Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Praetorian

I am starting to feel the same, the combat could be a lot better. But this is from the table top version of the game. But yeah, could have been a lot, lot better. And yes, the writing seems to have been made from a 5 year old. Whoever did the writing clearly has zero writing skills.

Alos the game takes forever to load saves, but that is probably partially a unity engine issue. But its annoying how long it takes to load a game up.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success

Last edited by matthewfarmery; 04-25-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Champion

Quote:
And yes, the writing seems to have been made from a 5 year old.
Did they used maching-writing algoritm to produce ingame text? I fail to imagine a living person behind it
Old 04-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Praetorian

Well onto mission two, I have to admit, the combat is just plain tedious. working out who goes next, and the reserve thing isn't fun. I was hoping that the combat was a bit more faster paced. or at least a bit more logical. I'm starting to be a bit disappointed by the game.

Whoever did the writing needed to be fired. its not at all good, just seems too simple and bland. so yeah, another minus on the quality of the writing. So far, I think I will give the game a 6 out of 10. But the music is good, and probably the main thing that I do like. But combat is one aspect I wish they would have done better with.

edit

A tip I found on the steam forum, reducing the graphics detail to medium speeds up loading times by a lot. Seems texture detail and mesh detail are to blame for the slow loading times. so it helps a lot, if you reduce those to medium at least.

Last edited by matthewfarmery; 04-25-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Supporter

This is a tactical game so, using reserve and manipulating turn order is part of it.
There is a number beside each mech that shows its turn.

I'm not disappointed by the game (played only 1st 3 missions though - tutorial and 2 story missions).
I feel like there is plenty of "action", as ennemies get reinforcement, and there are some "surprises".

Imarion
Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Praetorian

The game needs a better tutorial then, as the current one is totally crap and doesn't explain much at all. Then the game throws you straight into the deep end and your on your own to try and figure stuff out.

Also the game balance seems to be a bit off, as the game got rebalanced for vets, rather then beginners, especially about the upkeep costs and early mission difficulty.

I'm used to moving everyone in the same turn, this move in different phases is just so annoying. But again, the game does a poor job of explaining stuff.

On the third mission, the one you need to take out turrets and generator. And two mechs can sensor lock on me and fire on my mechs while I can't see them yet. So yeah, game is becoming a little frustrating to play. Guess I need to watch some videos and see what not and what to do. But anyway, a better series of tutorials is a must. Another major let down.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 AM
Supporter

Yes I agree for a new player completely discovering the game those 1st 2 missions are quite hard.
As a baker, I did not participate to the beta, but followed up and read a lot, this helped a lot and in the end I had no injuries and only 2 mechs needed repair.

When I saw the turrets I naturally stayed far away from them as much as possible (helped to have played other games before like Mech Commander ).

Then the 1st 2 contracts missions were very easy compared to that (1 small mech + 3 vehicles).
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Advocate

Will probably buy this once I've paid for other things.

Pretty enjoyable though once you get the gameplay mechanics enough that a battle goes smoothly. Enough that I was hooked until 6am local time, did restart the 2nd story mission (the 1st one that you get as a merc) 6 times (not helped by HHD issues causing a BSoD) but in the end took that bloody heavy mech down. Not finding the story that bad, because lets face it, the source material's only slightly less wanky than Warhammer 40K and bad writing is the norm with even big video games.

The memory leak and load times can go die in a fire though, as can the lack of speed ups for allied and enemy actions. Not as bad as a certain civ 4 mod (realism something) where turn times could take 5+ minutes, but still annoying. This probably stems from HBS's lack of experience with 3d games vis optimising resource loads, though I've seen similar loading issues with Wasteland 2 until inExile fixed them, so part of the blame likely lies with Unity itself.

And it definitely needs a better tutorial that covers all the game mechanisms, along with an in-game encyclopaedia to go over game mechanisms and lore. Also, just because a merc mission only has 1.5 stars doesn't mean it's going to be easy. Had one that spawned 3 Hunchbacks plus 2 more medium mechs and a full lance of small mechs. Could probably do it now though, using SRM spam to knock down the mechs and so score free called shots for maximum happy-murder-fun time.

Oh and beware teh SRM vehicles, at 10x SRM they're a pain in the rear.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Praetorian

I have read on the steam forum, that the difficulty isn't that good for a few mission types, as the skulls that represent difficulty, doesn't take into account reinforcements. Which then makes the mission a lot harder then it should be. also defence missions are also difficult. I really hope they do a balance pass on this game. And yes, the tutorial missions need to be dropped down a notch or two in difficulty. As they aimed this for the hardcore fan and not those that are starting out. I read there is a memory leak in the game too, so hopefully that will get fixed.

I just hope this game gets some love from the devs, and they don't abandon it like their last game.

Edit

There is a bug with reinforcements, as they appear from the start rather then later, which makes missions a whole lot harder then they should. So that is at least one bug that needs fixing. But I also hope that the devs take a look at the difficulty spikes in some missions, as they still seem very off, especially pilot injuries, as people have posted, pilots dying when their mechs only suffer very minor damage. And the AI seem to be able to do headshots way more often then they should be able too. Which doesn't help. So it seems that the devs went overboard in this, I think the game needs a lot more work still,. and clearly not ready for release. But anyway, fingers crossed these issues will be fixed.

Edit 2

I think I might wait on this game a bit, until the difficulty gets better, a lot of people are starting to struggle as they progress, and the skulls doesn't seem to represent difficulty at all. LRM (long range mission) carriers seem to be a real pain in the backside. and certain mission types are so hard.

This game is a bit of a mess for difficulty, and now there are bugs with advancing the storyline / progress as well.

The game needed more time, and seems clear now it not been properly tested, or was rushed out of the door.

Shame really, sadly, I'm beyond the point of an automatic refund, I just hope that the devs will fix this mess. but at least there will be mods, even though steam workshop isn't supported. What a total letdown of a game.

Last edited by matthewfarmery; 04-26-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Supporter

The game has not been rushed, far from it.
There has been a very extensive beta test (multiplayer only).
The campaign has been tested internally only (by Paradox). So now that it is in the hands of thousands of people with different knowledge/experiences, some issues are put in the light. But which game has no balance issue at release ?

So yes the campaign may need adjustments.
I'm not far enough yet to judge.

And for sure the game will evolve.
They plan to release it on Linux in 3-4 months, if I remember well, together with additional languages.
I'm quite sure there will be patches.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Herald

It's a dumpster fire that will kill your GPU

Also, dev added a character based on someone who called Iraq War vets cryptofascists and wished serious physical harm on them