Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Praetorian

Cool Affixes you would like to see

Hey guys,
Thought I would try and get a cool thread going where you suggest what you would like to see in terms of affixes make it into GD!

If you watch the Grim Dawn Kickstarter video in HD, starting from the 2 minute mark a unique item (Magnison's Gauntlets) can be seen with a prefix, so the name of the item is now Magi's Magnison's Gauntlets. So, given the fact we will most likely be seeing unique items with affixes, and some affixes can grant skills (seen here and here) I thought I would suggest a few of my own, that can make it in if Crate is looking for ideas in terms of affixes. Let's begin!

"Falconer's-", rare prefix for gloves

This affix is based off of falconry gloves, and the fact that they allow a pet falcon to perch on their owner's hand. So, with this rare prefix (that can only roll on gloves), a player would be able to temporarily summon a falcon pet! This could simply be a re-skinned raven to make it easier for the devs. This falcon could have a "Swipe" skill allowing them to "pickpocket" any droppable loot off of enemies in combat (from coins to potions to equipment). If you're lucky, your falcon could even disarm the enemy with Swipe!

Anyway, this one's my favorite out of my affix ideas as I can see it working so well (if implemented right). Falconry was at its peak in the 17th century (which would be around the century before the era GD is loosely based on), and if you can have Magi's Magnison's Gauntlets, surely you can have Falconer's Magnison's Gauntlets?!

So, let's get some good ideas going here guys! Suggest an affix you would like to see make it into GD!
Younghappy

Edit 1: We have a rare prefix for polearms, "Whaler's-", which increases physique and cunning (more physique than cunning though) and adds a percentage of bleeding damage, as well as additional damage to beasts and/or beastkin (equivalent to beastmen from TQ).

Edit 2: We have a rare suffix available to every item type except guns, "-of the Crusaders", which grants a passive skill on attack where each hit does normal attack damage plus a percentage of the last attack's damage, up to a certain number of attacks (if it goes beyond a certain number of attacks it could get OP).

Edit 3: We have a rare prefix that rolls on cloth armor only (coats, hoods, etc.), "Flagellant's-", which grants a "Frenzy" skill on being hit in which the flagellant "whips his/herself into a frenzy, increasing damage output and damage taken for a short time" (this would not be an actual whipping, just a self buff). This essentially means that a player with health to burn can effectively use this to kick ass for a short time while taking more damage. However, as it only rolls on cloth armor heavy soldiers might want to stay away from it as it would lower their survivability.

Edit 4: We have a rare prefix for crossbows, "Decurion's-", which grants a skill called "Decurion of the Arbalists" allowing the player to summon two motley arbalists, NPCs wearing mixed and matched outfits (an assortment of clothes and armor, as there is no organized military in Cairn anymore) and wielding crossbows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now

Last edited by Younghappy; 04-28-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Updating OP
Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 AM
Campaigner

Since Falconry is derived from Falcon, I would like to see other affixes that involves with other animals from the wild like boar, bear, tortoise, eagle, ferret, and etc.

Also, PoE's affix system with the items are pretty interesting in a way since all the mods are connected to the naming of the affixes (prefix and suffix). It might be worth collecting items that have bizarre names.

Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNamikaze View Post
Since Falconry is derived from Falcon, I would like to see other affixes that involves with other animals from the wild like boar, bear, tortoise, eagle, ferret, and etc.
I had another idea for one, which was surpassed by "Falconer's-", but is somewhat related to your idea. The prefix "Whaler's-" for polearms (given that the tool used for whaling is the harpoon).

"Whaler's-" would likely add physique and cunning (higher physique than cunning though). And maybe a little plus percentage bleeding damage. And +% damage to beasts and/or beastkin.

I would have suggested "Whaler's-" originally but I thought "Falconer's-" was cooler overall, given the affix summon skill.

