Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old Today, 04:26 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weertangel View Post
I think this expansion will be the best to ever happen in any A-RPG in a long time, since they remove the need for u to replay the same content over and over and thats a VERY big thing for me and alot of others.
Well the big catch is that all the content must be fun to play through. If acts 7-10 turn out boring or frustrating, well then I’m not so motivated where having repeated content means I can at least look forward to going through my favourite bits again

Quote:
I like how they continue the story as well, ZiggyD showed a playtrough of act 5 and its great to see the effects of the PC's actions in later acts since it only adds more depth and removes the static feeling u have with most A-RPG's when it comes to that.
It appears you revisit the early areas a lot in the later acts, which makes it not all that different to multiple play-throughs unless they change significantly (monsters, pathing).

Quote:
For the haters, there are alot of video's on youtube with dev interviews that explain how the they work most of the current system into the new one so view those first before getting so negative about it, they also have a Beta before release(wich i'm giong to try to get into) so alot will change i in that for sure.

what i find the most cool about GGG is that they listen to their community, just like its here with GD.
So i think that like with The Awakening this expansion will turn out even better then what is revealed so far becouse of that
Yeah they’re good with that. Part of why I keep coming back to try PoE, I really want to love it…

…but:

They need ragdoll physics! The combat always ends up feeling flat to me because the enemies die the same way, on the spot. In GD (and D3) a good hit sends the monsters flying and I can sense more impact in my damage dealing. PoE everything just kinda ‘pops.’ I’m hoping with the cloth physics recently going in that they’re also working on a wider physics system, but that’s a lot to change for all the animations etc.

And I really hope they improve the gearing system a little. As self found particularly:

Finding really good gear can be useless because
a) not enough sockets
b) wrong links
c) wrong colours
is really frustrating because I’m just hunting materials to gamble on the right configuration. Particularly once getting to four socket gear.

Also because inventory space is tiny and items take up far too much so collecting said materials means constant trips back and forth, pointless frustration.

Relying on luck to find skill gems at an earlier level than a vendor sells them is annoying. Just have them available at vendors as soon as you’re at the lvl requirement!

Otherwise It's an enjoyable game, the above frustrations just leave me losing interested fairly soon each time I pick it up.

Last edited by Gumshoe; Today at 04:29 AM.
Old Today, 07:29 AM
Supporter

I have a stupid amount of time in PoE (i think something like 5k hours+, multiple lvl 90+ chars etc.), but to be honest i lost my faith in GGG over the 2.0-2.6 period. I don't want to go on a rant here, but let me say: i'm very, very sceptical.

If they finally manage to get some sort of balance into their game again, i'll gladly come back though.
Old Today, 08:16 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
Well the big catch is that all the content must be fun to play through. If acts 7-10 turn out boring or frustrating, well then I’m not so motivated where having repeated content means I can at least look forward to going through my favourite bits again

It appears you revisit the early areas a lot in the later acts, which makes it not all that different to multiple play-throughs unless they change significantly (monsters, pathing).

Yeah they’re good with that. Part of why I keep coming back to try PoE, I really want to love it…

…but:

They need ragdoll physics! The combat always ends up feeling flat to me because the enemies die the same way, on the spot. In GD (and D3) a good hit sends the monsters flying and I can sense more impact in my damage dealing. PoE everything just kinda ‘pops.’ I’m hoping with the cloth physics recently going in that they’re also working on a wider physics system, but that’s a lot to change for all the animations etc.

And I really hope they improve the gearing system a little. As self found particularly:

Finding really good gear can be useless because
a) not enough sockets
b) wrong links
c) wrong colours
is really frustrating because I’m just hunting materials to gamble on the right configuration. Particularly once getting to four socket gear.

Also because inventory space is tiny and items take up far too much so collecting said materials means constant trips back and forth, pointless frustration.

Relying on luck to find skill gems at an earlier level than a vendor sells them is annoying. Just have them available at vendors as soon as you’re at the lvl requirement!

Otherwise It's an enjoyable game, the above frustrations just leave me losing interested fairly soon each time I pick it up.
While Vorici, Master Assassin, does help to deal with sockets and colours, it still a gamble, and you can use a lot of orbs to get what you want, especailly 6 link sockets that cost 1500 fusings, or you can gamble and get it sooner (just using fusings) people have got it sooner, but I really wish they would reduce the cost of getting 5 and 6 links.

There is a chromo calc here,

https://siveran.github.io/calc.html

useful for knowing how many Chromatic orbs you need, and which is better.

but yeah, you still need to farm them, sockets and fusings are one of my hates of the game. while they made it easier, (a bit) to get what you want, its still a gamble, and still a annoyance to farm for the orbs.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old Today, 10:04 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weertangel View Post
what i find the most cool about GGG is that they listen to their community,
You can't be serious. They don't give a fuck about any other opinions, but their own. It's since OB, stopped listening years ago. Eventually, if there's a ridiculous issue, fixing of which won't take much resources, or doesn't contradict with their marketing strategy.
Developers don't even read the game forum, the feedback section respectively.

From what I managed to see, the new expansion will consist of one new act, and four recycled, with new encounters and bonuses here and there.
It actually looks good, as the game will provide insane amount of content and various activities to keep players occupied.
The removal of the difficulties is a very good move as well.

In short PoE fans must be happy - massive amounts of new content and achievements are incoming. Would be good for those who love the extreme grind.
The bad news is, balance and performance issues are more likely there to stay, still no trading system.