#11  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 PM
billinkw billinkw is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTech View Post
I've had high hopes for GD. I like the focus on oldschool non-dumbed-down non-restrictive gameplay and trying to avoid things that plague recent games. I especially wanted to support it because Crate was acting as if it respected it's supporters, including not using DRM and not going steam only.

My friends and I have been waiting to play the alpha to hopefully give some useful feedback. Now, apparently, we won't be able to, since convenience and legalese are taking precedence over the ideas this project claimed to be based on.

Steam only alpha is a troutslap to the face of anyone who isn't a steam user.

'To be fair though, we did say Alpha would be “exclusive” and did not say it would be DRM-free; but we also did not say it would be on Steam, as we had no idea at the time how we would actually release it.' that's not "being fair", that's "copping out", compromising self stated standards via a loophole; and as for "exclusive", it was presented in the original postings as exclusive to tiered supporters, not exclusive to a restrictive distro method.

If it's not possible to make or windows-adapt-from-open-source-code an update program, why not just use a torrent tracker with auth ids or something similar? It would have a comparable feature set and everyone could use it.

At the very least you're going without all the feedback you could be getting from non steam users(not to mention betraying their trust and pissing them off). But by restricting the input to only steam users, it's also running the risk of steering the game in a direction that makes it less playable for others.
People will complain about anything.....
  #12  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM
BrainFlush's Avatar
BrainFlush BrainFlush is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Default To Hell With Steam!

I hate Steam with a passion!

This is how much I hate Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrainFlush

And for those of you who don't know where to look.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrainFlush/games?tab=all

I hate Steam so much, I get up everyday just to throw money at the screen hoping Steam will take the money and leave this god forsaken planet once and for all.

Please die Steam.

(SARCASM)
  #13  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Assassin's Avatar
Assassin Assassin is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNamikaze View Post
Not sure how long Alpha will last? Crate need to focus on the last two masteries and add more contents to the game (possibly act 2/3).
You know, the Alpha can continue while they do those things.
Right?

There won't be many major issues as it has been stated numerous times. (Since Grim Dawn runs on a proven game engine.)

So, their schedule could be like: (All through the Alpha phase)

Monday = Day dedicated to tune-up the game.
Tuesday-Saturday = Add more content days.

So, I can see the Alpha going for 3-6 weeks. Then they can put out the Beta right after the Alpha.
__________________
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Sea of Thieves
WAITING FOR: Close Combat: The Bloody First | State of Decay 2
“I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.”
– Max Payne

Last edited by Assassin; 05-14-2013 at 11:03 PM.
  #14  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:05 PM
JohnNamikaze's Avatar
JohnNamikaze JohnNamikaze is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
You know, the Alpha can continue while they do those things.
Right?

There won't be many major issues as it has been stated numerous times. (Since Grim Dawn runs on a proven game engine.)

So, their schedule could be like: (All through the Alpha phase)

Monday = Day dedicated to tune-up the game.
Tuesday-Saturday = Add more content days.

So, I can see the Alpha going for 3-6 weeks. Then they can put out the Beta right after the Alpha.
You really have a lot confident with Crate that they can add the contents really quickly. Pre-Alpha took them about three years, so I am thinking they might take about 12-16 weeks to get Beta ready for us. Well, there is nothing wrong wishful for Alpha to finish quickly.
__________________
Currently playing: Hearthstone

Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods
  #15  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Assassin's Avatar
Assassin Assassin is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,313
Default

00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNamikaze View Post
You really have a lot confident with Crate that they can add the contents really quickly. Pre-Alpha took them about three years, so I am thinking they might take about 12-16 weeks to get Beta ready for us. Well, there is nothing wrong wishful for Alpha to finish quickly.
Well, I don't work for Crate so I don't how they organized things.

I like to believe they are a step ahead though. It just seems like good business practice to be a step ahead. (Also, otherwise, Zantai would run out of things to present to us which he hasn't yet. lol.)

medierra mentioned that the Alpha is there for us to give Crate a push in the direction we prefer them to go - with ideas. (This tells me, they are already a step, maybe two steps ahead. If one push doesn't work, they will utilize plan B quick.)

***As for the Alpha being more than 3-6 weeks long. I don't care. What I was saying is that the Alpha will probably be long enough for everyone to get a chance to experience it.***
__________________
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Sea of Thieves
WAITING FOR: Close Combat: The Bloody First | State of Decay 2
“I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.”
– Max Payne

Last edited by Assassin; 05-14-2013 at 11:27 PM.
  #16  
Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 AM
corwiniii corwiniii is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTech View Post
Now, apparently, we won't be able to, since convenience and legalese are taking precedence over the ideas this project claimed to be based on.
Another way to look at it, without sounding so selfish, is to think:
"Gee, this is an indy company, and they are working their assess off to get THE most important part of the game out - THE CONTENT. Maybe focusing on distribution for ALPHA shouldn't be at the top of that list when a perfectly reliable and proven - albeit somewhat disliked - method already exists...."

I like what Steam provides, but get some people don't, especially non-Windows users or folks who build their own Linux kernel. Well, more power to you; but at some point, once in a while, you have to play nice in the sandbox with the other kids...you can't isolate yourself in the corner and then complain about it.
  #17  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Sensuki Sensuki is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 104
Default

My issue with Steam is that you are purchasing a license to a game, not an actual copy.

I know people that have had their accounts shut down when they never did anything wrong and lost hundreds of dollars worth of games.

Steam integration/auto downloads and all that stuff is pretty cool but I will always purchase a game separate from Steam if I have the choice, just in case my account gets randomly shut down as well.

For stuff like closed alpha/betas and stuff it makes perfect sense though.
  #18  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 AM
BrainFlush's Avatar
BrainFlush BrainFlush is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensuki View Post
My issue with Steam is that you are purchasing a license to a game, not an actual copy.

I know people that have had their accounts shut down when they never did anything wrong and lost hundreds of dollars worth of games.

Steam integration/auto downloads and all that stuff is pretty cool but I will always purchase a game separate from Steam if I have the choice, just in case my account gets randomly shut down as well.

For stuff like closed alpha/betas and stuff it makes perfect sense though.
The only people I have ever come across with locked accounts, HACKERS and THIEVES. So I do not see a reason to hate on Steam for the idiots that are a problem. My two unwarranted cents.
  #19  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Sensuki Sensuki is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 104
Default

You wouldn't like it if your Steam account was hacked by someone else and then your account is closed down and Valve won't listen to anything you say or even follow it up.

My friend Sam from the UK had some other weird reason why his account was closed down, I can't remember what it was, I'd have to ask him.

Besides it's the principle of the thing. I want to purchase a game, not a license to play a game.
  #20  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Pelican's Avatar
Pelican Pelican is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ATL
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensuki View Post
Besides it's the principle of the thing. I want to purchase a game, not a license to play a game.
Pro tip for you: Don't read the terms for nearly any software you buy from any source, ever. It may upset you.
Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, steam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.