Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Initiate

I'm still trying to read through Dhalgren, by Samuel Delaney but I keep setting it down and reading/doing other things with my rare spare time.

I did just finish Providence, by Alan Moore/ Jacen Burrows. Some people really enjoyed this book, but I personally found it to be a boring mess that happened to take place in Lovecraft's world.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Acolyte

In the last couple of weeks I've read Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and Chernobyl by Frederik Pohl, both of them was quite good!

Currently I'm reading The Witcher: The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski and it is one of the best books I've read so far...

(I've read all these books in hungarian translation)

The next book will be the second part of The Witcher series and/or the second part of the Gateway series by Frederik Pohl
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Herald

I don't read books often but i should read more.I read all the books of Dan Brown. I recently bought "The Templar Legacy" written by Steve Berry.

How are the books from H.P. Lovecraft?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:00 AM
Praetorian

I've recently listened to Stephen King's Under the Dome and IT via awesome audio books.

Love it when the narrator makes distinguishing voices for each character. IT was just amazing in that regard lol.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricius View Post
How are the books from H.P. Lovecraft?
In terms of things actually written by Lovecraft himself, it's hard to identify anything as a 'book'. Even Call of Cthulhu is essentially just a long-ish short story, which has since been compiled into books either with Lovecraft's other tales or with Cthulhu mythos stories written by others.

But the stories are quite good. If you're into a more 'haunting' genre, I'd give them a go. There's a reason a great many people find them memorable.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Advocate

Devoured The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross in under 8hrs recently with plenty of belly laughs thus induced, now on to a book I haven't re-read in just about 2 decades - The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells. Loved it the first time I read it because it's a tale that doesn't make heavy use of lazy stereotypes and flowed well. So far, I'm still liking it, might have to dig into more of her fantasy books too, since her older ebooks are all about US$2.00 on Amazon.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Supporter

Since finishing the Wheel of Time series, haven't really got back into reading any fantasy. Now when I get time, it's mostly sport biography books.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Counsel

I just recently finished reading Theft of Swords, and The Cycle of Arawn - both quite enjoyable reads.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Herald

Still reading the Metro series and slowly going through the Witcher series.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
In terms of things actually written by Lovecraft himself, it's hard to identify anything as a 'book'. Even Call of Cthulhu is essentially just a long-ish short story, which has since been compiled into books either with Lovecraft's other tales or with Cthulhu mythos stories written by others.

But the stories are quite good. If you're into a more 'haunting' genre, I'd give them a go. There's a reason a great many people find them memorable.
I'm currently going through all his works, a real thick book this one!

I really like that the tension is created through just hinting at the horrible creatures/events and letting your mind fill in the blank, everyone's scared of different things after all. I think that's why people find his stories so memorable!

Maybe now that my thesis work is done I can actually finish it too...