Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Initiate

Default Diablo 3 Design Flaws - Don't Repeat in Grim Dawn!!

Gold Auction House -

The Auction House in Diablo 3 has all but ruined the game for me. I choose not to use it because I personally don't think a character is legit unless the items he or she is wearing is farmed by that person. But what Blizzard has done is drastically lowered the drop rates of nice items in order to slow the progression of people down. Basically they assume that everyone will use the AH and they have adjusted game balance because of that. So people like me get the short end of the stick when the true enjoyment I get out of these games is finding my own unique powerful items, and farming them. In Diablo 3, while this is still possible, is extremely hard because of the Auction House.

Real Money Auction House -

Everything I wrote above applies to this as well. In addition - the RMAH basically says this: Character Power = Real Life Salary. Wtf? Since when should elements like how much money I make affect how powerful my in game character is? I play RPGs to immerse myself and get away from real life. A character's power should represent events, accomplishments, and time spent *IN GAME*.

Items -

The itemization in Diablo 3 is horrid. As a Demon Hunter in Inferno difficulty, I only care about one thing.. Maximizing my DPS. All other stats are worthless, as I get killed in 1 hit anyways. As far as action RPG's go, Diablo 2 I still think has had the BEST itemization ever. Unique items were actually *Unique* and could be used to customize characters in very cool ways. I honestly hope Grim Dawn take a page from Diablo II's book as far as this topic is concerned.

Anyways, these have been my main complaints about Diablo 3 since I started playing. And fortunately for Crate, it has only made me more excited for Grim Dawn.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Campaigner

When I first heard that Blizzard is deliberately limiting item drops in order to encourage players to pay for better gear in the Auction House, I could not get over how greedy they have become. How far they have fallen from the days of Blizzard North. But in a way it's good though; the more players they alienate in this way, the more will gravitate towards the products of reputable and honest game developers, like Crate, Runic etc.
That being said, I don't think you'll have to worry about any such nefarious schemes being hatched by the Crate devs. There is no such thing as an auction house in GD, nor is there an online-only feature. And not likely there ever will be such things..
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Counsel

Yeah.... pretty much a tactic of pure greed I expect to find in a shitty pay to win "free" to play mmo.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Speaker

I bought D3 like 2 days ago, but that's only because everyone of my friends + every single person on my mumble server are playing it, it's about 30~ people.

It became annoying to sit and listen to Diablo 3 talk in all of the chatrooms, forever, so i took the defeat and got the game for myself.

I agree to everything that OP listed, and it's very noticeable...
I'm not against low drop chance on good items i'm actually for it and pleased with how it is in Diablo 3 but just to know there is an auction house 1 mouseclick away completley ruins the feeling or necessary to farm for items, you're better of farming only gold.

There is this long list with things i do not really like about Diablo3, wich i already knew about before, but i can still enjoy it for what it is, atleast it's fun to hack&slash your way trough the levels and hopefully waste enough time untill GD comes out.

Allso DRM
Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Acolyte

Ok, with all the Diablo 3 hating here, I just want to say a few things in Blizzard's defense. All these gripes you are complaining about are the logical extension of efforts to manage and balance gameplay and game economy on a global scale. Like it or not, Diablo 3 is not a single player game, it's an instanced story driven Action MMO. It's halfway between Diablo 2 and WOW. Ok, that's a little bit of hyperbole, but the economy was a huge part of play in Diablo 2 on battle.net, and it's a part of the game that Blizzard really didn't plan for. They are planning for it this time. In doing so they darn near killed the singleplayer experience, but they are banking on the multiplayer aspect being the real core of the game. This sucks for you, but this is also why games like Grim Dawn and Torchlight can exist in the same space.

All hat being said, Diablo 3 is fun, but it doesn't seem to have the longevity of Diablo 2. And as good as the game is, and pretty as the graphics are, I really wish I could see what Blizzard North would've done with the game. I kinda think I would have liked it even better.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadren View Post
Ok, with all the Diablo 3 hating here, I just want to say a few things in Blizzard's defense. All these gripes you are complaining about are the logical extension of efforts to manage and balance gameplay and game economy on a global scale. Like it or not, Diablo 3 is not a single player game, it's an instanced story driven Action MMO. It's halfway between Diablo 2 and WOW. Ok, that's a little bit of hyperbole, but the economy was a huge part of play in Diablo 2 on battle.net, and it's a part of the game that Blizzard really didn't plan for. They are planning for it this time. In doing so they darn near killed the singleplayer experience, but they are banking on the multiplayer aspect being the real core of the game. This sucks for you, but this is also why games like Grim Dawn and Torchlight can exist in the same space.

All hat being said, Diablo 3 is fun, but it doesn't seem to have the longevity of Diablo 2. And as good as the game is, and pretty as the graphics are, I really wish I could see what Blizzard North would've done with the game. I kinda think I would have liked it even better.

A game is singleplayer if it is possible to play by yourself. Saying that diablo 3 has no single player would be the same as saying Assassin's Creed 2 was not single player because it had an always online DRM method aswell.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Acolyte

Default Diablo 3 destroyed my trust in Blizzard

I shouldn't have bought Diablo 3. It is a nice game but it is generally unplayable because of their server issues. I will never buy any product from Blizzard ever again.

I hope Grim Dawn is not an online game.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm1974 View Post
I shouldn't have bought Diablo 3. It is a nice game but it is generally unplayable because of their server issues. I will never buy any product from Blizzard ever again.

I hope Grim Dawn is not an online game.
really, the only redeeming franchise Blizzard has is Starcraft, which I love. IMO the only reason SCII came out the way it did is because of the pro scene, without it I can see SCII being dumbed down to despicable levels of easiness.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadren View Post

The hate they got is earned. They took one of the best games in existence and turned it into just another pos and in the process have turned fan after fan away.

They didn't plan for the economy they planned it. In the same way crappy f2p wow clones plan for it d3 has balanced its game around the cash shop.[ yes yes there is a in game currency auction house but you get my point]

What happens when d4 comes out? Or when auction house sales stop covering the server cost and the game is just a cash drain?

They got greedy attempted to put effectively a f2p model into what should be a offline driven game and have hurt only one thing. Their consumer base.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkamus View Post
Gold Auction House -

Real Money Auction House -

Items -
Those points are obviously linked, and a very clear example of business decision affecting game design. I'm quite confident that there will be no such "business decision" with Crate

Additionally, there seems to be some questionable choices in pure gameplay design with Diablo III. I'm thinking about hit lag here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SoWRWSDKx8) : basically in DIII, when a melee attack animation is triggered, it will always connect and you can't manually dodge it. You could in TQ, and I certainly hope that it will still be possible in GD.
Closed Thread

Tags
auction house, design, diablo, diablo 3, game design, itemization, items, monetization