Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Durability for Items?
Yes, durability is a good idea 38 25.17%
No 113 74.83%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void(null) View Post
Oh my god I hate Item durability!

There simply isnt anything FUN about it. Its a pain in the ass, its needless and its lazy.

Item durability is a lazy and painful means of trying to restore some form of balance to a game economy, rather than properly balancing item values and drop rates to begin with.
unfair a bit picking on an old post.

anyway. I don't think durability is like that at all.

In my view, durability is an environmental pushback, a way to force the player to retreat to "civilization". the economic cost is usually/should be the least of the costs involved, it's a timesink, you gotta go back and repair.

that said, most ARPGs have a pretty strict inventory space which generally pushes players back to offload loot, so in that respect durability is pretty useless as a pushback.

another aspect of durability is it forces contingency planning. whadda you do when your primary breaks? STALKER for example you can't even repair so you're constantly accumulating replacements. Muramasa Demon Blade, blade breakage forces you onto a different blade with different abilities.

Conceivable for an ARPG, but most games of type have a portal system which lets you get back more or less instantly, so contingencies shortcut to: portal out.

last would be some sort of longer term pushback. is the player capable of managing the economic cost of a given weapon? a low level character using a potent and expensive weapon...except really that control is probably better handled through the more standard min lvl to use mechanic.

durability can probably be made to work, but in the absence of any info, i'll just trust crate to implement whatever works for them. my guess is no, since TQ didn't have it either.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 AM
Initiate

One of my most hated mechanics of all time. It's a lazy man's answer to ingame economies. There are other more positive ways to drain money. Item degradation is awful, and was never part of RPGing until recently.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Speaker

You know? i voted yes on the poll, but having recently helped myself to a large plate of D2 again, I see what the naysayers who say nay say. I'm against it now. It does feel very redundant. Sorry for terming you naysayers by the way.

Last edited by 999; 07-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Counsel

no, no and no. Just takes away from the flow in the gameplay :/

― Arthur C. Clarke

Proud owner of Loyalist edition!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Supporter

I like durability, for it reminds you that you have fought hard.
I like paying for making my items new again after a long big fight.
It adds to the playing pleasure, if it is a light feature.

Dying should not add to the damage on items, as dying is already a punishment.

Last edited by Vifarc; 02-25-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Speaker

The only game that got durability right was Daggerfall. You take your damaged armor or weapons to a blacksmith, and you leave it with him to fix over a period of days depending on how messed up it is. However, ARPGs don't have any room for that level of roleplay (or any, really), so yeah, it would be a novelty in this game to have any repairs.

I would still rather there be repairs, though. I don't care how asinine a concept is, if it adds any amount of complexity, it's worth including in today's streamlined games.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien View Post
One of my most hated mechanics of all time. It's a lazy man's answer to ingame economies. There are other more positive ways to drain money. Item degradation is awful, and was never part of RPGing until recently.
I don't think you were a part of RPGing until recently, if that's what you think.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Praetorian

I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to durability.

Yes it adds a gold and somewhat of a time sink and it can be annoying having to go back to town and repair your items, but it also adds a little bit of realism in the game in that things do break and wear down when you use them.

I am fine with either option as I am used to durability loss and don't mind repairing my items once in awhile.

Would be neat for a game to have items that can only be repaired so many times before it breaks (thus an affix for increased durability/invincibility would actually be useful). This way players would have to search for replacement items as backup which would force the player to adapt to using different kind of items which may compliment different play styles.

I did vote no, but if their was a third option for being not sure or not care I'd choose that.

Having durability loss may be annoying but it isn't gamebreaking.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Initiate

I do not like to run to the town to repair my items becouse i was smashing my enemies too hard :P. But idea to damage items only if you die is a good idea though. It will encourage us to not die, especially when repairing items wouldn't be cheap, so we will have some extra motivation in end game. I think it is worth a try.

Going on there could be a powerfull sort of items in the game which can not be repaired, that would add some extra fun and content to the game.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Lord Advocate

Closed due to necroing. The topic is also being discussed again here.
Closed Thread

Tags
combat, items