Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Guides and Tutorials

Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Praetorian

Glad as hell you have found them

As to how on earth they have ended up there... wonders of bloody modern technology

Last edited by Jaknet; 05-23-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Initiate

My HD recently crashed, so I needed to get a new one / fresh install. If I'm understanding this thread correctly then my 641 hours of characters and loot are gone?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseus Crust View Post
My HD recently crashed, so I needed to get a new one / fresh install. If I'm understanding this thread correctly then my 641 hours of characters and loot are gone?
hard to say, as you provide no information.

I assume you used local saves and made no backups, at which point this depends on whether you can still read from your HD. A crash does not necessarily mean that all data on it is lost.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
hard to say, as you provide no information.

I assume you used local saves and made no backups, at which point this depends on whether you can still read from your HD. A crash does not necessarily mean that all data on it is lost.
I am not certain. I have been playing GD since Beta on Steam.
Edit (That is to say I did not change the saving options or do any backing up period. Whatever it was before it was a real game is what I had)
The HD and all the information is sadly a write off.

The Cloud save referred to here is still technically local, isn't it?

Last edited by Cheeseus Crust; 06-13-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
The Cloud save referred to here is still technically local, isn't it?
yes, the dir referred to here is local, but the same data also resides in the Steam cloud.

Basically the OP tells you how to move data to the local side of the cloud and that then gets replicated to the actual cloud from there. The Steam cloud and that dir should generally be in sync.

That also means your data should still reside in the cloud and get downloaded from there back on to your PC if you used cloud save.

Whether you did is a difficult question, the default setting changed at some point in time and is now the cloud I believe, so you might be lucky. Only one way to find out, get the new HD, install Steam and GD and hope for the best...
Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Only one way to find out, get the new HD, install Steam and GD and hope for the best...

I have completed those steps. Initial loading of the game has no characters.

Going to the options tab, and choosing networks I have chosen "import data from cloud" and it seems to have done nothing.

At this point I will assume my too many hours are gone, but should I restart at this point it will start saving on the actual cloud?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
At this point I will assume my too many hours are gone, but should I restart at this point it will start saving on the actual cloud?
By default, yes. Or you can set it to save locally and make backups yourself if you don't trust Steam Cloud not to eat your saves, which does seem to happen to some people in a variety of games, likely due to network hiccups imo.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
By default, yes. Or you can set it to save locally and make backups yourself if you don't trust Steam Cloud not to eat your saves, which does seem to happen to some people in a variety of games, likely due to network hiccups imo.
This. I don´t understand how people who invest hundreds or thousands of hours in the game don´t backup manually. Why not take a few minutes now and then and make a manual backup, zip it and send it to your email account?

Be more paranoid, please.

Tags
guides, save games