Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 AM
actuanpanda's Avatar
actuanpanda actuanpanda is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
Default [1.0.4.0] An obvious Octavius build for reliable 150-170 farming, no MIs required

So with the new waves our glorious tanky DOT meta is back. I find it weird that almost no one talked about our boy Octavius, who was made for that particular purpose: A tanky DOT caster. Zhuugus mentioned his own setup in his thread but I think it deserve a separate one so here we go.
The Build



Grimtools

Devotions:

This part is interesting, we went with a maximum tankiness route using quadruple tier 3 constellations thus having 3 powerful defensive procs:
- Healing Rain from Tree of Life.
- Nature's Guardians with 45% damage absorbtion from Ishtak.
- Stonefrom with 400 flat damage absorbtion from Menhir.
At least one of them will pop up most of the time, also with Light of Empyrion we basically get permanent Warcry.

Why Witchblade instead of Tactician?
Tactician seems to the most obvious Octavius but I'll just quoting myself here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by actuanpanda View Post
I think a Witchblade or Deathknight is better than Tactician despite the fact the the set was obviously made for Tacticians. I took a look at the Inq bonuses:
+ 2 to Steel Resolve and Vior: Meh, these two are easy to softcap anyway.
+ 12% armor to WoR: Good, but Blood of Dreeg or Mark of Torment is better for survival. It's not the physical hitters that kill you with this build anyway.
+ 1 Inquisitor: Actually meh, you only need a few support skills from Inq tree which are all easy to softcap.
- No phys RR
- The seal is useless as you are too tanky for MC (thus don't need it) but would need to hit and run all the time in 150-170 (thus don't need it either).

I think Octavius is a bit like Krieg, the latter was originally made for Battlemage but everyone chose to make Death Knights with it anyway.
Granted, I haven't tried the Tact version myself so feel free to correct me on this.

Gear Choices:

̶-̶ ̶2̶x̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶r̶i̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶s̶,̶ you may switch to the Judicator rings for more safety..̶.
- As Superfluff pointed out Myth Black Matriarch + Bladetwister seem like a better choice.
- Myth Sigil of Bear King is too good (and seems to drop like candy for me), you may put some OP medal there for massive OA/DA but I doubt it can beat it.
- The Pummeler: 10% Armor piercing is weird however it's still good enough for killing stuff until you can find an OP mutant bludgeon from the vendor. Actually it yields more sheet DPS than an Earthbound Mutant Bludgeon of Fevor thanks to the 4% cooldown reduction, but I think the + 2 meters range already made up for that.

Skill Choices:



Synergy.jpg

Crucible Performance:

This build can clear 150-170 extra with 2 buffs and no banner in 18-20min. With no extra and banner it takes about 15min. Not going to break any world record but it's not too terrible I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x1BtS3p518&t

This is with Stonefaced Mutant Bludgeon of Alacrity, after adding Blade Arc to the hotbar. Took 12min with banner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMHr...ature=youtu.be

Also check out Zhuugus' version if you are not a lazy man like me.

Some notes on the new waves:

- Since we hit and run all the time, we don't have to worry about that fat oaf Kuba, yay.
- Reaper doesn't hit too hard, can tank him easily if he doesn't have any bullshit support, not that we need to though, 2x yay.
- Alek is weird, sometimes he does no damage, some time nearly half of your health bar disappears, 0.5x nay, 2.5x yay.
- Grava is retarded, ffs just remove his 52% health reduction attack already, it's impossible to dodge in the crucible. 1.5x nay
__________________
Me: *Tearing everyone a new asshole*
Lokarr: lol DAE saddest display lmao

Last edited by actuanpanda; 02-27-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:35 AM
actuanpanda's Avatar
actuanpanda actuanpanda is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
Default

Shit, hit submit before completing
Also reserved
__________________
Me: *Tearing everyone a new asshole*
Lokarr: lol DAE saddest display lmao
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Superfluff's Avatar
Superfluff Superfluff is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6,025
Default

Well you beat me to it. been wanting to post one for so long but always got distracted by other builds.

I don't know if you need to go so defense heavy with Octavius regarding devotions. it's part of the advantage of being Dot semi ranged build.

