Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Praetorian

Wink Some Fulcrum Suggestions

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd post a few item suggestions, but this time with a little twist: fulcrums only. Fulcrums are the off-hand books we've mainly seen used by casters in a few screenshots and the Occultist class video.
So here we go!

First up:

Malleus Maleficarum
A treatise on the prosecution of witches from the 15th century, the Malleus Maleficarum, literally meaning "Hammer of Witches" in English, is an off-hand book (fulcrum) for the Occultist class.

The main purpose of the Malleus was to attempt to refute arguments claiming that witchcraft does not exist, discredit those who expressed skepticism about its reality, and to educate magistrates on the procedures that could find them out and convict them. To me, this would be an example of a cool item designed for a specific class, in this case the Occultist, a practitioner of witchcraft.

And now:

Tactics Treatise
A military manual designed for the Soldier class and written by a famous field marshal in Cairn's lore. While this item is unusual for the Soldier class, as they often prefer shields or dual wielding to fulcrums, it is clearly beneficial to Soldiers as it gives +skill points to one of their skills, field command.

While the above image is of a U.S. military manual, it would probably be similar to a military manual in Cairn, given the year (1861). Just imagine the Soldier below, in his full plate armor and everything, but instead of a shield in his off-hand, he's holding a book. Some may think that's ridiculous, but I say it is epic.

All in all, I hope you enjoyed reading through these item suggestions guys, be sure to tell me what you think in the comments!
Cheers,
Younghappy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malleus Maleficarum.jpg (49.1 KB, 1529 views)
File Type: jpg Tactics Treatise.jpg (81.0 KB, 941 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now

Last edited by Younghappy; 04-14-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Praetorian

First idea would be fine if their are "book" items (otherwise this would be truly unique).

Second option I'm fine with.

Third option I find ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
First idea would be fine if their are "book" items (otherwise this would be truly unique).

Second option I'm fine with.

Third option I find ridiculous.

Yes, there are book items in-game already, called fulcrums, in the form of books for casters. One can be seen held by the Occultist in the art for that class. The idea behind fulcrums is like an off-hand item mainly for casters, similar to how the Soldier is the main one expected to use a shield.

I'm glad you like two of the options, but I am at a bit of a loss as to the third... what is the third item?
The two items I suggested were the Malleus Maleficarum, a witch hunter's manual for the Occultist, and the Tactics Treatise, a strategy guide written by a famous field marshal for the Soldier.
If by "second item" you mean the Witchstalker, that is already an item in game, from Zantai's 10th Grim Misadventures.

Anyway I'm glad you liked at least one of my suggestions (I believe you mean the Malleus), so cheers for that!
Younghappy

Edit: Here's a screenshot of an Occultist in what appears to be the Warden's Laboratory, holding a fulcrum in their off-hand. http://www.grimdawn.com/screenshots/...tory01_lrg.jpg
Quote:

Last edited by Younghappy; 04-09-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 AM
Champion

Smile

I love the first one, it reminds me of the Warhammer universe. =)

The second, I also like a lot from a lore perspective, but I would imagine that more like a thing for a "talisman" slot, not an offhand. =))

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
Yes, there are book items in-game already, called fulcrums, in the form of books for casters. One can be seen held by the Occultist in the art for that class. The idea behind fulcrums is like an off-hand item mainly for casters, similar to how the Soldier is the main one expected to use a shield.

I'm glad you like two of the options, but I am at a bit of a loss as to the third... what is the third item?
The two items I suggested were the Malleus Maleficarum, a witch hunter's manual for the Occultist, and the Tactics Treatise, a strategy guide written by a famous field marshal for the Soldier.
If by "second item" you mean the Witchstalker, that is already an item in game, from Zantai's 10th Grim Misadventures.

Anyway I'm glad you liked at least one of my suggestions (I believe you mean the Malleus), so cheers for that!
Younghappy

Edit: Here's a screenshot of an Occultist in what appears to be the Warden's Laboratory, holding a fulcrum in their off-hand. http://www.grimdawn.com/screenshots/...tory01_lrg.jpg
Whoops, thought that the Witchstalker gun was another idea.

Otherwise I'm more in favor of the first item since it can fit a magic user more.

For your other item being used by the soldier... I'll go with i.n.s.a.n.e and would see that it would fit as an artifact like in TQ.

Otherwise the requirement for using that in a shield slot should make it either class depended (soldier + arcane or cultist), or have a high requirement of the magical attribute.

I think I was a bit hasty on my comment as when I think of a soldier using a book I would find that ridiculous. But if it was more magic oriented, then sure I would be more inclined to see how it could work (a ranged soldier/other class).
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
Whoops, thought that the Witchstalker gun was another idea.

Otherwise I'm more in favor of the first item since it can fit a magic user more.

For your other item being used by the soldier... I'll go with i.n.s.a.n.e and would see that it would fit as an artifact like in TQ.

Otherwise the requirement for using that in a shield slot should make it either class depended (soldier + arcane or cultist), or have a high requirement of the magical attribute.

I think I was a bit hasty on my comment as when I think of a soldier using a book I would find that ridiculous. But if it was more magic oriented, then sure I would be more inclined to see how it could work (a ranged soldier/other class).
Heh, I was kinda intending it to be a bit of an unusual item, given that a soldier would either be using a shield or going dual-wield, not usually carrying a book, which is often more oriented towards casters.
Anyway I was also intending this item to be a bit "unique" in terms of fulcrum stats. Instead of granting full-on caster stats, it would grant "hybrid stats" such as -cooldown time, which, while a "caster stat" in a way, is still helpful for a soldier with a lot of active skills.
Given that it is also a "training manual" by lore, it could possibly grant +% experience gain, which is a rare stat, and unique given that is doesn't appear often.
I agree it could also work as a talisman, but I feel it might lose some of its "unusual-ness", as I said above, it was intended to be an out-of-the-ordinary item for a Soldier.
Anyway, I'm glad you liked the Malleus idea, thanks for the replies insane and DeMasked!
Cheers,
Younghappy
Quote:

Last edited by Younghappy; 04-10-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: General edit
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Campaigner

Its amazing this dude never runs out of ideas! Congrats Young!

Your first fulcrum idea sounds interesting. The second one for the soldier, not so much. Personally i fail to imagine a soldier class on heavy armour equiped with a book, although logical after combining masteries.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Campaigner

I like how the book for the soldier is different and you guys can just be less stereotype and appreciate it. Soldiers used to be educated people so they can read; soldiers are not barbarians.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Advocate

Sorry, I'll be using two-handers to smash sh*t, so I won't need any fulcrums.
The idea of fulcrums itself is pretty neat, but having one for a soldier feels really out of place imo.
Pushing this idea, you'll be able to see robe-wearing soldiers, bow wielding occultists, ... to the point it'll start to affect/ruin the grim atmosphere.
I might be able to see fulcrums work as a sort of accessory, replacing a ring or necklace hanging with a chain from the armor/neck (if small). But even then.

Just my opinion.
But as always I do approve your brainstorming.

Steam: fuzztron
Battle.net: Fussel#2472

Currently playing: PoE
Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth - Wolfenstein: the New Colossus - Dragonquest XI

Last edited by Shrimp; 04-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Campaigner

What if it was a really intense high level fulcrum?

It could be bound in the equivalent of dragon hide to provide defense and bonus damage of four different types. It could grant +2 to Blitz.

Tags
casters, equipment, itemization, items, left-hand, loot