Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

I think our story is at least a slight twist on the standard cliche RPG plotlines but, of course, there will be plenty of similarities since certain plot devices just work really well to drive stories of character advancement, loot collection, and wanton killing. Many of these cliches stretch back hundreds of years to ancient story-telling. There is a reason why these cliches prevail and efforts at novelty often fail. I believe they exist because they appeal to fundamental drives in all of us. Until human beings change fundamentally, I think the same types of cliche stories will always appeal to people. I think it is great when you can put a new twist on them but I'd be worried for anyone messing too much with the age-old formulas.

That said, I believe the devil is in the details. A lot of the best stories, movies, and games are, when boiled down, completely built off different cliche plot-lines but they have unique and interesting details that make them see new and exciting. Stories that deviate too much from the archetypes often end up feeling fulfilling.

So, I wouldn't bust on people too much for being cliche, I'd bust on them for not dressing up that cliche into something interesting and fresh feeling.
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
I wonder more how this story will be implemented.
Through texts outside the game (either in a manual or on this site)? In-game encyclopedia? NPC's? In-game documents? A storyboard with concept art?
We're actually looking to convey a lot of details about events that lead up to the current conditions of the world in scraps of writing that you can find. One of the main sources of information that we have planned right now are pages from the "Journal of Constable Creed." Creed is a guy who worked as an imperial intelligence agent but ended up catching on to things he wasn't supposed to know. He quickly finds himself transferred out of the capital city with a non-negotiable "promotion" to constable of a quiet backwater town. While there, Creed starts to take notice of various "strange happenings" that are sort of precursors to the cataclysmic event which brings the world to its current state of being and clues to the insidious plot that brought it all about.

Your task in Grim Dawn is not to save the world though. There are powers in the world of Cairn far greater than any one hero and world can never be fully restored to the way it once was. Grim Dawn is about survival and adaptation to the grim new reality. Individual survival and the collective survival of what remains of humanity. Basically, we want to create a world where there is always something larger to take on and where you never quite feel invincible.

We're not even really that focused on a main story arc. We just want to create a frightening and mysterious world with a deep sense of history that is fun to quest in.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Praetorian

Survival and questing. Sounds like mmorpg

Story implementation using pages/book scattered through the world is rather interesting to me. Like how Shadowground is. And various kind of book can lead to richer world/lore, like how lore section in Dungeon Siege 2 and World of Warcraft. Anything is fine as long as it is interesting to follow.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Speaker

I'm curious as to the end game story. Being we are gonna be fed (hopefully) expansions via DLC, will the main campaign be a total cliffhanger?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I think our story is at least a slight twist on the standard cliche RPG plotlines but, of course, there will be plenty of similarities since certain plot devices just work really well to drive stories of character advancement, loot collection, and wanton killing. Many of these cliches stretch back hundreds of years to ancient story-telling. There is a reason why these cliches prevail and efforts at novelty often fail. I believe they exist because they appeal to fundamental drives in all of us. Until human beings change fundamentally, I think the same types of cliche stories will always appeal to people. I think it is great when you can put a new twist on them but I'd be worried for anyone messing too much with the age-old formulas.
Yep, the famous myth researcher Joseph Campbell described in his book "the hero with the 1000 faces" exactly the mechanisms behind all great stories. There are character archetypes in history of mankind, that return again and again over thousands of years in myths and legends from all nations. Even George Lucas used for his Star Wars epos basic structures, plots and character descriptions from Joseph Campbell.
You can find an interesting interview about this topic at:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...348445sRzEyGZM
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Counsel

Quote:
I truly think Medierra is evil.

I don't know what it is, but you have a very, very charming way of speaking (err, posting text on forums). I've been reading through threads and I really want to make posts, but you pretty much hit a home run every time you make a post. Therefore I feel no need to make posts.

Its like, almost calming. You sound so smart. I think I'm in-love.

*I in know way shall be accountable for this emoticon GIF as these forums do not have an adequate amount; i.e., love emoticons*
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Lord Advocate

Now that's just plain scary
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Counsel

Which part?
Closed Thread

Tags
story