Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Initiate

Smile A Real Modding Guide/Tutorial - How Do You Mod?

I know I am asking a lot, why skimp on the instructions of how to use the tools? I get that modding is a difficult and frustrating task to endeavor, but is there any real guide/tutorial that could help us to figure this out. The guide given with it, is so minimal and basic that all you really learn is that "you can mod", other than that you still don't really know what to do as a beginner. I watched Ceno's vid, no offense but he was all over the place and although I learned much, I had to watch the video over 200 times to retain any relevant info.

So what I am asking is, is there any guide/tutorial out now that can give us step by step instructions on creating a mod from the ground up? If anybody is willing to help teach me how to use the entire set of tools, (I have lots of time and am eager to learn), I would love nothing more than to make a complete series on how to use the tools from the ground up.

Last edited by PrideOfALion30; 12-10-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Better viewing
Old 12-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Join us on discord, we will invite you there to our little corner where we talk shop. I had hoped to initiate a community contributed set of docs, but that is just vaporware and will likely stay that way as long as we are too busy modding to document any of it, but you are right, we need to fix this. For now, there is plenty of helpful modders on discord.

https://discord.gg/PUbG7

No clue if this discord link will work, but if it doesn't ask for Kathanious on the general GD Off-topic channel.
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.

Last edited by jiaco; 12-10-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Praetorian

What kind of mod are you talking about?

There are a lot of different approaches you can have when it comes to tweaking the game.

If you want to learn how to make your own map via the Editor I'd recommend starting with Mirenheart's "Simple Map Making for Dummies" to set up your world. As for the editor itself Elfe has a extensive guide covering pretty much everything the World Editor has.

Otherwise there are a lot of other tutorials you can check out as well.

The main thing for myself when it comes to modding is experimenting with lots of trial and error which can obviously lead to frustration every once in awhile. I've only messed with map making (which can take forever depending on how good you want your map to look like), sounds, changing item stats (teleport/movement boost items for getting around) and creating new enemy/npc variants.

I'm hoping to start a new project as my last one strayed too far away from Grim Dawn and would have required a ton of changes/time to do well. I'll more or less be sticking with map making as a result.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Initiate

Thank You for the quick response! I will definitely join the chat. Is there a specific server to join?
Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
What kind of mod are you talking about?

There are a lot of different approaches you can have when it comes to tweaking the game.

If you want to learn how to make your own map via the Editor I'd recommend starting with Mirenheart's "Simple Map Making for Dummies" to set up your world. As for the editor itself Elfe has a extensive guide covering pretty much everything the World Editor has.

Otherwise there are a lot of other tutorials you can check out as well.

The main thing for myself when it comes to modding is experimenting with lots of trial and error which can obviously lead to frustration every once in awhile. I've only messed with map making (which can take forever depending on how good you want your map to look like), sounds, changing item stats (teleport/movement boost items for getting around) and creating new enemy/npc variants.

I'm hoping to start a new project as my last one strayed too far away from Grim Dawn and would have required a ton of changes/time to do well. I'll more or less be sticking with map making as a result.
Yea I did leave that a lil bit open ended, my bad! Short Term - I really want to learn ALL the tools thoroughly in and out, like the back of my hand. Long Term - I want to create an entirely new game. End Goal - Create a professional video series that covers every aspect of modding, so following the vids anybody noob to game designer can watch and mod Grim Dawn like pro! All this started from wanting to create a new mastery, it'd be nice to start their, for my own personal desire!

Thank You for the information and links, these will definitely help!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfALion30 View Post
Thank You for the quick response! I will definitely join the chat. Is there a specific server to join?
Grim Dawn Discord info : Clicky
Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfALion30 View Post
Yea I did leave that a lil bit open ended, my bad! Short Term - I really want to learn ALL the tools thoroughly in and out, like the back of my hand. Long Term - I want to create an entirely new game. End Goal - Create a professional video series that covers every aspect of modding, so following the vids anybody noob to game designer can watch and mod Grim Dawn like pro! All this started from wanting to create a new mastery, it'd be nice to start their, for my own personal desire!

Thank You for the information and links, these will definitely help!
Well done video tutorials would definitely be a help - if you're starting with Mastery Creation I would suggest checking current tutorials and communicating with those that have had the experience with making Mastery's (which there are a lot).

Good luck!

Tags
mod, modding, start, started