Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Praetorian

Arrow Dungeon Siege III - Good Game or Bad?

I have been playing Dungeon Siege III recently, a game some people view as great and some view as horrible, and I've decided to write my thoughts on it! Read on if you're interested! First off, I must say, DS3 is a fascinating game. The lore is well thought out, and the information on the world is appropriately placed (for example, I will have just cleared a camp of Lescanzi mercenaries, and in the safehouse beyond, where my allies are hiding, I will find a lore book describing Lescanzi culture, etc.)

The enemies are cool, and well explained. Such enemies as the Dakkenwyr, beast lords with features of many animals including boars, wolves, and wolverines, have their abilities explained in the lore, and finding such books is the key to defeating them, as they outline their strengths and weaknesses. I hope something like this can make it into GD (lore that helps out in defeating rare types of enemies)

I only have one problem with the game, and it is a major one; the loot. Not the quality or the stats, or even the itemization. The amount is the problem. In DS3, the majority of the legendary items (the only truly unique items in the world) are in set locations. And while they are not directly presented in these set locations (you have to search for them, etc.), when you know where they are, there is no challenge in the loot department anymore.

GameBanshee has a comprehensive equipment database, and anyone can look up where the items are, and then just find them, and very few of the legendaries are random drops, but always in the same location. For example, a Goblin Needler pistol is a random drop in the Great Foundry, but there are so many Goblins in the Great Foundry that you are guaranteed to find one. *sigh*

Another thing, the loot is set per character. Lucas (melee), Anjali (fire), Katarina (guns) and Reinhart (mage) are the four playable characters, and the loot is set for a particular char only. If I find a nice spear as Lucas, I can't equip it as Lucas' only weapons are swords and shields, and so I have to give the spear to Anjali as that is the only weapon she'll equip. While this is how the devs intended it, some of the things don't make sense. Why can't Lucas equip a spear? Even if Anjali has trained longer with spears, why can't Lucas keep the weapon and use it for its longer reach?

But the loot in terms of quality is excellent, as is the naming and itemization, despite the amount. Some of my favourite items/names from the game so far:
  • Seck Curseplate (Cuirass for Lucas)
    The Seck was an evil cult in Dungeon Siege lore, that took over the kingdom of Ehb after a great war. A female hero, a farmer who would later be called Lady Montbarron, put down this cult during the events of the first game. So the name "Seck Curseplate" indicates this is cultist armor, and "Curseplate" is a wickedly cool name, instead of breastplate, etc.
  • Bladerest Shoulders (Pauldrons for Lucas)
    These shoulderplates for Lucas have a real "mercenary" feel to them, as the name refers to how soldiers, etc. sometimes rest the weapon they're carrying on one shoulder, hence the name "Bladerest". It's just a shame no animation was included that when Lucas stands still while wearing these, he rests his sword on his shoulder. That would have been epic.
  • Desert Claw & Desert Fang (Main-hand and off-hand pistols for Katarina)
    This pair of pistols were not only amazing in terms of stats, but I just loved how they were meant to go together. I believe we are going to see something like this in GD with the Marauder's Justice set, as it has two pistols, Marauder's Justice and Marauder's fury.
  • Corset of the Royal Consort (Torso armor for Katarina)
    The thing I loved most about this item was its set location, which some of you might find odd as I mentioned how that took away from the challenge of the loot department. The thing is, this item was not only hidden, but the player would not realize why it was where it was unless they found some lore in an earlier location. The corset is found in a sarcophagus in a walled up room in an important family's mausoleum. But earlier in the game (about an hour's playing time previously), the player could visit the same family's abandoned manor, and find a scroll written by the Lord of the manor detailing his sadness over the loss of his wife, and how he was planning on walling up his wife's sarcophagus in the family mausoleum, and closing the portal there, so he could no longer lament and instead move on. The corset is found in a walled up room, and then you work out this is the Lord's wife's corset. Very interesting.
  • Foecleaver (Greatsword for Lucas)
    The massive sword of the half-giant brigand Drakomir, the second "real" boss in Dungeon Siege 3 (the rest being mini-bosses save for one). Drakomir is a classic dungeon crawler boss, being that he's gigantic, wields a sword way to big for the PC (that shrinks when he drops it ) and he taunts the PC on the way to fight him at the end of his respective dungeon. I could go on about Drakomir's lore, but I'm starting to feel this thread is a bit long, and I still have to cover the story!

And so we come to the story. The winner for me, in this game. The story is brilliant in its simplicity. Jeyne Kassynder, a peasant girl that rose to power as a living saint in the eyes of the people, has been hunting the 10th Legion (the human army of Ehb, accused of murdering the King) for 30 years. She is the prime suspect when Legion survivors are massacred at the start of the game, while attempting to re-form the Legion and take back Ehb.

With no real twist, it turns out Jeyne is the one who ordered the attack, but because the lore is so deep and the like, you don't feel the need for a twist, and the story remains interesting. The rest of the game is spent hunting for allies, befriending the royal court and convincing them the Legion is innocent in the King's death, etc.

The major twist in the end is that Jeyne is the King's daughter, but not recognised as such because she was abandoned.

