Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Acolyte

No they were all max level, and they had like 6 skills on bars but only used 1-2, rest just seem to be on bar without being used. Its not the way im playing it thats the issue, I have played these types of games since they were invented.
Its something with the way the classes are different to TQ that makes them not as exciting to play or to theorycraft, they just feel rather bland in comparison.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Speaker

I Def don't think ur a noob.. I also feel as I stated above that I feel classes need more skills.. I don't however understand as to y they feel boring.. u say they only use 2 skills.. u can. Build them so they use more then 2.. u watched people who had multiple skills but only used 2.. it's probably because it's all they need and most effective not necessarily basing it on a fun playstyle.. Also alot of arpgs use 2 skills mainly so I'm not sure y this is so shocking for u?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftyhorn View Post
Maybe 5 is way too little? Seeing as they are just basic self contained classes, I think they need to add some support type classes (like spirit, nature were). Also titan quest classes were very niche so it allowed us to multiclass better, seeing how each one had distinct strengths and weaknesses.

I know what gd is based off, I played titan quest for many years.

EDIT: Also checked out many streams to see what they were doing different to me, and they play the same way, just spam 1-2 abilities non stop and the rest are just procs. Nowhere near the same diversity as TQ
1: only 5 on release because the team making the game isn't as large as TQ's and isn't funded by a publisher.

2: There is a support type mastery - Occultist. Blood of Dreeg is a party buff heal, familiar can also heal you and party members. You have curse of frailty for CC/debuff. Go with pyromancer and you'd have 4 pets, flashbang (more CC) and other useful skills - level cap restricts having a good build for pets when it comes to hybrid builds.

3: How does being "niche" allow for better dual mastery combinations? There are plenty of combinations with GD's masteries - however we only have a level 35 skill cap so obviously people will be sticking with a few skills because they can't invest in a lot of skills.

4: Again there are builds that use a few skills and builds that use a lot more skills. Did the streams show their build and explain what skills they are using? Again GD has more skills then TQ does so yes it does have more diversity but we only have 35 levels so not as many skill points as you would have in TQ.

edit: And it's fine to not like the classes - that's your opinion. You just like TQ's more or are simply used to them.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Acolyte

Because most arpgs dress up the skills a lot more, when a soldier is just spamming force wave it is very boring. Same with the demolitionist just shooting people and throwing the odd bomb. Its just not exciting.

Titan quest had a lot of things like rally, shouts, banner, herbal remedy - things which complimented the builds at the right time, and it was these that gave us very unique builds. The spirits auras or the rogues poisons/bleeds that would compliment other builds amazingly well. Even some of the more simpler builds like adding earth just to get pet and fire aura feel way more in depth than grim dawn does at the moment. More skills would definitely help, but I think its something to do with the support based skills that need to be added, so each class can bring a unique flare to other classes (not just dual wield or some basic passive).
Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftyhorn View Post
Because most arpgs dress up the skills a lot more, when a soldier is just spamming force wave it is very boring. Same with the demolitionist just shooting people and throwing the odd bomb. Its just not exciting.

Titan quest had a lot of things like rally, shouts, banner, herbal remedy - things which complimented the builds at the right time, and it was these that gave us very unique builds. The spirits auras or the rogues poisons/bleeds that would compliment other builds amazingly well. Even some of the more simpler builds like adding earth just to get pet and fire aura feel way more in depth than grim dawn does at the moment. More skills would definitely help, but I think its something to do with the support based skills that need to be added, so each class can bring a unique flare to other classes (not just dual wield or some basic passive).

Sounds like it's just you Swifty, like you're subconsciously undermining your experience. Maybe you're overly attached to TQ, putting on nostalgic blinders , you're trying to compare a very mature game+expanstion to a game that's still essentially in beta or all of the above? Most of TQ's classes were crammed into an environment that I felt held the game back, a problem that GD doesn't have.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Counsel

agreed, compared to titan quest, the classes in GD don't feel that fleshed out, but i think the reason for that is because we don't have the exotic classes yet. The roster is sort of 'core' in a way, with your standard warrior, rogue, ranger and caster atm. Pretty bland, but when new classes are released they will potentially be remedied by the possibility for odd combinations. Imagine a nightblade necromancer, or an occultist gunslinger

titan quest opened up a world of possibilities when it introduced dream, with sufficient classes, GD can do the same. At least i hope so lol
Old 09-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Praetorian

When in TQ did you ever actually use more than a few abilities? Most classes really only had a handful of skills that were even useful in late game... or even early game. In most cases you ended up maxing just a ton of buffs and passives and were stuck with one LMB skill, one debuff, a panic button and a boss killer skill. Maybe a pet or two...

Quote:
Even some of the more simpler builds like adding earth just to get pet and fire aura feel way more in depth than grim dawn does at the moment.
Or how about adding Demolitionist to your Soldier, so you can get the fire aura and fire strike skill? Or taking Occultist to your Nightblade so you can have the Raven's heal, the Curse, and the bonus damage from your Solael's Witchfire buff. Or maybe you can take Nightblade on your soldier so you can use Pneumatic Burst and increase your healing potential and speed while being really tanky with the shield? Or taking Soldier for your Occultist so you can have some extra HP and a great anti-death passive?

I could go on...

How is any of this different to what TQ provided? If you are making spammy builds, that's on you. I mean its not like this is new to the genre, not that GD is restricted to spammy builds, but its a choice. You can choose to spam forcewave, or have it on a long cooldown. Similar to Titan Quest, you could have had an Ice Shard caster, which is as spammy as a build can get...
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Acolyte

Could well be, I mean something is making not enjoy it as much, but I enjoy torchlight 1 and 2, diablo 2 and 3 ros. Poe I never got into the combat but the game is nice to watch.

Maybe just something about grim dawn that is different in the way it plays out. But I really do enjoy the items and crafting (my favourites in any game), and I love the champions. Hopefully when more expansions come out eventually, a class may grab my attention more.

EDIT: Im not a fan of soldier or nightblade at all, I usually play more caster based classes that use dots/hots or summoner type things. And if I do go for a melee its usually merged with a caster type thing for heals and auras and a pet of some sort. Talking about in all arpgs, just my way of playing, being a warrior and just hitting stuff is not the most exciting to me.

Last edited by swiftyhorn; 09-23-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Praetorian

Heavily disagree; the masteries in Grim Dawn are the biggest draw for me. It's tough to find a game where I LOVE all the classes.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Campaigner

Also, as others mentioned, more classes will be coming after release via expansion packs/DLC. It's rumored the first class added will be Necromancer, so that should help fill your need of summons/caster type skills. Also, arcanist is coming out pretty soon and will be the main caster class, so I think you should hold judgement till that happens, since as u said, u prefer casters. Sorceress was my fav class in d2, and blizzard my fav skill... So I am eagerly awaiting arcanist, especially because the Sky Shard skill looks like it may function similar to blizzard.

Last edited by Nerdy; 09-23-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
classes, masteries, skills