Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Advocate

Maybe, but what's the use of picking one up for defense if you're swapping it for a shield.
I just can't see it working as an off-hand for soldiers. The sole purpose for a soldier to go one handed (not dual wielding) is to swap out some attack power in exchange for defense. Who in their right mind would read war tactics out of a fulcrum in the middle of a fight. A bit late if you ask me.

Then again I can see it work on occultists to recite offensive, defensive, summoning spells. And dragon hide could give extra magic resists/magic damage/-% physical/elemental dmg received.

I simply find it

Steam: fuzztron
Battle.net: Fussel#2472

Currently playing: PoE
Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth - Wolfenstein: the New Colossus - Dragonquest XI
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KondaImmortal View Post
What if it was a really intense high level fulcrum?

It could be bound in the equivalent of dragon hide to provide defense and bonus damage of four different types. It could grant +2 to Blitz.
I was actually thinking it could grant +2 to Field Command, a team aura that's effect shows chevrons (the downward arrows representing rank) above your char's and allies' heads - this would give it the feel of a manual written by an inspiring leader (a famous field marshal in Cairn's lore).

But anyway I thank you both for the support of the idea, and I don't mind if you wouldn't like a heavily-armored soldier carrying a book - I mentioned in my OP that some would probably find it ridiculous, given that soldiers are more designed to use shields or dual-wielding.

Also, the dragon hide/equivalent of dragon hide idea is neat, Konda. To that effect, another idea for a fulcrum could be a revered slayer's beast-hunting manual, which gives bonus damage to beasts (if there are any, I'm only just assuming we'll see "normal" beasts and not just productions of the Outsiders).

Thankyou Konda and Shrimp, as well as everyone else for the replies and feedback, and Mihalis, thanks for the compliment!
Cheers all,
Younghappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now

Last edited by Younghappy; 04-10-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: General edit
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Praetorian

You could definitely create some interesting lore for these items.

Having ideas like the Dragon Hide idea are great and could note the name of the dragon and name of the hero who killed it and made the book.

Or have a more darker fulcrum where it's written by one of the higher ranking Cultists who used his blood as ink and the skin of tortured victims as it's binding. This will then give the fulcrum an ability to steal life from a target enemy and have a chance to cause the target to be petrified as it witnesses the horrors of those who were tortured in the creation of this evil object. Could have a requirement to have one of your mastery's be Cultist - that or a high attribute for magic.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
I was actually thinking it could grant +2 to Field Command...
I was not talking about yours which sounds really cool I was trying to show Shrimp that there could be some 'power' use for a fulcrum.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KondaImmortal View Post
I was not talking about yours which sounds really cool I was trying to show Shrimp that there could be some 'power' use for a fulcrum.
Oh, my bad. And yeah, that would be good to see, especially seeing as medierra does plan for some caster items on soldiers, as we have seen here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
You can also see one of the many cool new caster focus items we've added on the male... is that a human skull?!
Seeing as the male is a soldier, I'd say that human skull is possibly a caster/tank hybrid, which would be cool. I wonder if it's an epic or if human skulls make up a new "tier" of common-rare caster items?

Edit: Oh and I'm glad you like the Tactics Treatise, Konda, it seems we share an interest in unusual "class items".
Cheers,
Younghappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now
Closed Thread

Tags
casters, equipment, itemization, items, left-hand, loot