The story leads to the Spire, Jeyne's fortress. This is where the majority of items are suddenly dumped on the PC. In the quest "Dungeon Siege", where you decide whether or not to free the prisoners in Jeyne's cells, you have an option to free Fitch, a thief, or leave him to rot. The quest has two endings:
  1. If you let Fitch go, he retrieves his loot stash and offers to sell items to you. He becomes a merchant with a lot of high level equipment, but you need lots of cash in this instance. Then again, seeing as the majority of legendaries are in set locations, you'll probably have a lot of spare money, as it isn't used a great deal.
  2. If you left Fitch to rot, you get to loot his chest, and you receive (for free), a whole lot of items, albeit different to the ones he offers to sell.

While this is a cool quest, I didn't really enjoy the "item dump", as it were. I prefer to slowly find my items, not suddenly buy a whole lot of them or recieve them for free. Option 1) is like D3's AH.

All in all, I would give Dungeon Siege III a solid 7/10, an above-decent score, and I recommend you to try it!
Cheers for reading, especially if you managed to read all the way through!
Younghappy
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now

Last edited by Younghappy; 12-21-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Praetorian

It has been quite a long time since I have played it. From what I remember it was unplayable with a mouse/keyboard combo and was forced to use my controller which was a shame. Sure I don't mind playing with a controller, but being forced to because the other option is so horrible is not right. Even though you get a fair amount of items in the game. The ones you use and need for upgrades are far and few in between.

The lore/story was decent. But DS2 had me spoiled, because that was just awesome with its cut scenes and giving such a grand feeling. Still DS3 has some nice things in store for you as well.

Some fights gave me the feel of actually needing some form of mild tactics instead of just standing in front of an opponent bashing buttons.

It was a fun game. Good, but not great.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibly View Post
It has been quite a long time since I have played it. From what I remember it was unplayable with a mouse/keyboard combo and was forced to use my controller which was a shame. Sure I don't mind playing with a controller, but being forced to because the other option is so horrible is not right. Even though you get a fair amount of items in the game. The ones you use and need for upgrades are far and few in between.

The lore/story was decent. But DS2 had me spoiled, because that was just awesome with its cut scenes and giving such a grand feeling. Still DS3 has some nice things in store for you as well.

Some fights gave me the feel of actually needing some form of mild tactics instead of just standing in front of an opponent bashing buttons.

It was a fun game. Good, but not great.
Is it worth the 7/10 I gave it then, in your opinion? Or would you give it a 5 or a 6? Still, what you said about the game is very true, its just a shame that I haven't tried DS2. DS3 was the first game for me in the series.
Cheers for the reply,
Younghappy
Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Praetorian

It is definately worth the 7. I'd even go so far as 8 minus. To quote the mini-review I placed on my youtube playthrough at the time was...

Quote:
The story is worked out well. The graphics are decent and capture the atmosphere well enough. Battle mechanics work well with a controller. Battles are no longer down to chugging potions while hacking an HP-bag. You need tactics in this game which makes most battles fun and challenging with a few that remain to slugging away at a big HP-bag. Voice acting of NPC's is done well, but the PC I played with was dramatically awful. The fact that the replay value is low as well as the lack of item-fever which is normal for a Hack n Slash game I still give this game an 8- out of 10. Which is about an 7.7 - 7.8 mark out of 10.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibly View Post
It is definately worth the 7. I'd even go so far as 8 minus. To quote the mini-review I placed on my youtube playthrough at the time was...

The story is worked out well. The graphics are decent and capture the atmosphere well enough. Battle mechanics work well with a controller. Battles are no longer down to chugging potions while hacking an HP-bag. You need tactics in this game which makes most battles fun and challenging with a few that remain to slugging away at a big HP-bag. Voice acting of NPC's is done well, but the PC I played with was dramatically awful. The fact that the replay value is low as well as the lack of item-fever which is normal for a Hack n Slash game I still give this game an 8- out of 10. Which is about an 7.7 - 7.8 mark out of 10.
I believe your comment just summed the game up better (and in fewer words) than my OP.
Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Champion

It sounds like a great game from your review, Younghappy. It would even get me tempted to buy it.. but I remember the beyond-worst camera and controls from the demo. =(

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Herald

I found it okay on it's own terms, and I'm sure it would have been received better if it didn't have a PC arpg name attached to it. It's a decent little action beatemup, but if you go in expecting a fully fledged arpg (like most DS fans were) you will be disappointed.

I played it in coop and had an ok time. The beginning of the game is pretty tedious as they spend a lot of time easing you into it, but it really picks up once it gets a little harder and you get some skills to play with.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Praetorian

I wasn't expecting a fully fledged ARPG. I was expecting a fully fledged hack and slash like its predecessors. I was surprised to find out that DS3 was a fully fledged console ARPG, but on the PC. Took me 2 hours to get used to that. Biggest pet peeve was taht you were forced to play with a controller since playing with a keyboard was un-doable and frustrating.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Champion

I like the game a lot, though I know many hate it. I personally find keyboard & mouse controls just fine (maybe because I never played the unpatched version) but the game definitely plays better with a controller, which is fine, some games play better with controllers, some with joysticks, some with keyboard & mouse.

Currently Playing: Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.n.s.a.n.e View Post
It sounds like a great game from your review, Younghappy. It would even get me tempted to buy it.. but I remember the beyond-worst camera and controls from the demo. =(
Yeah, that's a problem I forgot to mention; the keyobard controls... sometimes they can be frustrating, even in the patched version, but at least now it is actually possible to play using keyboard controls.

Overall though, like Gibly said, it's a good game in its own right, but not a great one. It's one of those games where you can sit down with it and just have some fun, but not an awesome game that you want to replay over and over after you complete it (like GD will be).
Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
itemization, items, loot, loot system, review