme infinite, lol), but I also don't like the mess which this feature grants. The main issue with many/infinite stash/inventory pages is the huge mess players always do with their items - saving everything because "it might be better". If you drop an item, and you have infinite stash/inventory space, you'll put that item there (e.g. stash), and then you drop another item, the same one, you'll save it for later because you might make another character that uses the same item. Then you get the item again, well, guess what? You gonna save that item for later because another character might need it in the future. After that, you'll get another item, again the same, and you'll think you might need that item for later. Later, you use one of those duplicates, but you drop another one, so you'll save it for later because another character might need it in the future. In the future, you'll drop another the same item, which you most likely will need in the future because it's a good item and you might make another character that would use that item, so you gonna save that item.

Meanwhile, 16 pages of your stash are the same item, let's say Mythical Leviathan. 25 pages are full of Hagarradian Enforcer, 127 of Warborn Chestguard, 8174 pages of Mythical Final March. Now you want to make a character that uses Mad Queen's Claw - you'll need to search 9000 pages of your inventory in order to find that shit and then cry that the game's shit because there's too much of everything, but you're not gonna realize that this is all your fault and quit the game anyway (or if you really like the game, you'll remove everything and start freshly).

By limiting the stash, devs limit the greediness of players. You're not gonna save more than 2 of the same items, because you will need space for other items, therefore you'll only pick up the one that is stronger than the other and put it in your stash, resulting in a clean stash, with 10 - 15 pages (another characters that are your stash expansion) and therefore the game is much more healthier in general.

Crate already said that they will MAYBE add one page of stash every expansion, as there are new items coming.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawiglenn View Post
dude, play classic Diablo II (pre Lord of destruction expansion) and you come back and tell me about your small stash space in Grim Dawn
Or even with LoD, it's still ridiculous. Or try playing Titan Quest Immortal Throne or the Anniversary Edition. Way less storage than GD and only mod options are for out of game storage.

GDStash is not your only option. There's also Grim Dawn Item Assistant.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35240
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

Last edited by medea fleecestealer; 07-22-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Speaker

There is also GDitemsearch.exe, if you ever feel like muling.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USER_NAME_01 View Post
By limiting the stash, devs limit the greediness of players. You're not gonna save more than 2 of the same items, because you will need space for other items, therefore you'll only pick up the one that is stronger than the other and put it in your stash, resulting in a clean stash, with 10 - 15 pages (another characters that are your stash expansion) and therefore the game is much more healthier in general.
Thanks for giving me a different perspective. I admit that an infinite stash might cause problems to some players. But I only save myth legendaries and mi’s with exceptionally good rolls and I ran out of space on my second char. Adding (way) more pages to unlock for iron, say next being twice or three or four times the price of the last, would be most welcome by the majority of players who have more than 2 builds. Muling is bothersome.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Not going to happen, it's been asked for many times. And the majority of players either deal with what they have or use a stash mod. That's why the game is moddable so people can make mods to play they way they want, be it extra storage, new masteries, more mobs/heroes/bosses to fight, etc.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

From the 25th May stream:

"Zantai, any chance of increasing the personal stash space and reducing the iron bits cost for unlocking said tabs?
I think we're going to add one more tab to both the personal and shared stash. Pretty sure that's what we're planning. As far as increasing the cost, I don't think that's very likely."

Edit - from the 22nd June stream:

"BourbonBandit :Any plans for extra shared stash space? Plsssss
we'll add another tab
artist managed to squeeze those buttons down "

Last edited by medea fleecestealer; 07-25-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Double quote instead of a different one
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 AM
Supporter

I agree that unlimited stash space would indeed create confusion and contribute to many beginning players hoarding junk.

However, I still believe that more tabs would be beneficial to improving the quality of gameplay for advanced players.

To prevent encouraging mindless hoarding, devs could put very high prices on the extra tabs (beyond the 5th) or/and make them available through hidden quests/defeating ultra bosses/etc.

Tags
stash, stash space