Old 08-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Advocate

I got a strong feeling that grim dawn is still strongly underrated by the community of h'n's players. But well hell maybe I'm just too old for all this so cold 'the best hns' so much going into the alley named 'mmo crap'. Nevermind, I'm so happy to have GD

Grim Dawn dla zielonych:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=916207134
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #132  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
I doubt anyone has hurt feelings over the post. I think mockery and humorous responses are the best. Clearly the person is a creature that shan't be named.
It really cut me to the core... I've now realized that selling a million copies only illustrates how we failed to sell copies to the remaining 7.499 billion people on Earth... what a colossal failure

please, excuse me... I need to go wipe away my tears with a handful of million dollar bills
Old 08-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
It really cut me to the core... I've now realized that selling a million copies only illustrates how we failed to sell copies to the remaining 7.499 billion people on Earth... what a colossal failure

please, excuse me... I need to go wipe away my tears with a handful of million dollar bills
I guess I could buy a few more copies and gift them to random strangers to help you guys out. If everyone who bought a copy just bought a 1000 more. I for one would feel better if you could wipe those tears with billion dollar bills instead.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdawn_Betatest View Post
I feel so sorry for the team, and even more for the game and its players.

After years and years of crawling with alpha versions, then beta versions, then finally a final version, the game then finally reaches its first million purchases.
And everybody appear to be celebrating this as a success... Seriously?

It is not like the developers, or at least its core part, has started everything from scratch. They could have learned more from the game on which this one is partially based: Titan quest (which appears to have reached its first million sales within 16-18 months), and more importantly, they could have learned anything from the game that has defined the basics of this genre 15 years ago: Diablo II (which has reached the first million within its first month of release).

But no, there is always the same hopeless feeling with each update and announcement here of disconnection with the reality, of not wanting to learn anything and of keeping moving on regardless of where it goes.

Should the developers have learned the most basic from the Diablo II reference, a game with the potential of Grim Dawn could have reached its first million within the first 4-5 months after its release at latest.
But 14 months later... Seriously?...

To find a comparison within the same timeline and nowadays environment, the most related competitor would probably be Path of Exile, but a comparison of the sales histories would not make much sense since the game is based on different mechanics and on a different business model.

Such celebration unfortunately shows nothing more but how much the team does not want to relate with the reality of its industry and how much its fanbase is completely clueless about what is going on around...

I am so sorry for this game. Such announcement couldn't be a clearer sign of the failure of the choices of its core mechanics, platform setup, community management etc, and everybody here is celebrating this... wow.... This is very weird.
This constant need to put Diablo 2 on a damn pedestal like it's some holy grail of gaming is seriously starting to piss me off. This is getting to levels of Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7 levels of bad.

Because god forbid any ARPG just ignore what Diablo 2 did and try to do their own thing. But no, every ARPG has to either copy what it did or take stuff from it, because they obviously can't do anything new on their own.

This constant over glorification of Diablo 2 just made me hate it. Yup, i hate a game that i even haven't played. It's stupid but i don't care, i'll never touch Diablo 2 even with a 20 feet long pole. See what happens when you constantly over praise something? In a lot of cases it just drives people off.

Also, who cares if any ARPG is the "sucessor of Diablo 2"? What does it matter? Is Diablo 2 gone and other ARPGs need to replace it? No, not in the slightest. Is it also a fact that it's the best ARPG? No, it isn't either. it's just opinions in the end, not some cold hard, scientific fact.

All i see from Diablo 2 now is this oppressive shadow that completely stifles creativity, because every ARPG has to take things from it apparently.

Last edited by Norzan; 08-23-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory_portman View Post
I got a strong feeling that grim dawn is still strongly underrated by the community of h'n's players. But well hell maybe I'm just too old for all this so cold 'the best hns' so much going into the alley named 'mmo crap'. Nevermind, I'm so happy to have GD
Actually GD isn't as well marketed as the other more popular ones (i think). It does feel underrated to me and I hope Asses of Malmouth manages to pull more people in since this game deserves as much recognition it can get

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Diablo II: RoT Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #136  
Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I mean really though, I'm sure there are ways Grim Dawn could be better. There are some things I think we could have done better if we'd had more money at the start. There are some decisions that, now that I've seen how they played out, I think could have been done better. And sure, GD is obviously nowhere near the best selling ARPG of all time...

However, for a project that grew from just me and a some part-time help, with no funding, to what it became, I'd say we did okay. Even with all the KS and EA money we dumped into GD, the budget was still about 1/3 of TQs but it beat TQ in review score by a significant margin and probably has surpassed it in profit by now. My real goal though was to start a company where I had the creative freedom to make the kind of games I was passionate about, not to break Blizzard's sales records. We have a team of 13 people now and money to create more games... seems like a win.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Apostle

Quote:
seems like a win.
Seems like an understatement

Its great to see how far the team has managed to come and it'd be even more interesting to see how far you guys go. I wish y'all good luck and do thank you guys for providing us an awesome game

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Diablo II: RoT Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Houck View Post
Nydiamar Mod
Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Counsel

Quote:
I mean really though, I'm sure there are ways Grim Dawn could be better. There are some things I think we could have done better if we'd had more money at the start. There are some decisions that, now that I've seen how they played out, I think could have been done better. And sure, GD is obviously nowhere near the best selling ARPG of all time...

However, for a project that grew from just me and a some part-time help, with no funding, to what it became, I'd say we did okay. Even with all the KS and EA money we dumped into GD, the budget was still about 1/3 of TQs but it beat TQ in review score by a significant margin and probably has surpassed it in profit by now. My real goal though was to start a company where I had the creative freedom to make the kind of games I was passionate about, not to break Blizzard's sales records. We have a team of 13 people now and money to create more games... seems like a win.
All of you did great job in Grim Dawn. Absolutely no doubt about that. I wish for more teams like Crate. You showed truly honest approach to community and to job.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Campaigner

Quote:

Perfect time to be Evil Medierra! Quick, delete this and log back in evil mode to repost it. I miss when you used to school trolls as evil medierra.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
Its great to see how far the team has managed to come and it'd be even more interesting to see how far you guys go. I wish y'all good luck and do thank you guys for providing us an awesome game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylla View Post
All of you did great job in Grim Dawn. Absolutely no doubt about that. I wish for more teams like Crate. You showed truly honest approach to community and to job.
+1 to This
Grim Dawn is really Awesome and Great Game !