Old 08-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez View Post
so I also hope you do not give up on this tool.
Well, looking at the OP's history he hasn't replied in this thread since May 4th and hasn't made any posts on the forum since July 12th.

So, activity is looking a little low.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
Well, looking at the OP's history he hasn't replied in this thread since May 4th and hasn't made any posts on the forum since July 12th.

So, activity is looking a little low.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Well, if I feel up to it, I could always tinker with the javascript myself and see what I can do with it.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:33 AM
Initiate

https://stylez82.github.io/gddevotion/

Still doesn't provide the ultimate feature of "pick a devotion, see possible paths to get there", but it's a tad easier to use now. Includes ability to filter to constellations you can currently "afford", search across names/stat bonuses, and some basic sanity checks such as preventing deselection of dependencies.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Initiate

So, I haven't actually played GD in a long time -- kinda waiting for expansion, if I go back at all. Life's been hectic.

There are at least four problems with this tool:

1) It is clear to me that it really relies on a programmer's intuition about graphs. Sadly, despite my attempts to improve the UI, I just don't think most people will find it useful.

2) The "killer feature" of "cheapest way to node X" is not feasible. I tried! But javascript is still a slow language, and there's no good A* heuristic available. Also, in internal testing, I didn't find this feature hugely useful. Selling out on all other goals to include a specific node rarely produces a strong build.

3) Keeping this tool up to date is hard. I scraped the wiki originally, but constellations have changed since then and I never updated my data to match.

4) This tool was meant for an all-or-none approach to constellations. Taking parts of a constellation, or taking it and then un-taking it later, were never considered. The UI and code are not set up to handle these relatively common strategies.

Given all this, a best-of-breed devotion planner would probably need to start off with a fresh codebase. That said, I'm happy to accept PRs on the github repo, and I hope anyone who wants to build such a tool finds the successes and failures of this one instructive!