Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 AM
Praetorian

Cool Some Item Suggestions

Hey guys,
Thought I'd suggest a few more unique items given the new skill mastery art released recently. All three of these items are based around particular builds of certain classes, because those are my favourite type of items due to their uniqueness.

First up, an unexpected Soldier class item:

Field Medic Brassard
A white (possibly bloodied) field medic's armband with a red cross on it, worn on the upper arm and intended for an unusual healeing-based soldier build. As several skills of the combat mastery focus on healing, why not an item that functions as a soldier's arm armour, albeit with unconventional low armour rating, focusing on a healer build for the soldier class, while still tying in with the "military" theme of the mastery.

Now, to get my point across about this item, imagine the Soldier below, albeit without the leather bracers, wearing instead the Field Medic Brassard, and you have an idea of how this item would look cool on the char. Despite its low armour rating compared to other Soldier armours (it's only a strip of cloth after all), this item's healing stats would almost certainly make up for that, while also thematically making sense with the "military" theme of the item, which ties in with the Soldier.

Up next, a thematically cool Demolition mastery item:

Trainwrecker's Helmet
"The makeshift helmet of a notorious outlaw known as the Trainwrecker, who gained the moniker by pulling up railway lines and fashioning near bulletproof armour out of them."
Basically I would love to see the helmet (or possibly the full armour) of legendary Australian outlaw Ned Kelly in GD, seeing as he built the armour out of iron (true scavenger armour!) from railway lines he pulled up to stop the police (who travelled by train) that were coming after him and his gang. Some cool GD lore about an outlaw (like the description above) that mirrors Ned Kelly would be cool as the item flavour text.

As above, just imagine the Demolitionist below wearing the Trainwrecker's Helmet, and try to tell me that doesn't look awesome. As if the cool name, look, and backstory wasn't enough, I'd suggest some cool unique stats for the helm to match the general theme of the item (+X% damage to destructible environments, anyone?)

And now, an out-of-the-ordinary weapon for the Occultist class:

Witchfury
Literally just a two-handed sword designed for the Occultist class. I always loved unusual builds, so I would love to see a soldier weapon (such as a two-handed sword) designed for a caster class, especially an "evil" sort of caster class, such as the Occultist, because then you end up with wicked names such as "Witchfury"!

To envisage the deadliest character you have ever seen, just picture the Occultist below charging into melee combat against the zombies in front of him while brandishing the Witchfury. If that isn't one of the coolest things you have ever seen, I'd suggest a sanity check. Along with the cool look and uniqueness of the item (being a two-handed sword for a caster class), the Witchfury also ties in with the Occultist theme, being an "evil" sword for "witches"!

Well, that's all from me for this suggestion guys! I hope you enjoyed reading through this compilation of thematically cool item ideas, and feel free to leave any comments you have, as feedback is always appreciated!
Cheers,
Younghappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now

Last edited by Younghappy; 03-24-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Praetorian

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6390

I'd rather leave Crate Entertainment to their work and be pleasantly surprised with what items they come up with.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6390

I'd rather leave Crate Entertainment to their work and be pleasantly surprised with what items they come up with.
Yes, this thread is more of an update (with the new art so it looks better) to my older one, but I didn't want to bump it, so I just posted this new one.
Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Praetorian

I also try not to bump threads. If anything I try to add something to the thread so that it not only adds to the discussion, but also bumps it.

As for necroing a thread or in this case creating a near exact copy of a thread... I would probably not encourage it unless you make it different by either adding or just showing new "items".

In a complete response to this thread and the items that you propose.

Item 1: We have potions, if their will be armor types that enforce healing either in skills or stats I'm sure Crate has some ideas that already exist.

Item 2: I don't really like the look of the helmet. If anything I can only see it as being in the trash or holding the trash. I can't imagine someone wearing something that dented and look awesome. If I saw this lying around I wouldn't bother picking it up, probably would look like a damaged white/grey item.

