Old 11-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Advocate

Arrow Showcasing Build Guides for Modded Builds

I am gathering the images to put together my Grimarillion build compendium, and since I'm going to showcase around 20 builds, I wanted to ask fellow mod players what would be an easy and effective way to show off an effective build. As there will be others besides me who would like to showcase their builds, it would be nice to have an agreed-upon format where we can show people what makes a build effective vs too squishy or low damage, capability against Nemeses (especially AoM Nemeses), and show off effective and potentially OP skills.

Unfortunately, Grimtools does not cover mods, so there is no easy way to showcase a build. I can use Grimtools for my devotion lay-out, but that only saves one image out of the multiple images I would have to share to ensure I am not leaving something out. Some build guides go crazy with images, others show lots of text with multiple posts dedicated to build philosophy. I personally prefer demonstrating how the pieces fit together and leave enough to the imagination so that the player can add personal touches and twists.

Here are what I feel are the important aspects to a build and whether or not they are worthy of images:

Main page: Health, Energy, OA, DA, and Resists (one image - mandatory)
Equipment (text - mandatory)
Skill Point Allocation (two images - mandatory)
Devotions - Use Grimtools in place of images, use text to demonstrate proc bindings mandatory
DPS counter for main skill (damage per hit and damage breakdown by type), or pets page for pet builds (one image - mandatory)
Sources of RR - Easy to do with text - mandatory
% Damage, Attack Speed, Cast Speed, CDR - not entirely sure if it's worth an image or whether it's worth saving images and just use text for this.
Secondary Resistances - probably easier to have a few lines than use more image space

So far I count 4 images and text to explain the finer details of a build. Is there anything else I am missing?
NOTE: All builds that I post are directly created with GDStash (all valid prefix/suffix combos) for the purpose of testing and demonstrating what is possible. I used to have a legit character used for trading before the expansion, but I have not used him since AoM was released.

Open to any PMs from those interested in playing pet builds.

Currently playing: Grimarillion (first legit, then TAS)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowerofmediocrity View Post

So far I count 4 images and text to explain the finer details of a build. Is there anything else I am missing?
Great initiative!! I'll start my mod game career by reading TPOM's posts and stand on his shoulders!!

Well,don't forget to add a kickass build cover image as an avatar for us mortals to
worship!!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Counsel

Sounds like a good idea. Could REALLY use some ideas of viable builds. Just started the mod and there are far too many possible combos. Starting out with a Terror Knight and not sure where to go from there. Also, the mod really goes for the jugular right out of the gate huh?
Old 11-22-2018, 01:27 AM
Advocate

Thinking about it further - if your build is about making a particular skill as powerful as possible, definitely make sure to take an image of it and show off how devastating the skill can get. The multitude of conversion options plus TQ's and Zenith's generous skill point giveaways and a skill can reach a horrifying power level with the right planning.

@Goober: Are you still trying the Earth + Nature pet build or did you give that up in favor of the Terror Knight? I didn't make a pet build for that, but it does have one of the few abilities in the game that gives Pierce Resistance in the form of an aura (so pets can get it as well), along with +1 to all skills and a very good flat RR ability. It can make for a very good support class while another class has the heavy lifting.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:00 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowerofmediocrity View Post
Thinking about it further - if your build is about making a particular skill as powerful as possible, definitely make sure to take an image of it and show off how devastating the skill can get. The multitude of conversion options plus TQ's and Zenith's generous skill point giveaways and a skill can reach a horrifying power level with the right planning.

@Goober: Are you still trying the Earth + Nature pet build or did you give that up in favor of the Terror Knight? I didn't make a pet build for that, but it does have one of the few abilities in the game that gives Pierce Resistance in the form of an aura (so pets can get it as well), along with +1 to all skills and a very good flat RR ability. It can make for a very good support class while another class has the heavy lifting.
I ended up going with Earth/Occultist (Firelord). Once I managed to hit lvl5 and start putting points into Core Dweller, things started going a lot smoother. Currently lvl49 in Acts 2 Veteran and Core Dweller is a monster of a tank unless it's certain types of damage (it'll still live long enough to recast a new one once it dies).

Tags
build compendium, mods, submission