Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
It's a good thing you never got hooked on it mate.
I started with WoW because some of my friends played it. Before WoW, I truly believed you had to be a fool/moron to pay monthly fees for playing a game.
But my friends kept talking me into it. And eventually I did pay for 1 month subscription.

After about 18 days or so I quit the game. It just didn't appeal to me. I pretty much played alone every time (my friends being level 60 & raiding while I had to level all the way from level 1). It felt like a waaaay too big single-player RPG to me & I had to pay a monthly fee for it.
Two more months passed. At that time a major patch was released & my friends started pushing me again to play the game. I said I didn't like it & wouldn't spend another dime on it.
Eventually one of my friends paid another month subscription for me.

The first 2 days felt the same again & I was like: "I'm gonna quit. What in the name of God do people like about this sh*tgame?" But then I learned to know some people to level with etc
I really got hooked by the social aspect of the game, the challenging boss battles, lore & item rush.
At the end of that month I just couldn't resist paying for another month & so on.
Before I knew it I was doing instances & quests with these folks, growing eventually into a hardcore end-raiding guild.

During The Burning Crusade my studies & social life really suffered.
I lost some friends & got some bad-semi grades.
I kept telling myself the monthly fee wasn't such a big deal. Because before I played WoW, I bought a new game every 1-2 months, which was even more expensive. While the years that I played WoW, i didn't play a single other game.

I quit late 2009 (somewhere halfway through Wrath of The Lich King expansion)
Looking back on it, I'm REALLY glad I quit WoW. In hindsight, it wasn't worth wasting 2 college years to it. (It did turn out alright though. I didn't lose a year and got in contact with my old friends again)

But what I want to say with all of this, is that WoW had to be an exceptionally good game to get me hooked/addicted.
Sure, everyone is entitled to say that WoW sucks. But although I nowadays wish I had never set foot in Azeroth (nor will I ever again), I think these people don't know what they are talking about. In my opinion WoW is possibly the best game ever created.
The downside is that I can't help but compare (nearly) every game to it. Which isn't fair and results in being disappointed in games I'd normally love.

This post is getting way longer than I anticipated, so long story short:
Would I ever recommend WoW to someone? - No. Don't touch it. It's not worth it & WAY too time consuming.
Do I think WoW is a great game? - Absolutely. They did so many things right, it's almost frightening.

*Let the bashing begin. *
Wow, quite a story, Shrimp! Indeed, WoW did alot of things right, and it was the social aspect, like you said, that got me hooked in. Eventually, having settled on a human male paladin, I was up to a part that hardly anyone does solo - Hogger.
I went into the nearest town - can't remember the name, but the closest human town to the starting zone - and yelled into the public chat bar "NEED HELP W/ HOGGER!" or something along those lines and eventually found a rather nice group of other players similar level (10-ish), and one higher level (20's).
We killed Hogger together and I out of the whole group got the loot as it was I who landed the final blow.
We all went our separate ways peacefully, except for one guy complaining I didn't heal enough, but that was only because he thought, as a paladin, I was the healer, when actually I was the high damage-dealer in the group.
Several days later, while resting in the town where I first met the group, I saw the higher-level guy (a night elf) staggering around drunk. I engaged him in conversation; we both remembered each other.
Eventually, he invited me to run the first Alliance (my faction) dungeon, the Deadmines, with him and a group of his friends (whom I hadn't met, but they were willing to take me on as a healer).
Unfortunately, my free trial of 20 days ran out ust as we were reaching the instance. I never saw that group again, and even if I had, by the time I started playing WoW again (a few months later, but that didn't last long) they would have vastly outleveled me.
Those would have to be my happiest and saddest memories of WoW, and yes, it is a brilliant game, but I'm lucky in a way that I did get off it and I still had fun!
Pretty much your last paragraph shrimp, is exactly what I believe. Good game, did many things right, but it can get you addicted in a bad way.
Well, this was fun writing, as while typing I relieved my memories of WoW (the ones I just described)!
Cheers,
Younghappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Younghappy is back - everything will be good now
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Supporter

I talk about that stuff with my mate at work. He plays WoW and we always talk about what's going on and how it works and stuff and I have always told him I will never try and play it again (like really get into it) because I know I will just sit there and play it 2 months straight. Lose my job, my wife, my kid, my car... Everything. I have a very addictive personality and the game is just too big.

So I always compare it as one of the best games ever made. If not simply for the fact that millions of people pay EVERY MONTH to play a game and for years on end... It must be a freaking uber huge awesome game.

I just don't have the time to play it. I love video games, wish I did have more time lol)