Item 3: Generic 2 handed sword. I'm sure Crate already has tons of 2 handed swords of many different looks... if they have one that's for a mage caster I'm sure they do or will have one.

So yea.. I'm just against the look of the items, but I'm sure Crate will have such items though appearing far differently.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
In a complete response to this thread and the items that you propose.

Item 1: We have potions, if their will be armor types that enforce healing either in skills or stats I'm sure Crate has some ideas that already exist.
There is a combat mastery skill called Will to live that heals and grants damage resistance for a short time, but has a really long cooldown meaning it can't be exploited. The appearance of this skill is little red plus signs over the char's head, and given the "military" theme of the combat mastery this is what gave me the idea for this item.

Personally I really like it as it isn't heavy armour, and isn't what you would typically expect a soldier to wear, but that's exactly why I like games like this: unique itemization!

And I'm sure Crate has some ideas too, but I thought I might as well put mine out there. Saying "Crate probably has ideas, no need to suggest more" doesn't make sense in the slightest.

Quote:
Item 2: I don't really like the look of the helmet. If anything I can only see it as being in the trash or holding the trash. I can't imagine someone wearing something that dented and look awesome. If I saw this lying around I wouldn't bother picking it up, probably would look like a damaged white/grey item.
I am going to strongly disagree with you on this one, given the fact that this helmet is an Australian icon, and in real life was bulletproof, and made out railway lines, perfect for the time period and theme of GD's items (scavenged armour).

Quote:
Item 3: Generic 2 handed sword. I'm sure Crate already has tons of 2 handed swords of many different looks... if they have one that's for a mage caster I'm sure they do or will have one.
Once again, I know Crate will already have ideas for their two-handed weapons, but I still thought I would suggest what I thought would be cool for a melee caster weapon. And no, I doubt they will have "tons of 2 handed swords", as that is not an item type they were even expecting to garner funding on KS, which it did. There will likely only be a few, rare ones, which is why I thought I would suggest one for the players that like experimental builds such as an evil heavy melee caster.

Quote:
So yea.. I'm just against the look of the items, but I'm sure Crate will have such items though appearing far differently.
To each his own, but I thank you for commenting your opinions on this DeMasked,
Younghappy
Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Speaker

Good ol' Ned Kelly still stirring up a storm after all these years

I have to disagree Demasked, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with Younghappy's outpouring of ideas and stuff and I don't think a small team like Crate would turn around and say "No we don't want your ideas and stuff, because we know it all." - leave that to Lord British. If it even gives Zentai or Med a smile, it's done it's job.

On the subject, I like the first idea, light armour for a heavy warrior but with added healing skills.

Second idea, Ned's is it a helment or a badly shaped piece of metal? That helmet always says desperation to me, maybe adds a +attack speed - health regen buff on low hit points (Blaze of Glory?)

Last idea, meh, never liked the whole I'm a mage who is going to play as a warrior! Yeah sure, then why don't you just play a warrior! But everyone to his own :-)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Champion

Smile

Like your ideas, Younghappy, as always! I hope Crate includes them all in GD! =)

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.n.s.a.n.e View Post
Like your ideas, Younghappy, as always! I hope Crate includes them all in GD! =)
Thanks insane! And yeah, I hope the devs have (unusual) items along these lines planned out, items you wouldn't expect to see being used by that class that are designed for that class.
Cheers,
Younghappy
Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Champion

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
Thanks insane! And yeah, I hope the devs have (unusual) items along these lines planned out, items you wouldn't expect to see being used by that class that are designed for that class.
Cheers,
Younghappy
Hehe, yeah! It's all about items after all. =)

Tiny offtopic: Damn, I can't wait to play and collect already!!!

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.n.s.a.n.e View Post
Hehe, yeah! It's all about items after all. =)

Tiny offtopic: Damn, I can't wait to play and collect already!!!
Indeed!
And I'd hardly call that going off topic, I feel the exact same way! It's all these "item suggestion" threads that help me pass the time.
Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
armor, classes, itemization, items, uniques