Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
This has not changed with the patch.
Thanks - I'll move along.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
I stopped playing GD a while ago (not long after AoM) because everything ends up fighting in melee range.

Other arpgs have ways to keep enemies at distance, such as summons, mobility or just raw power in glass cannon builds but in GD the devs don't put in the effort to tune the game to make that possible.

I've had this discussion a couple of times here and I get an fairly dismissive response telling me how I just don't understand game design. Sorry, but I do know enough to know what I like and I certainly know it's possible because other games have done it very successfully.

The idea that you're always toe-to-toe with the enemy, either hitting them with a stick or a spell just doesn't create enough variation in the game.

And for people who like the skill of ranged/caster play GD doesn't really cut the mustard.

I hope someone will respond and say 'Ah but they changed that in patch x.y.z' but I'm not holding out much hope. I expect another lecture on game design (with which I will disagree and move on quietly).
Well, without knowing which builds you seem to have trouble with ranged ....

There are plenty of ranged builds in the compendium.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79419

As for changing it in a patch, if the game design is that skewed my guess is it would need much more than a patch.
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post

As for changing it in a patch, if the game design is that skewed my guess is it would need much more than a patch.
Well it is a an issue/a thing that I've noticed and can find annoying, but it's not a game killer for me. I've also note that this happens in many other ARPG games. There are ways to mitigate it in GD, which I do and others have done.

However, it didn't seem like they were amenable to such suggestions.

I could be wrong.

Last edited by ibugsy; 03-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Speaker

Quote:

There are plenty of ranged builds in the compendium.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79419

I think his issue is that in GD any enemies that don't die instantly end up at point blank range, unlike say Diablo 2 where your summons could tank for you or you could get items that added knockback to your attacks. It's something that I kind of struggled with when I first started GD as well.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
I stopped playing GD a while ago (not long after AoM) because everything ends up fighting in melee range.

Other arpgs have ways to keep enemies at distance, such as summons, mobility or just raw power in glass cannon builds but in GD the devs don't put in the effort to tune the game to make that possible.

I've had this discussion a couple of times here and I get an fairly dismissive response telling me how I just don't understand game design. Sorry, but I do know enough to know what I like and I certainly know it's possible because other games have done it very successfully.

The idea that you're always toe-to-toe with the enemy, either hitting them with a stick or a spell just doesn't create enough variation in the game.

And for people who like the skill of ranged/caster play GD doesn't really cut the mustard.

I hope someone will respond and say 'Ah but they changed that in patch x.y.z' but I'm not holding out much hope. I expect another lecture on game design (with which I will disagree and move on quietly).
You could technically do it with pets if you can find a chokepoint, but other than that you are probably not going to find what you are looking for.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazar View Post
I think his issue is that in GD any enemies that don't die instantly end up at point blank range, unlike say Diablo 2 where your summons could tank for you or you could get items that added knockback to your attacks. It's something that I kind of struggled with when I first started GD as well.
Yup, moving / side-stepping often resolves these issues. Personally, I like this because its more engaging, but sometimes I find it annoying.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazar View Post
Yes, they can, but you can always kite. Standard practice for a caster/ranged in some cases I'd say. But Callidor's Tempest does knockback doesn't it or similar. And Judgment in the new Oathkeeper mastery definitely does. And of course FG is also bringing movement skills.
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
Yup, moving / side-stepping often resolves these issues. Personally, I like this because its more engaging, but sometimes I find it annoying.
Quote:
Yes, they can, but you can always kite. Standard practice for a caster/ranged in some cases I'd say. But Callidor's Tempest does knockback doesn't it or similar. And Judgment in the new Oathkeeper mastery definitely does. And of course FG is also bringing movement skills.
I'm not complaining, generally combat in GD is pretty fun. I'm just saying it can take some getting used to. In D2 I had a glass cannon bowazon with maxed valkyrie and decoy that would distract all the monsters and if something went wrong, she could outrun the monsters easily. GD just doesn't work like that. And frankly, kiting without a good source of DOT is an exercise in frustration. Like I said, not complaining, it just takes some getting used to.

Also, doesn't Judgement have reverse knockback that pulls enemies in?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Champion

Quote:

I sometimes get that same feeling with most end-game ranged builds. The goal is always to be able to facetank everything. That is a reason why I very seldom play ranged builds at all in GD

YouTube: malawiglenn
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Acolyte

Quote:

I'm with you, mostly. I don't like how some enemies charge you and in a lot of cases there's basically no way to CC them or keep them at a distance so you can survive. If you don't have enough physical resistance or DA (usually) you just die in 2 hits. I guess it depends which class you play (I hate playing demolition, pre-75 I have difficulty in melee for the above reason)

A friend of mine made this distinction the other day, he said that Elite difficulty is the harder than Ultimate because even though you're 3/4 through leveling you're still not high enough to wear the really good gear, you have to use a mixed bag of greens and blues and random level 60/70 legendaries. Hoping that you can pump up your resists and DA enough for the hardest bosses. There are many possible ranged builds for this game, but they don't get strong until the last 20 levels, and sometimes being forced to fight from melee range just sucks.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198125501259