Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 PM
MortalKombat's Avatar
MortalKombat MortalKombat is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0vahkiin View Post
Hi all.
I was wondering, during the levelling, do you max soldier skills first before beginning Occulist skills or not ?
I am a beginner in GD and I wonder if I better go on Oleron Rage before going on Possession ? Or is it better to rush Possesion and not completing Soldier's skills tree ?
Thanks for answering.
Usually, you want to max important soldier skills first, such as Forcewave. Well, maybe with an exception of Curse of Frailty (which doesnt require much investment). And Oleron's Rage is great for leveling, cause you move faster and hit harder.
__________________
There is no knowledge. That is not power.

My build/guide:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64706
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM
D0vahkiin D0vahkiin is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortalKombat View Post
Usually, you want to max important soldier skills first, such as Forcewave. Well, maybe with an exception of Curse of Frailty (which doesnt require much investment). And Oleron's Rage is great for leveling, cause you move faster and hit harder.
Ok thx. I already maxed FW and I put 3 or 4 points in Curse of Frailty.
I'm lvl42 atm, so I think I gonna max Rage of Oleron in the next levels, and begin to max Occultist's skills around lvl 50-55, what do u think ?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:58 PM
MortalKombat's Avatar
MortalKombat MortalKombat is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0vahkiin View Post
Ok thx. I already maxed FW and I put 3 or 4 points in Curse of Frailty.
I'm lvl42 atm, so I think I gonna max Rage of Oleron in the next levels, and begin to max Occultist's skills around lvl 50-55, what do u think ?
It's OK, i think. It's just levelling, after all.
Game gets somewhat hard only in AoM content, and really hard - only in Crucible. Everything else is faceroll content, that you should slice though, like hot knife through butter, eating a burger in hand while watching TV.
__________________
There is no knowledge. That is not power.

My build/guide:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64706
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:02 PM
D0vahkiin D0vahkiin is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortalKombat View Post
It's OK, i think. It's just levelling, after all.
Game gets somewhat hard only in AoM content, and really hard - only in Crucible. Everything else is faceroll content, that you should slice though, like hot knife through butter, eating a burger in hand while watching TV.
Yeah, it was true with my Cabalist, but I had more difficulties with my Tactician Phys/FW which was my first build. So I try the Witchblade which is maybe safer than the Tactician. We will see ..
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Neflak Neflak is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Is the advice for crucible farming in this guide still relevant? I just picked up the games a few weeks ago, used this guide for my first 100 and it is a beast build. I am 100 and have beat ultimate, plus gotten all attributes+skills, so I am looking to min/max crucible farming a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 PM
MortalKombat's Avatar
MortalKombat MortalKombat is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neflak View Post
Is the advice for crucible farming in this guide still relevant? I just picked up the games a few weeks ago, used this guide for my first 100 and it is a beast build. I am 100 and have beat ultimate, plus gotten all attributes+skills, so I am looking to min/max crucible farming a bit.
Well, those were adviced for waves up to 150 (at the time 150 was the max wave). They're still relevant for a weaker character, though with all nerfs to crucible in latest patches, a decent character shouldnt have any issue with them, and beating all waves (151-170) is doable with my build too (i did it several times), though it's a bit dangerous and isnt worth rewards, actually (for rewards, it's still better safely farm 130-150 waves).
__________________
There is no knowledge. That is not power.

My build/guide:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64706
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM
ya_ ya_ is online now
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neflak View Post
Is the advice for crucible farming in this guide still relevant? I just picked up the games a few weeks ago, used this guide for my first 100 and it is a beast build. I am 100 and have beat ultimate, plus gotten all attributes+skills, so I am looking to min/max crucible farming a bit.
I’ve had some reservations for this build in the past because of the unorthodox choices but now I see that different doesn’t mean worse (I personally stick with Oleron and use Break Morale - even on fire justicar - to preemptively disrupt enemy dispruption). It’s designed for safety and farming crucible shouldn’t be a problem unless you’re fixated on clear times: all res have major overcaps, dmg absorb works great, phys res is whopping, etc. Most bang for buck is 150-160, 140-160 and 140-150/160.

