Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 AM
Herald

Default Why does GD not make my computer crash? At all?

I am actually genuinely curious. I hear about people having crashes and freezes and I can not remember the last time I had a CTD-level problem with GD. I think the answer might lie in my DxDiag but I'm not really a tech wizard.

Are any tech wizards present that can explain this? I have all kinds of issues with other games (Bethesda games notwithstanding, they're always buggy) but the worst I ever get with GD is some mild graphical issues. And I can't explain why.

My computer is an old nag and I can hear the fans spin up hard in a lot of areas in GD but it never crashes.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MyDxDiag.txt (30.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Tycho; 11-29-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 AM
Herald

Just because there are posts every now and then here about crashes doesn't mean that everyone has them. I would say that the people having crashes are in the minority.

I've played on 2 different Computers now (one ~5 years old and one completely new) and while I have seen crashes on both, they are few and far between. I can't remember the last time I had a crash at all.

Edit: That said, I forgot to take into account that new updates bring on a slew of changes that can lead to crashes but Crate generally tries to iron out as many of them as they come. I would say there are far less during the wait for new updates.

Last edited by Evil_Baka; 11-29-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 AM
Herald

The thing is I'm actually used to my computer being unstable more often than not. It flips its shit and goes software mode in MechWarrior 4 Mercs for no good reason and runs horribly for no good reason. It absolutely eats shit with a big map in Civ V BNW, I have to turn off all kinds of things to keep it from freezing on a Huge map with enough players to fill it out nicely and forcing me to kill the process from Task Manager. It did all kinds of strange things in TF2 (history of strange CTDs with cryptic error messages). And I'm used to new content giving my computer mild fits before patches, I've played a lot of games that needed FAN patches to run without serious issue. I don't get why I'm not one of the people complaining about crashes in GD, not because I think GD should be crash-prone but because my computer is a temperamental female dog. (Has a nasty habit of reboot looping on a cold start. Still can't figure out why.)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:33 AM
Herald

I have no idea then. Maybe your Computer's hardware just plays nice with the game's engine or something
Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Baka View Post
I have no idea then. Maybe your Computer's hardware just plays nice with the game's engine or something
Which would blow my mind because ATI/AMD isn't the popular one last I knew. I wish I could figure out how to make this helpful for solving other people's crash problems, but I've never programmed in my life (making modules in NWN doesn't hardly count at all) so I'm not sure what would and would not help.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Emissary

In my experience across many, many installs of GD on various separate PCs (job related), it actually seems to behave better on AMD gear.

Anecdotal but the truth of my experience.

The Fermi Paradox is God nerfing Civilization: Reality Edition.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I am actually genuinely curious. I hear about people having crashes and freezes and I can not remember the last time I had a CTD-level problem with GD. I think the answer might lie in my DxDiag but I'm not really a tech wizard.

Are any tech wizards present that can explain this? I have all kinds of issues with other games (Bethesda games notwithstanding, they're always buggy) but the worst I ever get with GD is some mild graphical issues. And I can't explain why.

My computer is an old nag and I can hear the fans spin up hard in a lot of areas in GD but it never crashes.

Don't feel bad. You're not alone. I rarely ever get crashes. Most the crashes I have gotten that were actually repeatable occurred during testing new builds of Grim Dawn and in those cases most the other testers had them as well in those circumstances... and then those specific cases were always fixed by Crate before public release.

Other than that most my other crashes are rare and infrequent and usually occur after leaving the game running a long time with a whole lot of alt-tabbing in and out over those periods. Not really surprising or uncommon in those circumstances for most any game to display similar behavior.

Last edited by powbam; 12-05-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersgaze View Post
In my experience across many, many installs of GD on various separate PCs (job related), it actually seems to behave better on AMD gear.

Anecdotal but the truth of my experience.
Actually, I have to agree with this too. I had virtually no issues playing for ~1000 hours on an old setup using AMD/ATI hardware.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Herald

The rare occasions I do get crashes they're super random and after so much play time they seem memory leak related if anything
Old 12-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Praetorian

There are a few people that crash and as a consequence are vocal. You can not go by seeing some posts about crashes, you find those for every game. 99+% do not / rarely crash, me included.