Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2017, 05:52 PM
The_Mess The_Mess is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 564
Default Fuck Climate Change

It's been over 20°C all fucking night, which due to one of the anti-depressants I take to remain functional, meant it was too fucking hot to fucking sleep and it's not meant to be this hot at this time of the fucking year in my part of NZ vis the historical records. But thanks to climate change, the temperatures having slowly been creeping up and add in the ocean temperature anomaly caused by La Nina and say hello to fucking hotter nights. Complete with blocking highs that stop any southerly's, with their cooler weather, in their tracks. Which is possibly going to make the next couple of months fucking horrible, even with anti-depressants to keep me sane-ish.

It's almost enough to make me migrate to the high country, since it can snow there even in summer, even if the days can be stinking hot. At least though I'll get a bumper crop of chilli's provided all this lack of fucking sleep doesn't mess with watering them properly.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Stg's Avatar
Stg Stg is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,192
Default

Do you not own a fan or an air conditioner?
__________________
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 8GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Tycho's Avatar
Tycho Tycho is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,214
Default

Wait, isn't it late spring going on summer in the Southern Hemisphere? Shouldn't that be kind of normal?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 AM
The_Mess The_Mess is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg View Post
Do you not own a fan or an air conditioner?
Air cons are more an Australian thing (i.e. Queensland, Northern Territory) and me and noise while trying to get to sleep do not mix in the slightest, so fans are annoyingly out, even with ear plugs. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen a house here in Christchurch that has air conditioners, because usually night temps drop below 20°C. Unless the Tasman Sea weather systems are sucking in hot air from Australia of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Wait, isn't it late spring going on summer in the Southern Hemisphere? Shouldn't that be kind of normal?
Not really for coastal NZ, as usually the ocean takes until January to warm fully up and so helps keep night temps cooler until then, following the usual latitude temp distro of course. Even then, the worst of the heat usually doesn't hit until February.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 AM
Tycho's Avatar
Tycho Tycho is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,214
Default

What antidepressant? Never had one that caused issues with my sleep, and I've had a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:51 AM
The_Mess The_Mess is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
What antidepressant? Never had one that caused issues with my sleep, and I've had a lot.
Nortriptyline, it's a tricyclic anti-depressant that works very well with citalopram, but the side effects include increased sweating, thermoregulation issues when it's hot and fun with morning sweats, along with weight gain. Not exactly helped by me being obese, but when I'm off it or use aspirin/panadol I don't overheat. Found that out the hard way doing a 2 day tramp and forgot the painkillers, ended up with mild heat stroke in forested parts of the track and it utterly sapped my strength.

Oh well, getting back into doing 20Km cycle rides 3+ a week (as long as it's not raining or over 32°C with little wind) and eventually ramp it up to 100Km/week. Which will help greatly with loosing weight, and help make the current years long depressive episode probably finally fuck off.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2017, 03:55 AM
Tycho's Avatar
Tycho Tycho is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,214
Default

They still use tricyclics? I haven't been on a tricyclic (Imipramine) in 20 years. Good gravy. I mean, I know with psychotropics it's a "whatever works" situation but... and why both a tricyclic and an SSRI?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 PM
The_Mess The_Mess is offline
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
They still use tricyclics? I haven't been on a tricyclic (Imipramine) in 20 years. Good gravy. I mean, I know with psychotropics it's a "whatever works" situation but... and why both a tricyclic and an SSRI?
The two apparently boost each others positive effects, which is good for me, since being on Nortriptyline has saved my arse twice now from the worst of two bad depressive episodes. Though I'll be happy once the new 4th generation anti-depressants come out, since the drug companies have managed to find NMDA receptor targeting drugs that replicate ketamine's potent, fast acting anti-depressant effects without the dissociative effects. Since it means I'll probably be able to get of nortriptyline finally, as found out the hard way I'm not very resilient to stress while off it.

Unfortunately the new drugs are around 4-5 years away, as they're still in clinical trials, but given the apparent greater rate of response with them compared to SSRI's uptake by various health care bodies should be pretty quick. Provided of course the fucking pharma companies don't price gouge and the insurance companies don't be utter douchebags.

edit - oh and there's another reason to use tricyclics and even older MOAI drugs, in about 45% of cases SSRI's will not improve a person's depression symptoms, leaving older drugs as the next option.

Last edited by The_Mess; 12-10-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Tycho's Avatar
Tycho Tycho is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mess View Post
The two apparently boost each others positive effects, which is good for me, since being on Nortriptyline has saved my arse twice now from the worst of two bad depressive episodes. Though I'll be happy once the new 4th generation anti-depressants come out, since the drug companies have managed to find NMDA receptor targeting drugs that replicate ketamine's potent, fast acting anti-depressant effects without the dissociative effects. Since it means I'll probably be able to get of nortriptyline finally, as found out the hard way I'm not very resilient to stress while off it.

Unfortunately the new drugs are around 4-5 years away, as they're still in clinical trials, but given the apparent greater rate of response with them compared to SSRI's uptake by various health care bodies should be pretty quick. Provided of course the fucking pharma companies don't price gouge and the insurance companies don't be utter douchebags.

edit - oh and there's another reason to use tricyclics and even older MOAI drugs, in about 45% of cases SSRI's will not improve a person's depression symptoms, leaving older drugs as the next option.
Re: pharma and insurance companies not being utter douchebags - don't hold your breath on that. But huh, interesting. MAOIs are scary though. I can kind of understand that sometimes old drugs work best (I'm on lithium because so few other things seemed to help) but they've seemingly very deliberately steered away from tricyclics here in the States, favoring SSRIs heavily and SNRIs at times. (The prevalence of prescribed antipsychotics for non-psychotic people is a serious concern, though, and makes me really wonder what the hell is going on)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Kycoo Kycoo is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Default Chimate change is misrepresented

Why climate change sucks? I strongly feel it's the media that has made it into a joke and a source to go viral. They neglected to connect it well with the natural events while just threw the 2 C's around.

I was reading up and found that Only around 9% of News stories on record floods and historic wildfires discussed climate change and just about 4% of them looking at last year’s hyped-up hurricanes.
News items on extreme weather events like the heat waves or hurricanes often neglect to mention the full impact of climate change that makes these events more damaging and intense.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.