Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Emissary

Default Few General Questions

These may or may not have been addressed already and I just missed it...

1. How long will the game take to play through. It is 15, 25, 100 hours to play through the main storyline?

2. How many difficulty settings will there be?

3. Will there be any stat counters like Torchlight has with the "journal" you can look at? Speaking of this, I'd like to see more done with this. I'd like to see more info on how many individual monsters you killed of each type rather than just a total as TQ had. More info the better!

4. Will there be the ragdoll action like in TQ? I loved smashing stuff high into the air.

Uh I think thats all for now.

Last edited by Chameleon; 01-18-2010 at 03:09 PM.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2  
Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
1. How long will the game take to play through. It is 15, 25, 100 hours to play through the main storyline?
It is always tough to give an estimate since people progress at vastly different rates. When testing TQ I expected the region from start to Sparta to take 15-30mins. We observed some of our walk-in testers taking well over an hour.

We're also going for a little bit of a different approach from TQ where you're more in control of how long it takes to complete the game. Your path through the game will be paced out a little more by difficulty than simply how fast you can run from point A to point B. Each area will be more hub and spoke with various sidequests branching off from each town. If you wanted and were a skilled enough player, you could skip many of these sidequests and try to push ahead faster.

We've listened to the numerous complaints we've heard from people saying it just took way to long to get through normal difficulty. We feel like the best solution is to make the game more flexible in terms of how people progress. So, we expect that most people will be able to finish normal difficult in under 10hrs if they're really focused on getting through it. However, we're also planning to add a lot more side-content and high-end challenges apart from the main story so that if people want to keep developing their characters and exploring the world, there will be many additional hours of gameplay. Beyond that, you can expect epic and legendary to provide a lot more challenge. I'm not answerable to any higher powers at the moment and so, the gloves have come off. ; p

Quote:
2. How many difficulty settings will there be?
At least three difficulty modes but we may also allow people to configure a difficulty setting when they start the game so that normal mode isn't overwhelmingly easy or difficulty for players of different ability.

Quote:
3. Will there be any stat counters like Torchlight has with the "journal" you can look at? Speaking of this, I'd like to see more done with this. I'd like to see more info on how many individual monsters you killed of each type rather than just a total as TQ had. More info the better!
That is a good idea, although I'm not sure it is something we'll be able to fit into the initial release.

Quote:
4. Will there be the ragdoll action like in TQ? I loved smashing stuff high into the air.
No, it will be better.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
It is always tough to give an estimate since people progress at vastly different rates. When testing TQ I expected the region from start to Sparta to take 15-30mins. We observed some of our walk-in testers taking well over an hour.

We're also going for a little bit of a different approach from TQ where you're more in control of how long it takes to complete the game. Your path through the game will be paced out a little more by difficulty than simply how fast you can run from point A to point B. Each area will be more hub and spoke with various sidequests branching off from each town. If you wanted and were a skilled enough player, you could skip many of these sidequests and try to push ahead faster.

We've listened to the numerous complaints we've heard from people saying it just took way to long to get through normal difficulty. We feel like the best solution is to make the game more flexible in terms of how people progress. So, we expect that most people will be able to finish normal difficult in under 10hrs if they're really focused on getting through it. However, we're also planning to add a lot more side-content and high-end challenges apart from the main story so that if people want to keep developing their characters and exploring the world, there will be many additional hours of gameplay. Beyond that, you can expect epic and legendary to provide a lot more challenge. I'm not answerable to any higher powers at the moment and so, the gloves have come off. ; p

At least three difficulty modes but we may also allow people to configure a difficulty setting when they start the game so that normal mode isn't overwhelmingly easy or difficulty for players of different ability.

That is a good idea, although I'm not sure it is something we'll be able to fit into the initial release.

No, it will be better.
This is great news. I think the game scaling with difficulty as you progress is a good idea. Of course Titan Quest was this way to an extent, but I'm sure Grim Dawn will be even more so. I also loved the Rag Doll affect in Titan Quest. The emulated physics interaction with the environment was very entertaining.

I think it was a smart move for you guys to utilize the TQ engine.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Initiate

Very excited about this game. Just a few questions I have been pondering about.

1. Will this game have a classic sword & sorcery setting or steampunk (both character images seems to involve guns and ammo belts)?

2. Have you considered offline co-op?

Keep up the good work...
Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Counsel

LAN co-op support would be awesome, i'm hoping to get my wifey hooked on this one too.
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6  
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancticus View Post
1. Will this game have a classic sword & sorcery setting or steampunk (both character images seems to involve guns and ammo belts)?
I'd describe it as sword & sorcery, just in a slightly later time period than is typical.

Quote:
2. Have you considered offline co-op?
Unless something changes we'll have it
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post

This question is kinda related...I see in GD you have scope to increase the max level to 200, how long will it take to level in GD?

I never got a char to lv 70 in TQ, it seemed to take way to long the higher one got.
Closed Thread

Tags
campaign, difficulty, setting