Old 09-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Advocate

Default Memory Leak

I noticed that Grim Dawn has a huge memory leak. With "huge" I mean ~ 0.5 - 0.9 MB/sec.
Ofc it could be a problem on my side (Computer, Gfx-Card, Ram, etc.), but I want to check if someone else have similar issues.

I uploaded a video to youtube where you can see that I start with my char in Devil's Crossing,
then I teleport to Lower Crossing Rift (Burial Hill), fighting my way to "The Burial Cave",
then I enter the cave, fighting against some monsters and then I wait at the exit from the cave, doing nothing.

You can see in the video (in the task manager window) that the used memory is steadily increasing.
If I pause the game, the used memory is nevertheless increasing!
When the used memory reach the size of 3,65 GB, the game crashed (in under 1 hour!).

I used the GoG-version of Grim Dawn in this video (no tools or mods used).
But I can replicate the memory leak also with the steam-version of the game.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DxDiag.zip (17.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Advocate

Hmm my thoughts exactly. If you recall on the GI tool thread i had suspicions about leaking for cpu or memory,but you cleared it out
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3  
Old 09-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Crate Employee - Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockenGerda View Post
I noticed that Grim Dawn has a huge memory leak. With "huge" I mean ~ 0.5 - 0.9 MB/sec.
Ofc it could be a problem on my side (Computer, Gfx-Card, Ram, etc.), but I want to check if someone else have similar issues.

I uploaded a video to youtube where you can see that I start with my char in Devil's Crossing,
then I teleport to Lower Crossing Rift (Burial Hill), fighting my way to "The Burial Cave",
then I enter the cave, fighting against some monsters and then I wait at the exit from the cave, doing nothing.

You can see in the video (in the task manager window) that the used memory is steadily increasing.
If I pause the game, the used memory is nevertheless increasing!
When the used memory reach the size of 3,65 GB, the game crashed (in under 1 hour!).

I used the GoG-version of Grim Dawn in this video (no tools or mods used).
But I can replicate the memory leak also with the steam-version of the game.
It's unlikely to be GD. You may want to try checking for updated graphics drivers and killing as many other running processes as possible. If you have any programs that provide in game overlays, etc, disable them also.

If there was such a memory leak everyone would be crashing within an hour and we would have thousand of crash reports being posted.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Advocate

Thanks a lot, Rhis! What you said makes perfect sence!
It was weird that the memory leak only happened when my char stood idle beneath the cave exit.
If I move the char there was no mem leak; at least not remarkable for me.
So I guess I have to install window 10 fresh on my computer and to hope that the leak is gone then.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhis View Post
It's unlikely to be GD. You may want to try checking for updated graphics drivers and killing as many other running processes as possible. If you have any programs that provide in game overlays, etc, disable them also.

If there was such a memory leak everyone would be crashing within an hour and we would have thousand of crash reports being posted.

Grim Dawn keeps freezing for me, it has been happening for awhile now. I can't task manager force close it, because it freezes in front. So task manager can't come to the front, to force close. Is this due to memory leak?.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdante14CO View Post
Grim Dawn keeps freezing for me, it has been happening for awhile now. I can't task manager force close it, because it freezes in front. So task manager can't come to the front, to force close. Is this due to memory leak?.
If you read what he wrote you will see that he most certainly does not think it is a memory leak in any instance.

Open up your settings in-game and look for the Background FPS slider on the "General" tab. Make sure it is all the way to left. As for actual freezing of the game the next time it completely freezes (on Windows 10) hit Windows Key + Ctrl + D. It will create a new desktop instance and move you out of the freeze to the new desktop instance. From then on out you can simply hit Win + Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow to switch between these instances on future freezes. From the new desktop instance you can easily call forth Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and shut the game down properly. Note: if the above does not work then what you have is a "hard freeze", as in the computer has completely locked up and become utterly unresponsive. This is not quite the same as the game "just" simply freezing.

Diagnosing the actual cause is deeper and could be any number of issues, memory leaks has never been one of them. If you are actually interested in attempting to stop the freezes and willing to apply advice given then the first thing we need to know are your computer specs.

Last edited by powbam; 09-29-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:46 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
If you read what he wrote you will see that he most certainly does not think it is a memory leak in any instance.

Open up your settings in-game and look for the Background FPS slider on the "General" tab. Make sure it is all the way to left. As for actual freezing of the game the next time it completely freezes (on Windows 10) hit Windows Key + Ctrl + D. It will create a new desktop instance and move you out of the freeze to the new desktop instance. From then on out you can simply hit Win + Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow to switch between these instances on future freezes. From the new desktop instance you can easily call forth Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and shut the game down properly.

Diagnosing the actual cause is deeper and could be any number of issues, memory leaks has never been one of them. If you are actually interested in attempting to stop the freezes and willing to apply advice given then the first thing we need to know are your computer specs.

Thanks, how do I cancel the new desktop instance. To bring the pc back to how it was, before doing what you said?.

Also the freezing only happens for Grim Dawn.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Thanks, how do I cancel the new desktop instance. To bring the pc back to how it was, before doing what you said?
Win + Ctrl + F4 closes whatever desktop instance you are in if multiple are open. Alternatively, clicking the Task View button on your taskbar (next to the Start Menu and Cortana icons) opens up a Task Screen that allows you to do similar things via mouse usage instead.

Perhaps bookmark this page here..
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-...oard-shortcuts
..as it is full of useful Win 10 keyboard shortcuts.

Quote:
Also the freezing only happens for Grim Dawn.
We hear that alot. Alot of different games forums hear similar words, actually. It matters not. In the end it often comes down to driver issues, 3rd party anti-virus program issues, random programs running in the background issues, Nvidia card overclock issues etc.

Again, to begin helping you it is good for us to know your computer specs from the outset.

Last edited by powbam; 09-29-2018 at 11:00 PM.