Old 12-03-2017, 05:23 AM
Supporter

Default Kobo and other ereaders

The upside of a Kobo: you aren't just carrying the book you're reading; you're carrying your whole *library*!

The downside of a Kobo: you haven't just bricked the book you're reading; you've just bricked your entire *library*!

Beche de mer, this is aggravating.

Just saying.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CainMaris View Post
The upside of a Kobo: you aren't just carrying the book you're reading; you're carrying your whole *library*!

The downside of a Kobo: you haven't just bricked the book you're reading; you've just bricked your entire *library*!

Beche de mer, this is aggravating.

Just saying.
What do you mean by bricked - as in the bloody kobo's stopped working entirely or all the reading meta data/drm permissions is f*cked?

Also - it's always worth copying over all the kobo data to your computer as often as you can manage. Saves a lot of messing around if the bloody screen dies like it did on my first one. Though on the second version and up all the OS data etc is stored on a microSD card, meaning that you can save yourself from buying a replacement kobo if it's only the SD card that's died.

Oh and my own annoyances - more recent firmware borked what was a pretty easy to use library interface and now it only shows 5 books per page and the screen doesn't refresh when flicking through it either. So not updating the firmware on my first one once I get around to finding a replacement screen, though that assumes it was just the screen that was at fault and not any of the motherboard chips...
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mess View Post
What do you mean by bricked - as in the bloody kobo's stopped working entirely or all the reading meta data/drm permissions is f*cked?
"Bricked" is usually a term associated with rooting a piece of hardware such as a Wii, an Xbox, a router, your cellphone or e-reader/tablet etc. and installing custom ROMS and the like. If you do something wrong you can turn your device into a brick, whereupon it is about as useful as a paperweight now.

There are soft bricks, where the device is stuck in a bootloop over and over. These can be recovered from a bit easier than a hard brick, where the device will no longer even turn on anymore.

When I hear the term bricked in connection with such hardware this is what comes to mind for me.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Last edited by powbam; 12-03-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Emissary

You should still have access to your library via Kobo site (for Kobo purchases) or external backups (for non-kobo purchase).

The Fermi Paradox is God nerfing Civilization: Reality Edition.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:23 AM
Supporter

Thanks for the kind words.

Still have all the books - Calibre is a life saver for anything that isn't DRMed, and what is DRMed is almost always still available - Amazon willin' and the Creek don't rise.

In any event, this Kobo didn't brick itself as thoroughly as has happened in the past - I managed a factory reset and it's responding again. So that moment of absolute cosmic angst was ... somewhat overstated. Just a matter of reloading my library onto it. Again.

(Round hereabouts it's not uncommon to use "bricked" to mean "transformed itself from a useful object into a lightweight plastic brick". Behavior exhibited by phones, ipods and ereaders alike under a variety of conditions. Apparently not so widespread, as usage goes.)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CainMaris View Post
Still have all the books - Calibre is a life saver for anything that isn't DRMed, and what is DRMed is almost always still available - Amazon willin' and the Creek don't rise.
Read your ebook purchases where and when you want
http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...alibre-1291960
Old 12-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Herald

I used to have a Kindle for college. Kind of handy but I really prefer books when I can get them. (It fell down an entire flight of stairs and exploded like the Death Star, before you ask)
Old 12-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I used to have a Kindle for college. Kind of handy but I really prefer books when I can get them. (It fell down an entire flight of stairs and exploded like the Death Star, before you ask)
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than Kindles.

The Fermi Paradox is God nerfing Civilization: Reality Edition.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersgaze View Post
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than Kindles.
It would have been funny if it didn't contain a third of my textbooks for that semester. It cartwheeled down the stairs, shedding parts hither and thither before slamming into the wall and developing a split personality. It was seriously almost cinematic.