I made a phys/retal hybrid that is finally capable of tanking crucible and that guy needs the defense but you can breathe more

Edit: About the no phys RR on inquis. Deadly aim with proper CDR has 65% uptime. ~25% extra crit is capable of matching dot's aided by CoF. Ofc CoF has good quality of life

Last edited by Superfluff; 01-03-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM
actuanpanda's Avatar
actuanpanda actuanpanda is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
Well you beat me to it. been wanting to post one for so long but always got distracted by other builds.

I don't know if you need to go so defense heavy with Octavius regarding devotions. it's part of the advantage of being Dot semi ranged build
Yeah I thought I was a bit paranoid too, beside that I've been waiting for a chance to use that devotion route for a while.
Which offesinve route is better in your opinion? Is Fist of Vire worth it or should we go with Oleron instead?
__________________
Me: *Tearing everyone a new asshole*
Lokarr: lol DAE saddest display lmao
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Superfluff's Avatar
Superfluff Superfluff is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuanpanda View Post
Yeah I thought I was a bit paranoid too, beside that I've been waiting for a chance to use that devotion route for a while.
Which offesinve route is better in your opinion? Is Fist of Vire worth it or should we go with Oleron instead?
I'd go Vire area. Easier to get some defensive stuff too in there.

I love the idea of ishtak don't get me wrong. That CD on it is a bit long though

Edit: 2x matriarch debuff does not stack. It is considered same source. That is why adding bladetwister is generally better for that
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 AM
actuanpanda's Avatar
actuanpanda actuanpanda is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
I'd go Vire area. Easier to get some defensive stuff too in there.

I love the idea of ishtak don't get me wrong. That CD on it is a bit long though

Edit: 2x matriarch debuff does not stack. It is considered same source. That is why adding bladetwister is generally better for that
Are you sure on that? I think I've read somewhere that RR from different items with same name do stack. It's also a bit stupid that 2x Myth is weaker than Myth + non-Myth imo.

About the devotion, turns out we can freely pick 3 of the 5 instead of 4, interesting https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23wedB2
__________________
Me: *Tearing everyone a new asshole*
Lokarr: lol DAE saddest display lmao

Last edited by actuanpanda; 01-03-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Superfluff's Avatar
Superfluff Superfluff is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuanpanda View Post
Are you sure on that? I think I've read somewhere that RR from different items with same name do stack. It's also a bit stupid that 2x Myth is weaker than Myth + non-Myth imo.

About the devotion, turns out we can freely pick 3 of the 5 instead of 4, interesting https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23wedB2
It does not stack. I saw the debate on the forum too and I think Ceno also confirmed it. I knew since long ago that it doesn't stack from other players and it makes sense since it is essentially the same source. Octavius can do MAtriarch/Twister easily as it has great resists and since you are DoT you don't need insane overcap.

What has helped me personally in making melee full face tank aside from elemental all min 60 overcap.

Edit: another thing that might help you with devotions on the offensive side is taking Overguard transmuter. 100% uptime due to your CDR is a great thing to have. Othberwise with Spellscourge amulet and ulzuin pact you can get it to ~14 sec CD

-bleed overcap and reduced duration
- Acid
-Vitality
-Aether.

But you can go a bit lighter on these

Last edited by Superfluff; 01-03-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 AM
actuanpanda's Avatar
actuanpanda actuanpanda is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
It does not stack. I saw the debate on the forum too and I think Ceno also confirmed it. I knew since long ago that it doesn't stack from other players and it makes sense since it is essentially the same source. Octavius can do MAtriarch/Twister easily as it has great resists and since you are DoT you don't need insane overcap.
Yeah Bladetwister only offers slightly worse bonus damage and overcapped res, anything else is pretty much the same. Guess I'll need to update my setup.
__________________
Me: *Tearing everyone a new asshole*
Lokarr: lol DAE saddest display lmao
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Superfluff's Avatar
Superfluff Superfluff is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuanpanda View Post
Yeah Bladetwister only offers slightly worse bonus damage and overcapped res, anything else is pretty much the same. Guess I'll need to update my setup.
You can use myth open hand of mercy. % RR and good elemental res, some regen
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM
korsar's Avatar
korsar korsar is offline
Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,039
Default

One more FW build, tons of them recently
Nice one tho.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
witchblade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.