Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Speaker

Default Kickstarter or other funding

Have you guys thought about doing a kickstarter (or something similar) campaign? I ask because its a great way to raise some money and it gets you some good exposure. It wouldn't be that different from what you are doing now with pre-orders but it'd get you another avenue of publicity...

Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Emissary

Why this thread didnt get any attention ? Its a very good idea IMHO.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Lord Advocate

Not sure if this is the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
So far though, the pre-orders are sufficient for us. If we desperately needed more money, we'd devote more time to marketing and implementing additional payment solutions but, as it is, I think our time is currently best spent directly working on the game. After all, the best way to increase sales is to release the game.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
Not sure if this is the reason?
Yeah I had read that. But I was thinking about this more from the marketing perspective. I'm not sure how close to a beta Grim Dawn is so maybe something like this is premature. I was just thinking that a Kickstarter project is something "relatively" easy to do and would be great as a promotional tool, with the added bonus of raising more money.

Like I said, just a though.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Lord Advocate

I do think it's a good idea, but the alpha is not out yet, so the beta is not near. I do think that GD can use a lot of promotion - but only when it's close to, or in beta.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Praetorian

I think this kind of thing should also be done near or in the beta phase, its way too early yet, we not started doing alpha testing, and the devs are very tight lipped on when that will start

I think once the beta cycle begins, and the release of the game is closer, then stuff like this could be considered, otherwise its just too early

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Speaker

Well its only too early if the alpha/beta won't be out this year. The reasoning being that Kickstarter is a at least 3 month process from start to funds in your account.

I've checked out many games on there and a lot of them don't release betas or alphas for 3-6 months after the project ends. So that would be 6-9 months to get a beta/alpha out and even that isn't set in stone...

Anywho... :P
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Lord Advocate

Apparantly Kickstarter is meant to raise funds in order to start a project; GD is already started.

Ofcourse, if they have a specific goal (like implementing secured servers), it's a very good idea to do it through Kickstarter. Not sure if Kickstarter is able to give enough revenue for a relatively unknown project like GD though.

Anyway, I'd love to see GD listing a project on Kickstarter for closed servers.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I've looked at Kickstarter and it is appealing but I'm not sure our project is very well suited for it and I question whether we could raise sufficient funds for it to be worthwhile.

The main problem is that, operating the way we are now, we wouldn't benefit significantly from raising only a moderate amount of money. To put things into perspective, $100,000 is barely enough money to hire a talented developer with 3+ years of experience, pay them a semi-competitive wage and cover all their expected benefits, associated employment taxes, etc, for a year.

We could outsource a bunch of art with that much money but it wouldn't really help to significantly speed up development, it would actually probably slow down the release of the game but increase the amount of content in it.

To have a significant impact on the pace of development and quality / scope of our release, we'd really need to raise enough money that we could hire a few additional experienced developers full-time (ideally, allow some of our part-time people to quit their day jobs and devote themselves full-time to GD). To bring a few people on full-time and be able to guarantee them some reasonable duration of paid employment, we'd really need to raise somewhere upwards of $500,000.

Even bringing on 1-2 more people full-time would help but it wouldn't be a significant help because we require work from different disciplines to progress toward release. Basically, the time to release is dependent upon the slowest area of development. So unless we hire additional people in all the areas that are critical to making progress toward release, we're not really moving much faster. That isn't to say that it wouldn't be worthwhile but it wouldn't guarantee our ability to release in a more timely and predictable schedule.

There are very few projects on Kickstarter that earn over $100,000 and for the most part, they appear to be gadgets with popular appeal, such as iPhone attachments.

I don't think funding a nerdy ARPG is going to appeal to the average non-gamer and we already have a pre-order system for those gamers who do want to contribute.

It would be great if we could post a request for funding like "help us add a person on to our ARPG team! - $150,000" but Kickstarter doesn't work like that. Kickstarter works best for projects with a more definite beginning and end that result in a product (for your iPhone) once fully funded.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Praetorian

you raise a few good points there, and you are lucky to have raised what you have with the pre order system, but if your need $500,000 that is a lot of money, but seriously doubt you will get that, even when the game is finally released, it may take a little while to reach that level

but I think you are doing a fine job of programming the game with the funds you currently have

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Closed Thread

Tags
development, distribution, factions, funding, kickstarter, quests