Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Advocate

Default Melee Ritualist - any FG developments?

So I've been playing up a baby Necromancer and wanted to try something different, and I've never done anything with Bone Harvest, so I started looking at that skill. And as I started to research the *to me incredibly obvious* combination of 2H Necro with Shaman I became more and more puzzled. Why is there such poor support for this combo? And why in the world would Bloodrender be one-handed? When my choices for Necro melee are coming down to two-handed Nightshade vs dual-wield Shaman the only possible conclusion is that Barry screwed this timeline.

Korvan Reaping Blades miss the point that the skill transmuter means there's no physical left for the weapon to convert.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on melee ritualist in the current post-FG state of the game?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Praetorian

Try Wildblood Crusher and 3-4p Blood Knight set.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM
Lord Advocate

This new faction weapon seems interesting https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/11707
This is gonna be a new addition to my signature
YouTube: malawiglenn
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Initiate

I can't speak for FG as I just returned this week after a long break, but I was playing a Vitality/Aether DW Ritualist. I am around level 80-82 I think. I played through the main campaign and I think I was in Malmouth on Elite last time I was active. I rarely had any issues while levelling (at least that I can remember). I hope to get back to playing during this long weekend so I can post my build if you are interested. Definitely not optimised but it might be a starting point.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Champion

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyed6eZ

Something I just made with the new sword, it's ... not very good. Damage is fine but it seriously lacks DA and honestly the resists are barely acceptable. SR will destroy this even though it has almost silly amounts of ADCTH and wendigo totem. Without DA, you're dead either way. Also it has no stun resist. The blood knight set is lacking without soldier to support it with its passives.

Edit: it also needs 29 points in cunning to use the sword, the damage bonus from that is largely wasted on vitality, although you get some useful OA

Last edited by Avyctes; 04-18-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:46 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post

Something I just made with the new sword, it's ... not very good.
This is very much along the same lines I was thinking, and I'm not seeing a lot of ways to make it better. =( Thanks for the effort.

I did notice some interesting Bone Harvest Fire conversion stuff on the Solael merchant, I'm thinking of pivoting to a melee Defiler instead.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:15 AM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post

Something I just made with the new sword, it's ... not very good. Damage is fine but it seriously lacks DA and honestly the resists are barely acceptable. SR will destroy this even though it has almost silly amounts of ADCTH and wendigo totem. Without DA, you're dead either way. Also it has no stun resist. The blood knight set is lacking without soldier to support it with its passives.

Edit: it also needs 29 points in cunning to use the sword, the damage bonus from that is largely wasted on vitality, although you get some useful OA
You COULD do better with greens (well a bit). A problem I always have with melee vitality is OA/DA
This is gonna be a new addition to my signature
YouTube: malawiglenn

Last edited by malawiglenn; 04-18-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 AM
Champion

The blood knight set really depends on soldier skills I've come to conclude. With some scars of battle the stun resist won't be such a problem, you can shift some components thanks to the added absorption and field command would give it at least passable DA. Interesting experiment either way, but not something I'd make.