Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Lord Advocate

Looking great! Love the gritty interface

Honestly coolest image you guys have released yet! Looks like a lot more icons on the mini map for different types of NPC's...also really like how the boots go over portions of the leg armor/pant it look really slick. Also, love the different armor/weapon models/art they look fantastic and really unique.

Last edited by Renevent; 05-13-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Emissary

after seeing the UI for the "followers" in D3

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/...erface/cat/525

this looks positively professional and ready to go

I am not liking the new D3 look at all.
I had no problem with it until yesterday when they released the followers video.
but now ?

D3 looks too much like WOW and GrimDawn is looking SO MUCH better

I am so psyched for this game
Old 05-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Praetorian

All hail Crate and Medierra, they have listened to our pleas of despair!

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2001

I love the UI and the armor icons (and paperdoll) but I have a question or two;

1) The text - is it place holder or what? It seems off in the HP bar which kinda bothers me. It's not a huge issue but it does look a bit too big or something.

2) I see skills on the bottom.. icons are pretty nice and unique, but something else I noticed that intrigues me... 1,2,3,4,5 - L, R - 6,7,8,9,0. No doubt L and R are left and right MB, what reason did you guys do this? It is a good idea, I'm just curious.

3) On the left of the skill bar, the two arrows pointing up and down, this is the skillbar hot swap?

4)Like others have asked, what are those objects in your inventory? Crafting ingredients?

5) I see the shield you have has a + on it, like in TQ when you enchanted an item, it looked the same. Do you guys plan to change this? (if you CAN change it that is..)
Anyway. I love the minimap, it looks great. And the HP bar section, I see a clock!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Champion

Awesome, thanks a lot medierra. This is really quite a ton of new stuff you gave us this months.

Anyway criticism!

1) I really like the textures and the overall looks of the inventory and the ui and everything.

2) Minor things so far that I don't like. The first one is the fonts used for the hp/energy in the top-left corner. It looks like a placeholder and I kind of hope that it is exactly that. If not...implement a slider so we can change the fonts? xD *jk*

3) As I said I like the textures and backgrounds in the inventory however in the Info Page it makes the numbers for HP and Energy a bit hard to read.

4) The icons for the resistances: Fire, Ice and Lightning look a bit...too bright and simple, especially the one for Fire looks like it was made with powerpoint. I don't want to offend someone but if you compare it with the Icon for Poison (it looks great) you see a huge difference.

5) The UI, as good as it looks, appears to be a bit...mixed up? The buttons are spread all over it, maybe skills should be on one side and the other buttons on the other? Like in TQ. (I know you said that yourself but I wanted to give feedback to your thought).

6) Size of the shoulderpats...they are 2x2 while bodyarmor is 2x3. Do you see what I am thinking? They are HUGE in the inventory just like the shields. Maybe you can adjust that, it looks a bit irritating to me at least.

This all is nitpicking and pretty minor stuff, don't get me wrong. Everything already looks very good and playable as it is but well...I thought I'd share my thoughts. :P

@items: I think some looks like scrapmetal, it appears to be stacked? Then we can see salt, potions, energypotions (I like that they are green and not the typical royal-blue). Those rocks look like they are gems or something? They appear to be of varied quality, with the topmost being of highest quality.
That one thing with 5 stacks, looks like a radioactive starfish? oO

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Lots of questions! Can't get to them all now but ill try to answer a few.

Font - I agree it looks bad at larger sizes and we'll look into getting something else eventually. We're currently using it because it is free. You wouldn't believe how damn expensive it is to license a good font.

The objects on the left are both crafting ingredients and charms. Some are only ingredients but others can be used as either.

Quote:
I see the shield you have has a + on it, like in TQ when you enchanted an item, it looked the same. Do you guys plan to change this? (if you CAN change it that is..)
Hah yeah, it does look the same but it is actually new art. I couldn't think of what else to do for it so I just recreated it. I'll probably try to get one of the artists to come up with something better.

Quote:
On the left of the skill bar, the two arrows pointing up and down, this is the skillbar hot swap?
Yeah, that is some fancy designer UI art where I just drew arrows as stand-in buttons. The merchant icons are equally silly at the moment.

I think I definitely want to re-arrange the HUD, I really don't like having the hotslot buttons separated but there are other things I need to finish before I do another pass on that.

Quote:
Size of the shoulderpats...they are 2x2 while bodyarmor is 2x3. Do you see what I am thinking? They are HUGE in the inventory just like the shields. Maybe you can adjust that, it looks a bit irritating to me at least.
This is just one of the imperfections of grid style inventory that we have to deal with. In terms of size relation, shoulders should really probably be about 1/3 or 1/4 the size of full torso armor, however, due to their shape, they also need a square box. Of course, we can't just make a square box 1/3 the size, we're stuck using grid units. A 2x1 box would be too narrow or too short, a 1x1 shoulder piece would be way too small, and... well anyone think a 3 unit L-shape is a good idea? So, we're sort of stuck with 2x2. It isn't perfect but all systems have their drawbacks and I think this is one of the least offensive.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Advocate

Nice update folks, thank you.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction"~ Blaise Pascal

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
well anyone think a 3 unit L-shape is a good idea?
Inventory tetris?

You'll need to make items rotateable though.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Campaigner

All things considered I'd say I'd just run with the shoulder pieces that size. The alternative is making grid space smaller, which I suppose technically you could do, but that'd be a lot of reworking of the way the inventory system works to really make the most out of that kind of change.

Actually...I guess another alternative is to make the inventory art for chest pieces be bundled or folded up rather than spread out like they're on a hangar.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Excitement is mounting!

1. I love the fact that the clock survived. With the new icon, maybe more people will figure out that it is actually there.

2. What exactly does the 5 hot-key do, the action on the right or on the left?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Initiate

Looks quite good! I dig the aesthetic used. I think equipment looks quite good as well.

Am I the only person who sees two buttons with a 5 on them? There's the one with the downward chevrons and the one with the bloody blade...am I crazy?

Tags
inventory, user interface