Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > Modding - Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 PM
Acolyte

Hey mamba, mind if I pick your brain since you have different opinions which is nice to see. Or anyone else who can be bothered.

Whats your opinion on replacing an active skill with a pet who has that skill? Such as blitz, with a warrior pet who could charge, cleave and taunt.

What about skills that require a pet to be effective, such as when your on 33% health, a pet will gain a huge damage buff and taunt your target. Then you can taunt back off them when you are healed up and buff wears off. Almost like a 2 way tanking setup.

What about chance on hit to summon pets as an extra damage source. Say a 5% chance to summon a ghost warrior, who works just as an extra damage source, maybe a small cleave attack. More points in would increase maximum summons allowed and duration.

Thoughts on current necromancer in grim dawn, the skeletons being randomised and easy to kill. What if there was 3 different skeletons and you could pick the ones you like, either by transmutes or just have all 3 as separate skills. Is it ok to have to keep summoning them, or is it annoying? Are they useful to replace attacking as you are actively summoning them all the time?

Opinions on enemy AOE with regards to decimating pets.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftyhorn2705 View Post
Whats your opinion on replacing an active skill with a pet who has that skill? Such as blitz, with a warrior pet who could charge, cleave and taunt.
here are my 2 cents regarding TQ pets

Keep in mind that I do not like pet builds much, I do not like being the sidekick to my summoned army... in TQ I only used them for casters due to the masteries they are in being caster masteries

I like the fact that I can spawn a pet or two (Lich King, Core Dweller, that orb from Storm mastery) and then basically forget about them... they do a bit of damage, they do a bit of taunt and they pretty much never die, while I do what I otherwise would do without them, ie cast my spells

So they help out a bit, imo mostly by taking some focus off me and I otherwise am not bothered with micro-managing them or having my items focus on pet buffs instead of things that are useful for me

For melee I did use timed summons like the Outsider, but that is a take it or leave it thing to me, not a must have. I probably would not invest in them in GD because I feel more strapped for skill points in GD whereas in TQ past level 55 or so, I had everything I wanted / needed but still got points I could ‘waste’ on such skills

Now back to your question, I do not really want to replace a skill with a pet, certainly not a major one like Blitz, but if you add a skill like the Outsider to Soldier, taking that could be an option

Quote:
What about skills that require a pet to be effective, such as when your on 33% health, a pet will gain a huge damage buff and taunt your target. Then you can taunt back off them when you are healed up and buff wears off. Almost like a 2 way tanking setup.
works for me, kinda feels like how I used them in TQ (apart from the massive taunt boost on low health)

Quote:
What about chance on hit to summon pets as an extra damage source. Say a 5% chance to summon a ghost warrior, who works just as an extra damage source, maybe a small cleave attack. More points in would increase maximum summons allowed and duration.
depends on how long they stick around I guess. I generally ignore bonuses with 5% chance to do something as they are outside my control and often trigger when I don’t need them, but if the effect is not instantaneous but a spawn, that is different and it can be useful wheras other skills like that I simply rate neutral, ie the item would be just as good/bad without the proc in my evaluation

No thoughts on GD pets, my pet builds are not far enough along for me to have much of an opinion (ie completed Normal with less issues than expected, but then that is Normal, so the real test is still ahead...)

Last edited by mamba; 08-23-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Tags
legion of champions, mod, pets, skills, summons