'Loyalty' Supporter
Love your work
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
Wow, quite a story, Shrimp! Indeed, WoW did alot of things right, and it was the social aspect, like you said, that got me hooked in. Eventually, having settled on a human male paladin, I was up to a part that hardly anyone does solo - Hogger.
I went into the nearest town - can't remember the name, but the closest human town to the starting zone - and yelled into the public chat bar "NEED HELP W/ HOGGER!" or something along those lines and eventually found a rather nice group of other players similar level (10-ish), and one higher level (20's).
We killed Hogger together and I out of the whole group got the loot as it was I who landed the final blow.
We all went our separate ways peacefully, except for one guy complaining I didn't heal enough, but that was only because he thought, as a paladin, I was the healer, when actually I was the high damage-dealer in the group.
Several days later, while resting in the town where I first met the group, I saw the higher-level guy (a night elf) staggering around drunk. I engaged him in conversation; we both remembered each other.
Eventually, he invited me to run the first Alliance (my faction) dungeon, the Deadmines, with him and a group of his friends (whom I hadn't met, but they were willing to take me on as a healer).
Unfortunately, my free trial of 20 days ran out ust as we were reaching the instance. I never saw that group again, and even if I had, by the time I started playing WoW again (a few months later, but that didn't last long) they would have vastly outleveled me.
Those would have to be my happiest and saddest memories of WoW, and yes, it is a brilliant game, but I'm lucky in a way that I did get off it and I still had fun!
Pretty much your last paragraph shrimp, is exactly what I believe. Good game, did many things right, but it can get you addicted in a bad way.
Well, this was fun writing, as while typing I relieved my memories of WoW (the ones I just described)!
Cheers,
Younghappy
We're going terribly off-topic here.

Haha, omg Hogger. Where's the time. Spawn point north-east of goldshire, close to the border of elwynn forest & westfall. Little bit west from a human watchtower & north-west of a human barracks/outpost where you can get the quest from a wanted poster. The game has brainwashed me
He was a pain to solo, but it was achievable. As a hunter it was easycakez, as a pure melee much harder.

Like we both said above, the social aspect of the game is so strong. Especially if you've spent some years within a guild of cool people, learning to know eachother & doing together what we all liked so much ... gaming. It was the thing I missed most after quitting WoW. And because of it the social part of gaming has become so much more important for me in any game.

I always like to seek contact with people, be it inside or outside gaming. Playing games simply for the game itself is something I can't seem to appreciate (as much) anymore.

Steam: fuzztron
Battle.net: Fussel#2472

Currently playing: PoE
Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth - Wolfenstein: the New Colossus - Dragonquest XI
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Supporter

So anyway, unusual type weapons/gear for specific classes/builds sounds great. lol

If it doesn't stray from the main goal of making everything else awesome first.

'Loyalty' Supporter
Love your work
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofo View Post
I talk about that stuff with my mate at work. He plays WoW and we always talk about what's going on and how it works and stuff and I have always told him I will never try and play it again (like really get into it) because I know I will just sit there and play it 2 months straight. Lose my job, my wife, my kid, my car... Everything. I have a very addictive personality and the game is just too big.

So I always compare it as one of the best games ever made. If not simply for the fact that millions of people pay EVERY MONTH to play a game and for years on end... It must be a freaking uber huge awesome game.

I just don't have the time to play it. I love video games, wish I did have more time lol)
1. Like with every "addiction", you can't simply blame the product for causing the effect. That would be way too easy to externalize the problem.
"I smoke because cigarettes are way too addicting."
"I play WoW because the game is too good."

I can grow so mad when I see yet another documentary putting games in negative spotlight because they would evoke aggression or addiction.
I'd say addiction only/primarily affects people who are susceptible to it. Which can have many causes, but often find their root in social problems. (stress caused by work, studies, relation, ...)
I think I'm also pretty susceptible to the awesomeness of games. It's something I've always loved, much to the disliking of my parents.
As much as people claim movies or photography are art, I believe games can be as well. And although it may sound weird & I can't foresee the future, I think gaming is something I'll always keep in touch with for the rest of my life.

*On a sidenote/even more offtopic: What baffles me, is that after all these years, gaming still isn't recognized by society as a(n equally) valid form of entertainment. I know numbers say otherwise and things have become better since a decade ago, but at least where I live (maybe it's different in Australia or the USA) I can't state freely I like gaming without getting the weird eye from one dude or another.
You can't go to a job interview and answer "gaming" when they ask you for your hobbies.
It's socially more acceptable to get drunk every night and fall asleep in your vommit (Since Im' from the land of beer, this is kind of fun) than it is to play games with some of your friends and relax.

2. Hehe yeah it's sad. The older you grow, the less time for games you have. At least, that's how I feel. Now that my college years are over, I know I'll never be able to play time-consuming games like WoW again. Unless I'd be fine with playing casual/lower-end content, I won't be able to combine it with work, friends, sports, etc. The problem is that a game like wow always offers something to do, always pushes you to become better and (imo) most of the fun lies in raiding.

Now:
- sorry for the long post
- sorry for going even more off topic
- back to this fantastic game called Grim Dawn !!!

Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth - Wolfenstein: the New Colossus - Dragonquest XI

Last edited by Shrimp; 03-10-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Advocate

Quote:
So anyway, unusual type weapons/gear for specific classes/builds sounds great. lol

If it doesn't stray from the main goal of making everything else awesome first.
^ This !!! Forget all the above.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Supporter

Maybe some heavy chest armour not usually made for a Mage or something that gives a big boost to the Arcanist mastery?

'Loyalty' Supporter
Love your work
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Maybe some heavy chest armour not usually made for a Mage or something that gives a big boost to the Arcanist mastery?
I personally don't like the looks of it, but mage's tier 8 in WoW looked a bit "heavy armor" like: http://www.isheepthings.com/blog/wp-...tier8_male.jpg

Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Supporter

It was no reference to anything just the idea of it.

'Loyalty' Supporter
Love your work
Closed Thread

Tags
affixes, builds, ideas, itemization, items, uniques