Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 12-31-2017, 07:41 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Fined? Try prison time. This is effectively attempted murder by proxy and should carry a stiff prison sentence. Prank, my ass.
No it is not attempted murder, unless you equate the police to a mafia hitman.

I assume you will have a hard time proving even manslaughter, given that there was no way the caller could know the police would shoot anyone as a result of the call (let alone that the shot would be fatal).
I expect that all you can charge him with is making a fake call that results in unnecessary police work, like making a fake bomb call or some such thing, no idea what kind of sentence that carries though.

Last edited by mamba; 12-31-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
No it is not attempted murder, unless you equate the police to a mafia hitman.
They're not far from it. The point of swatting is to get someone seriously hurt. Telling a bunch of triggerhappy jackasses that some dude has a gun/bomb/whatever and is going to hurt lots of people with it/is in the process of hurting people with it is basically siccing a death squad on someone.

If I pick up a gun, and I don't know if it has bullets in it or not, and I point it at someone and pull the trigger to "scare" them and it ends up firing and killing them, I'm guilty of negligent homicide or possibly 2nd degree murder if the prosecutor's feeling good about their case against me. Uncertainty of whether something will kill or not is not an excuse.

Last edited by Tycho; 12-31-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I don't know. Trying to get a SWAT team out means they pretty much expect them to go in loaded for bear. I think manslaughter would be the right charge in this case, if only to get it through some peoples' extremely thick skulls that this is not a game they're playing. It's real life and it will have consequences for them personally - very serious ones.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Oh, I don't know. Trying to get a SWAT team out means they pretty much expect them to go in loaded for bear. I think manslaughter would be the right charge in this case, if only to get it through some peoples' extremely thick skulls that this is not a game they're playing. It's real life and it will have consequences for them personally - very serious ones.
This punk deserves a trip to fuck-me-in-the-ass prison for a few years IMO and I wouldn't shed a tear if he got shivved in there.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
They're not far from it.
they definitely should be at the opposite end though, if they are not, that should be addressed and you cannot blame this on prank calls

Quote:
The point of swatting is to get someone seriously hurt.
is it ? I see it more as a prank akin to what you could see on shows like punk'd, except that you pull it off without having your own crew. I don't think the callers expect that anything happens beyond a good scare, certainly not shots getting fired and people killed.

Quote:
If I pick up a gun, and I don't know if it has bullets in it or not, and I point it at someone and pull the trigger to "scare" them and it ends up firing and killing them, I'm guilty of negligent homicide or possibly 2nd degree murder
yes, this is not at all what happened here however, again unless you equate the police to a loaded gun, which you basically continue doing
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Oh, I don't know. Trying to get a SWAT team out means they pretty much expect them to go in loaded for bear. I think manslaughter would be the right charge in this case, if only to get it through some peoples' extremely thick skulls that this is not a game they're playing.
charge him with whatever you think you are likely you can prove, I just think you will have a hard time proving this, but hey, maybe you can make a case for it. Proving this definitely is not a slam dunk imo, but probably not entirely impossible either

Regardless of what you can sentence the prank caller with, it should not be forgotten that if the police were not this trigger-happy nothing would have happened here. To me most of the blame should go to the police here, they are the ones who actually ended up killing a guy by completely misjudging things (and I am not talking about the hostage situation as it was described to them, that should be your operating assumption at that point, but when you knock and someone opens the door and steps out to talk to you, he should not end up being shot).

Last edited by mamba; 12-31-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned User

Quote:
yes, this is not at all what happened here however, again unless you equate the police to a loaded gun, which you basically continue doing
Because they effectively ARE walking loaded guns. And the trigger finger is itchy as hell a lot of the time, it seems. This is why they SWAT people, for crying out loud, it's NOT just a prank, it's "I'm going to roll the dice with your life as the stakes" because cops and PARTICULARLY SWAT teams are practically fucking hitmen at this point in time.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Because they effectively ARE walking loaded guns. And the trigger finger is itchy as hell a lot of the time, it seems.
I see this as a bigger problem than some prank calls then however...
Old 12-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned User

Quote:
I see this as a bigger problem than some prank calls then however...
The cops are DEFINITELY a problem but people who know they're a problem and use them as hit squads are also a problem. I'm not letting the cops off easy anywhere in my posts, but they ARE loaded guns and some fucksticks have figured out how to get them pointed at people who they shouldn't be pointed at. Fixing cops is a long term goal. Short term goal is to convict this asshole SWATter for whatever they can get him for, hopefully better than manslaughter but I'm not holding my breath.

It is a HUGE mistake to dismiss this as a "prank call". This is someone who likely knew full well he was playing dice with someone else's life and DIDN'T CARE. Don't let him off easy like that, he's not a prankster, he's a fucking criminal/psychopath. (he also has a prior for calling in bomb threats, such a "prankster", this guy)

Last edited by Tycho; 12-31-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The cops are DEFINITELY a problem but people who know they're a problem and use them as hit squads are also a problem. I'm not letting the cops off easy anywhere in my posts, but they ARE loaded guns and some fucksticks have figured out how to get them pointed at people who they shouldn't be pointed at. Fixing cops is a long term goal. Short term goal is to convict this asshole SWATter for whatever they can get him for, hopefully better than manslaughter but I'm not holding my breath.

It is a HUGE mistake to dismiss this as a "prank call". This is someone who likely knew full well he was playing dice with someone else's life and DIDN'T CARE. Don't let him off easy like that, he's not a prankster, he's a fucking criminal/psychopath. (he also has a prior for calling in bomb threats, such a "prankster", this guy)
Quite. This sort of thing is not a prank, however much people may try and make out it is.