Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Advocate

Default Thoughts I Had While Playing Pillars of Eternity

I recently bought and started playing Pillars of Eternity. While part of me thinks it's a super great game, the rest of me is now even more hungry for a crpg set in the GD universe. Hell, I might even want that more than GD2 right now.

Maybe if we all believe hard enough we can will it into existence or something. Come on guys!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNyne View Post
I recently bought and started playing Pillars of Eternity. While part of me thinks it's a super great game, the rest of me is now even more hungry for a crpg set in the GD universe. Hell, I might even want that more than GD2 right now.

Maybe if we all believe hard enough we can will it into existence or something. Come on guys!

sadly crate is very limited in people. If only we can clone Zantai and Grava so that they can do two games with 2 studios at the same time churning games at faster pace. Even making an xpac is taking them some time but thats reality for them.

and Sadly as much as i want a poe style grim dawn or even a divinity original turn based crpg I still prefer that the next game would be an arpg. For me that is. CRPG may not be that feasible for a team like crate given the competition. dont get me wrong i like it to happen too but not sure how it will be done. I need more holy faith. Even paladins need faith sometime
Old 10-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by el critico View Post
sadly crate is very limited in people. If only we can clone Zantai and Grava so that they can do two games with 2 studios at the same time churning games at faster pace. Even making an xpac is taking them some time but thats reality for them.
I didn't want to have to read the sad truth but deep I knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by el critico View Post
I need more holy faith. Even paladins need faith sometime
But still, we should never stop believing
Old 03-14-2019, 05:23 AM
Initiate

@nateboussad, pretty interesting info. thanks for that
Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateboussad View Post
Honestly, I just didn't enjoy the world and the writing. The original Baldur's Gate had a lot more free exploration than the second one so I could somewhat stomach it there, which is why I finished that game (it still doesn't rank too high on my cRPG list tho). Second game leans on writing and characters a lot more, which is why I liked it a lot less. I'm pretty sure I finished it at some point, but I can't really remember TBH - that's how unimpressive BG2 always was to me.

So, why would I dislike writing?
a) I know this isn't Bioware's fault since they were using an existing setting, but Forgotten Realms just doesn't feel like a coherent world to me. It feels like a game space with cool and epic things thrown in there for player to find, and that just doesn't get me immersed into it particularly.
b) While the characters fit the greater-than-life nature of the world perfectly, that was also why I disliked them - they all had a characteristic or two that they were sticking with unquestionably and they never really felt believable to me.

All of this and Obsidian's promise that they're mainly going to take inspiration from BG is, after all, why I didn't back the original Pillars of Eternity when its kickstarter came up. But a lot of people told me there's more BG1 in Pillars than BG2, so eventually I gave in and bought the game.

As you may guess from my reasoning as to why did I dislike BG games, PoE ended up being a perfect fit for me. It had the exploration element from the original Baldur's Gate and the writing's a lot more down to Earth, with companion characters being a lot less extreme and more believable. Add to that the fact that I never really liked combat in IE games and Pillars of Eternity was like somebody was going through my list of complaints with it and removing them one by one, I

you are right man!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:32 AM
Herald

Love Pillars both 1 and 2. Oldschool meditative cRPG experience in a familiar setting. Couldíve changed a few things like buff disengagement mechanics (barbarians run around the battlefield like itís a basketball court) and limit penetration oupiedness (in 2) and moderate casting limitations for chanters and ciphers as well as cut down on pretentious at times descriptivess.

Itís not Tides of Numenera with the mind blowing world setting, FFVII with characters youíll never forget or GD with a million ways to build a character but nobody expected it, and it doesnít really disappoint in any of those fields. Very good game, if not for lack of competition.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNyne View Post

That would be cool. I would buy it for sure but the arpg genre missing a quality game like GD would be too sad. We need both

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
Itís not Tides of Numenera with the mind blowing world setting, FFVII with characters youíll never forget or GD with a million ways to build a character but nobody expected it, and it doesnít really disappoint in any of those fields. Very good game, if not for lack of competition.
Hmm. Never played Tides of Numenera but the world and environments are pretty good. The characters are not nearly as memorable as FF7 because the story is a lot more realistic and full of characters that are trying to get by and/or survive.

I have to say there is a lot of possibility in PoE2 with builds with the multi-classing system. The dev team also make a point to release balance patches as well even if it is of questionable value for them to do so. Plus the game is easily modded for damage/stats tweaking

I am a member of these forums because GD is amazing and Crate employees are the best!

Last edited by idontwannaknow0; 03-27-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontwannaknow0 View Post
Hmm. Never played Tides of Numenera
If you like out of the world settings and narratives in classic RPGs Tides of Numenera is one of the best. Not much combat or char building there but as a "reading" game it's 10/10. It's a very loose "sequel" to the all-time classic Planescape: Torment.

Quote:
I have to say there is a lot of possibility in PoE2 with builds with the multi-classing system.
IMO the dual class system in Pillars 2 is a gimmick. Totally unnecessary. Maybe for veterans and hardcore players to artificially raise the difficulty. Power levels and penetration is key and you have enough class/skill diversity with five characters. But then again I haven't spent too much time in the game...
Old 03-29-2019, 03:16 PM
Supporter

Kinda boring and pretentious were my thoughts. Still, a beautiful world that deserves better than PoE1(didn't play 2) with a ruleset yet to be matched. I'm constantly amazed that there isn't one useless stat for any of Classes.

Still, a rather by the books game with some nice ideas. Just don't expect too much.

Now, Tyranny, that's a game that fell rather far from its potential. Such a beautiful game, but unfortunately rather unfinished and even quite "woke" at times. That game's amazing, imagine if it was really finished, it'd be the game for ages!