Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Acolyte

Default req, difficulty "locking"

is it possible to make the game remember the difficulty of each character?

if so it would be a nice mod, since its not been addressed officially

its just a pain to set the difficulty every time you boot up the game

also it makes me worry that the difficulty bouncing might cause data loss
Old 05-16-2018, 01:27 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altreaver View Post
also it makes me worry that the difficulty bouncing might cause data loss
why would you worry about that ? The data is equally safe whether you switch between difficulties or not...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
why would you worry about that ? The data is equally safe whether you switch between difficulties or not...
It wasn't in TQ, it's a valid concern if you come from there. If you accidentally chose the wrong difficulty, your character would fubar ...somehow.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:02 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
It wasn't in TQ, it's a valid concern if you come from there. If you accidentally chose the wrong difficulty, your character would fubar ...somehow.
Never had any issues in TQ with that either. Each difficulty is in a separate subdir, so there should not be any cross-polluting. There is only one char file however, but that is true no matter what difficulty you choose.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:28 AM
Praetorian

It only happened if you were playing custom campaigns. If you played mods you definitely ran into that issue at least once. Known workaround was to load a custom character in each difficulty once since they are always all available without having to complete the game
Old 05-16-2018, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Altreaver, the question is why are you having to reset difficulty EVERY time you play? The game should remember what difficulty your character was last in, even if you switch difficulties, i.e from Elite to Normal it will remember the character was last in Normal.

mamba, the triple load trick was well known and often added to a mod's description because you could screw up your toon if you weren't careful. This from the Lilith mod:

"Before you start playing :
Do theTriple-Load trick: If you have a brand new character, the easiest way is to simply load the character into normal, epic, and legendary before playing normal.

Really, it's just that simple. Make your new character, and load the game on Normal. Once the game has loaded and you see your character standing in The Village, save and exit the game. Then start a new game on Epic difficulty. Save and exit again.

Then a last time on Legendary difficulty.

Once you've loaded The Village on all 3 difficulties, you may return to Normal to begin your adventure.

=> This trick prevents losing your Bonuses and/or Items when you change to another difficulty.

=> Don't do it during your current game, you'll lose all what you have done during your game and could reset some quest or your Masteries (in the Masteries Edition).

If you have a game on the way just wait the end of your current difficulty to do this trick."

Iirc, you'd need to have TQDefiler installed so you could unlock all 3 difficulties to be able to that. But I only played Lilith through once and that was a LONG time ago so could be wrong about that.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Acolyte

not sure if its cause i play mods, but if the core game remembers then shouldnt mod too? since its the main menu and not in a custom game yet
but for GD, everytime i fire up the game, the difficulty defaults to normal
and i have to set it to ultimate each time

i play mods and use trainer to boost to high difficulty, cause i can only stand to play through a game 1-2 times

Last edited by Altreaver; 05-16-2018 at 08:55 PM.