Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 12-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Advocate

Default Fuck Climate Change

It's been over 20°C all fucking night, which due to one of the anti-depressants I take to remain functional, meant it was too fucking hot to fucking sleep and it's not meant to be this hot at this time of the fucking year in my part of NZ vis the historical records. But thanks to climate change, the temperatures having slowly been creeping up and add in the ocean temperature anomaly caused by La Nina and say hello to fucking hotter nights. Complete with blocking highs that stop any southerly's, with their cooler weather, in their tracks. Which is possibly going to make the next couple of months fucking horrible, even with anti-depressants to keep me sane-ish.

It's almost enough to make me migrate to the high country, since it can snow there even in summer, even if the days can be stinking hot. At least though I'll get a bumper crop of chilli's provided all this lack of fucking sleep doesn't mess with watering them properly.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Herald

Do you not own a fan or an air conditioner?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Herald

Wait, isn't it late spring going on summer in the Southern Hemisphere? Shouldn't that be kind of normal?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg View Post
Do you not own a fan or an air conditioner?
Air cons are more an Australian thing (i.e. Queensland, Northern Territory) and me and noise while trying to get to sleep do not mix in the slightest, so fans are annoyingly out, even with ear plugs. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen a house here in Christchurch that has air conditioners, because usually night temps drop below 20°C. Unless the Tasman Sea weather systems are sucking in hot air from Australia of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Wait, isn't it late spring going on summer in the Southern Hemisphere? Shouldn't that be kind of normal?
Not really for coastal NZ, as usually the ocean takes until January to warm fully up and so helps keep night temps cooler until then, following the usual latitude temp distro of course. Even then, the worst of the heat usually doesn't hit until February.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 AM
Herald

What antidepressant? Never had one that caused issues with my sleep, and I've had a lot.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:51 AM
Advocate

Quote:
What antidepressant? Never had one that caused issues with my sleep, and I've had a lot.
Nortriptyline, it's a tricyclic anti-depressant that works very well with citalopram, but the side effects include increased sweating, thermoregulation issues when it's hot and fun with morning sweats, along with weight gain. Not exactly helped by me being obese, but when I'm off it or use aspirin/panadol I don't overheat. Found that out the hard way doing a 2 day tramp and forgot the painkillers, ended up with mild heat stroke in forested parts of the track and it utterly sapped my strength.

Oh well, getting back into doing 20Km cycle rides 3+ a week (as long as it's not raining or over 32°C with little wind) and eventually ramp it up to 100Km/week. Which will help greatly with loosing weight, and help make the current years long depressive episode probably finally fuck off.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:55 AM
Herald

They still use tricyclics? I haven't been on a tricyclic (Imipramine) in 20 years. Good gravy. I mean, I know with psychotropics it's a "whatever works" situation but... and why both a tricyclic and an SSRI?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Advocate

Quote:
They still use tricyclics? I haven't been on a tricyclic (Imipramine) in 20 years. Good gravy. I mean, I know with psychotropics it's a "whatever works" situation but... and why both a tricyclic and an SSRI?
The two apparently boost each others positive effects, which is good for me, since being on Nortriptyline has saved my arse twice now from the worst of two bad depressive episodes. Though I'll be happy once the new 4th generation anti-depressants come out, since the drug companies have managed to find NMDA receptor targeting drugs that replicate ketamine's potent, fast acting anti-depressant effects without the dissociative effects. Since it means I'll probably be able to get of nortriptyline finally, as found out the hard way I'm not very resilient to stress while off it.

Unfortunately the new drugs are around 4-5 years away, as they're still in clinical trials, but given the apparent greater rate of response with them compared to SSRI's uptake by various health care bodies should be pretty quick. Provided of course the fucking pharma companies don't price gouge and the insurance companies don't be utter douchebags.

edit - oh and there's another reason to use tricyclics and even older MOAI drugs, in about 45% of cases SSRI's will not improve a person's depression symptoms, leaving older drugs as the next option.

Last edited by The_Mess; 12-10-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mess View Post
The two apparently boost each others positive effects, which is good for me, since being on Nortriptyline has saved my arse twice now from the worst of two bad depressive episodes. Though I'll be happy once the new 4th generation anti-depressants come out, since the drug companies have managed to find NMDA receptor targeting drugs that replicate ketamine's potent, fast acting anti-depressant effects without the dissociative effects. Since it means I'll probably be able to get of nortriptyline finally, as found out the hard way I'm not very resilient to stress while off it.

Unfortunately the new drugs are around 4-5 years away, as they're still in clinical trials, but given the apparent greater rate of response with them compared to SSRI's uptake by various health care bodies should be pretty quick. Provided of course the fucking pharma companies don't price gouge and the insurance companies don't be utter douchebags.

edit - oh and there's another reason to use tricyclics and even older MOAI drugs, in about 45% of cases SSRI's will not improve a person's depression symptoms, leaving older drugs as the next option.
Re: pharma and insurance companies not being utter douchebags - don't hold your breath on that. But huh, interesting. MAOIs are scary though. I can kind of understand that sometimes old drugs work best (I'm on lithium because so few other things seemed to help) but they've seemingly very deliberately steered away from tricyclics here in the States, favoring SSRIs heavily and SNRIs at times. (The prevalence of prescribed antipsychotics for non-psychotic people is a serious concern, though, and makes me really wonder what the hell is going on)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Initiate

Default Chimate change is misrepresented

Why climate change sucks? I strongly feel it's the media that has made it into a joke and a source to go viral. They neglected to connect it well with the natural events while just threw the 2 C's around.

I was reading up and found that Only around 9% of News stories on record floods and historic wildfires discussed climate change and just about 4% of them looking at last year’s hyped-up hurricanes.
News items on extreme weather events like the heat waves or hurricanes often neglect to mention the full impact of climate change that makes these events more damaging and intense.