Quote:
Also, PoE's affix system with the items are pretty interesting in a way since all the mods are connected to the naming of the affixes (prefix and suffix). It might be worth collecting items that have bizarre names.
I haven't tried PoE, despite several friends urging me to do so. It just doesn't really take my fancy, but that's a different story - can you elaborate a bit more on their affix system, or provide me with a link to read up on it a bit more?
Cheers,
Younghappy

Also, just to be clear, I do not support whaling (being in Australia I have strong feelings on it as it happens off our shores illegally, but I know whaling was common around the time GD is loosely based, so I thought it would fit from a lore standpoint).
Quote:

Last edited by Younghappy; 04-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
I haven't tried PoE, despite several friends urging me to do so. It just doesn't really take my fancy, but that's a different story - can you elaborate a bit more on their affix system, or provide me with a link to read up on it a bit more?
Cheers,
Younghappy

Here is the Prefix mods and Suffix mods that are under PoE affix system. Not saying it has to be these, but just a general idea on what are the meanings behind them. Hopefully, GD can do something akin to that.

Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNamikaze View Post
Here is the Prefix mods and Suffix mods that are under PoE affix system. Not saying it has to be these, but just a general idea on what are the meanings behind them. Hopefully, GD can do something akin to that.
I took a look at it, and yeah it is pretty interesting, starting off with low affixes like "of accuracy" and building up to high ones such as "of the Deadeye", I like it!
Cheers for the link John,
Younghappy
Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Advocate

Default As an HOMAGE to the First Diablo

Yes an homage to the First Diablo

"OF THE CRUSADERS : 50% of the previous attack's damage is added to the next one"

before Diablo became the monster hit it was for the original team at Blizzard there was early game testing that had this power suffix

it was removed before any public release but it once existed

it doesn't have to be that powerful, just something with "OF THE CRUSADERS" would be a great nod to the first real ARPG.

I can't wait to see all the prefixes and suffix the developers have in store for us.

I do hope some are unique affixes only available on unique items.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Yes an homage to the First Diablo

"OF THE CRUSADERS : 50% of the previous attack's damage is added to the next one"

before Diablo became the monster hit it was for the original team at Blizzard there was early game testing that had this power suffix

it was removed before any public release but it once existed

it doesn't have to be that powerful, just something with "OF THE CRUSADERS" would be a great nod to the first real ARPG.
I like the sound of that one, but one question: does it increase with every attack or does it revert to normal attack damage on the third hit. For example:
If I hit for say 50 damage
Next hit would be 75
But then would the third hit be 75 + 25% or would it go back to my normal attack damage (~50)

If it increases with every swing I could see it being very (almost OP?) powerful!

Quote:
I can't wait to see all the prefixes and suffix the developers have in store for us.

I do hope some are unique affixes only available on unique items.
I'm not sure on this, but I do know that there will be monster-specific affixes, so for example if you get a rare drop off of a specific monster, say a scavenger or something, you could get the affix "scavenger's-" and you would get stats similar to that type of enemy!

Cheers for the great "-of the Crusader's" idea, love the name and the stats (as long as it doesn't get to the point of OP!)
Younghappy
Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Praetorian

Here's another one:

"Flagellant's-", rare prefix for cloth armour; hoods, coats, etc.

Flagellants were religious zealots in times of plague who used to publicly whip themselves to atone for their sins and be spared of the plague, which they believed was God's doing.

This affix in GD would grant a "Frenzy" skill on being hit, in which the flagellant "whips his/herself into a frenzy, increasing damage output and damage taken for a short time."

This is essentially a berserker's affix, in which damage taken is increased, but so is damage output, so it is extremely useful if you have health to burn and aren't too fragile. Another thing, though: it only rolls on cloth armour; hoods, coats, etc., and so a soldier who prefers heavy armour has to decide on what would be more useful, an overcoat that allows them to kick ass for a short time or a protective breastplate that keeps them alive longer. A tough choice, eh?
Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Praetorian

seeing flaggelants are used to taking a beating they should have higher natural defence to begin with :P

as long as they're all in a way that players have a chance to use their skills/reflexes to avoid the effect of the affixes I'm cool with it. Really hated Diablo 3 where you avoid the frosty explosions, lasers and pools of fire just to get cheesily sucked back in due to a vortex. That was just cheap and made player skill pretty useless and the game more gear oriented.

Last edited by Gibly; 04-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Counsel

awesome thread, and i love that video too

I have already said this in the skill suggestion thread, and I don't really have a specific idea, but I want affix's for shields that make it worth using then other than just block chance. Most of the time in games, if you are using a shield you are sacrificing more dps somewhere, so I would like a balance in the affix's that rewards you with some cool shield skill or ability without making it op
Closed Thread

Tags
affixes, ideas, itemization, items, suggestions