Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Campaigner

Default @jerm1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm1974 View Post
I hope Grim Dawn is not an online game.
I keep seeing this show up on the D3 related forums. Grim Dawn will have offline singleplayer, Local Area Network, and Online (up to 16 players or something).
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadren View Post
But the economy was a huge part of play in Diablo 2 on battle.net, and it's a part of the game that Blizzard really didn't plan for. They are planning for it this time.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. They saw just how much the economy played in the game in the past, and they wanted to integrate it and take their cut as well. It would seem many don't realize just how much the D2 economy meant to some people.

There is the optimistic view that Blizzard saw the ah dynamic that happened with D2, so decided to help the gamer by including an auction house inside of D3. By doing so they helped legitimize the AH, and helped to protect users against scam artists. Now all Diablo users can experience the auction house with little danger, and without the costs that some D2 users faced.

Then there is the pessimistic view that Blizzard saw the ah dynamic that happened with D2, and decided that they wanted a piece of the multimillion dollar pie, so implemented the AH to ensure that they received their cut of the proceeds this time around.

The truth, however, is probably somewhere in between those polar examples.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Supporter

It also needs to be considered that most of those who play D3 actually want the AH. There's no reliable survey stating that most players are upset about this although the rage online can give the view that players hate it. It's just that you can't really judge much based on rage online aside from knowing that some people are angry.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hay82 View Post
It also needs to be considered that most of those who play D3 actually want the AH. There's no reliable survey stating that most players are upset about this although the rage online can give the view that players hate it. It's just that you can't really judge much based on rage online aside from knowing that some people are angry.
Well, isn't that the same with stating "most people want the AH". How do you know? And do you differentiate between RMAH and GAH?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Speaker

There is a difference between implementing an [optional] auction house and designing a game around it.

Odd that I don't remember their mentioning it at Blizzcon.

Arenanet (Guild Wars) seems to manage their servers wonderfully without any imposed RMT.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
There is the optimistic view that Blizzard saw the ah dynamic that happened with D2, so decided to help the gamer by including an auction house inside of D3. By doing so they helped legitimize the AH, and helped to protect users against scam artists. Now all Diablo users can experience the auction house with little danger, and without the costs that some D2 users faced.
And then came along the account hacks. Reports of players (with Authenticator and not) logging back in only to discover that any half-way decent gear they've aquired along with thier gold, is gone. And anything that might have bene worth selling along with it.

------

On an offside note. Is it me or are lot of threads in this forum about D3 and how Grim Dawn shouldn't be. and does this sorta feel more like a rant? I'm just wondering is all.

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I play for grass of course!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Speaker

--a little from column A....some from column B...

What not to do is as valuable as what to do.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Emissary

what's the source that Blizz limited item drops to encourage people to use the AH ?

I know item drops are atrocious, but I figured it was just Blizzard's way of making people grind and adding longevity and also to encourage leveling up the blacksmith and crafting
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesL View Post
what's the source that Blizz limited item drops to encourage people to use the AH ?

I know item drops are atrocious, but I figured it was just Blizzard's way of making people grind and adding longevity and also to encourage leveling up the blacksmith and crafting
A blue posted the item drop rates were specifically designed around people using the AH. I think someone linked it in another thread on the forum if you want to read it.

Last edited by Renevent; 05-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Praetorian

There are two questions that I would like to have a better idea of:

1) Are Blizzard really intent on making money with the implementation of the real money Auction House?

2) To what degree, if any, have they purposely balanced the game in such a way that any reasonably skilled and dedicated player would be advantaged by using the real money Auction House rather than playing the game?

If Blizzard are intent on making money from the RMAH (and there are alternatives to them doing so) then question 2 becomes even more important than it already is. I object to there being an unseen tax being placed upon me by any game. If any player does not wish to take the time to play the game in its intended state and can buy 'cheats' with real money then so be it - that is a matter for the individual to decide. If, however, the game is designed in such a way that to be playing at an optimally balanced level, I need to buy further content with real money, then I would argue that the game has been sold incomplete. I would never agree to purchase such a game in any circumstances.

It really does matter whether the game is optimally balanced for ordinary play without recourse to the real money AH. However, this seems extremely difficult to assess - the atmosphere of distrust and suspicion arising out of the very existence of the RMAH makes an unhelpful environment for objective analysis. If the game just needs patching then so be it but one would need to question the quality of the product testing at that point - which seemed fairly intense and thorough.

Is it possible that the general misgivings that games players have about big publishing houses is obscuring our vision of what is really happening or are Blizzard trying to rival EA in poor communication and making important design decisions without properly consulting players?
Closed Thread

Tags
auction house, design, diablo, diablo 3, game design, itemization, items, monetization