The only thing I would change specifically for crucible is swap Harp devotion for Tower and Black Tallow on the medal for Arcane Spark: you don’t need that much energy regen with blessings in 150+ and chaos res is already beyond all safety standards. And maybe use open/closed ringset especially if you don’t have any good green jewelry.

Last edited by ya_; 12-09-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Neflak Neflak is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
Iíve had some reservations for this build in the past because of the unorthodox choices but now I see that different doesnít mean worse (I personally stick with Oleron and use Break Morale - even on fire justicar - to preemptively disrupt enemy dispruption). Itís designed for safety and farming crucible shouldnít be a problem unless youíre fixated on clear times: all res have major overcaps, dmg absorb works great, phys res is whopping, etc. Most bang for buck is 150-160, 140-160 and 140-150/160.

The only thing I would change specifically for crucible is swap Harp devotion for Tower and Black Tallow on the medal for Arcane Spark: you donít need that much energy regen with blessings in 150+ and chaos res is already beyond all safety standards. And maybe use open/closed ringset especially if you donít have any good green jewelry.
Hey, thanks for the detailed response! The only thing I didn't quite understand in your response was which devotion you are referencing by saying "tower", I am going to assume it is Solemn Watcher. If that is so, it doesn't really seem like a huge boost in comparison. What is your thought process behind changing out harp? Just that you don't need that much energy regen?

Not sure what you mean by the open/closed ringset... I have some decent rare rings but nothing like what the OP has.

Right now I am struggling to consistently clear up to 130 gladiator. Maybe doing challenger 150-170 is more efficient for me? I use the offensive tower with offensive buff and defensive buff. However unbuffed I am sitting @ 14k health, 2.5k OA 2.4k DA 41k dps 1900 armor/100% absorb with 69% stun reduction with buffs up (possession/counter strike/field command)
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 AM
Neflak Neflak is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortalKombat View Post
Well, those were adviced for waves up to 150 (at the time 150 was the max wave). They're still relevant for a weaker character, though with all nerfs to crucible in latest patches, a decent character shouldnt have any issue with them, and beating all waves (151-170) is doable with my build too (i did it several times), though it's a bit dangerous and isnt worth rewards, actually (for rewards, it's still better safely farm 130-150 waves).
If I am unable to do gladiator 130-150, what is the other alternative? My gear is not up to your standard quite yet. 41k dps/2.5k OA / 2.4k DA / 1.9k armor w/ 100% absorb and 30%+ overcapped on all resists except stun which is 69% and physical resist which is 27%.

Maybe I just need more practice and to position better? Let me know if I should be able to do gladiator with those stats.

Thank you for your time and your guide! It was awesome, my only suggestion would be to copy the advice you give in the middle of this thread on devotion leveling and/or skill ordering for leveling and throw them in the main post of the guide, I wondered the same stuff myself and eventually found it. THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 AM
ya_ ya_ is online now
Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 519
Smile

Sorry to hijack the thread. It just so happens I got time to reply so I will.

Tower, yes, itís solemn watcher. It gives DA which is quite important at higher levels of crucible taking into account the number of hits you take. Keeping DA over 3000 is highly advisable especially when you donít have much experience in piloting. If you still feel like you die too much Iíd even go further east with devotions and try to pick up the bottom nodes of Menhir.

Mythical Open Hand of Mercy and Mythical Closed Fist of Vengeance.

Keeping stun res at 80 isnít that crucial IMO. 50 is enough unless you wanna be super safe. DA, OA are low. Donít beat yourself up on not being able to clear gladiator all the way to 170. Only fully specced endgame toons can do it and only with some skill applied. Thereís a good guide on piloting Crucible somewhere in this forum.

IMO Crucible is best for farming gear even on lower difficulties. Second best option is farming roguelikes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, forcewave, witchblade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletinģ 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.