Old 09-06-2017, 04:02 AM
Praetorian

Default [Tool] GDBak - Executable for Archiving Characters

One thing I've always wanted in my arsenal of Grim Dawn tools was a one-click means to automatically backup my character folder after each successful game session. After waiting for someone else to make this for three years, I decided to do it on my own...and it was kinda easy, to be honest.

Version - 1.1

THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT AND WILL NOT EVER WORK WITH CLOUD-SAVING ENABLED. TURN IT OFF.

How to use:
  1. Download the zip file from mediafire.
  2. Extract said-zip file.
  3. Double click one of the gdbak.exe files contained within.* (Possibly need to run as administrator? I haven't had to)
  4. ???
  5. Profit!

There are four executables in the provided zip file. There are no_prompt versions of gdbak and gdunbak executables; the no_prompt simply doesn't create a lasting window asking for you to close it or anything. If you're familiar with using these, the no_prompt versions are probably the 'quickest' bet.

gdbak.exe creates a zip archive of your characters, gdunbak.exe extracts that zip archive. gdunbak does nothing if such an archive does not exist.

Source code will be up on github soon!

VirusTotal evaluation: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/5a...46d0ef6ecb2b20
If the executable does not work for you (and you have Cloud Saving disabled), please submit a bug report in the following format:

Antivirus Software: <List>
Operating System: <Version, preferably with a Release Number>
GD Save Directory: <Just copy/paste the directory. Please include the drive (C:, D:, etc.) as well>

To-Do List:
  • Fix any/all bugs that arise
  • Expedite the process of finding save files
  • Create sister program to automatically extract the resultant archive with a single button press DONE
  • Other (suggest your own ideas!)

Questions, comments, or concerns? Leave a comment below.

-Ceno

Last edited by Ceno; 09-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Praetorian

Nice one

Purely out of curiosity, and no other reason, why does this not work with cloud saving, as it's just a different folder location, isn't everything else the same ??
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaknet View Post
Nice one

Purely out of curiosity, and no other reason, why does this not work with cloud saving, as it's just a different folder location, isn't everything else the same ??
Well, two reasons.

For one, I don't believe I have a guaranteed means of finding the Steam installation directory, meaning I wouldn't necessarily be able to always find that folder.

Secondly, I don't really know what's in that folder, or if it's got the most recent data or if you have to force a pull/sync from Steam.

In short, it doesn't work with cloud saves because I just don't want to bother with figuring them out.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Praetorian

Nice stuff. Works fine for me, and was fast and easy to use. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
please, excuse me... I need to go wipe away my tears with a handful of million dollar bills
Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Praetorian

Exclamation

Version 1.1 released:
  • Cleaned up the first post so it's a little less cluttered with useless information. If you want to know stuff, it's easy enough to click a link and find out.
  • Released "gdunbak.exe". The aforementioned sister program to gdbak.exe, this tool will extract the archive that gdbak.exe creates. It does nothing if such an archive doesn't exist.
  • Released "no_prompt" versions of both gdbak and gdunbak. These versions do not create a window prompt for the user to close when the operation has completed.
  • <Back-end> Began setting up framework for getting source code onto github.

Tags
archive, backup, character, tool