Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Herald

Default [Feedback] Conduit's Drain Essence modifier

I was theorycrafting a Drain Essence build, and chose to pick cold damage for it. I found some cool amulets, didn't find a set and then saw 18% WD to DE. And here begins my issue.

Drain Essence can be effectively built for Vitality, Aether and Cold damage (correct me if I missed a damage type) and all of these types already have an amulet for them. If you want to go aether, you choose Uroboruuk's set, so you have an important amulet, if you go cold, you have Deathbound Amethyst and if you want vitality, you have Vigar's Hunger. All of these have something important, Uroboruuk has 66% conversion to aether, Deathbound Amethyst has cold damage and conversion to cold, Vigar's Hunger has vitality damage and life leech. The 18% WD is not worth picking on the two first mentioned, because they have something your build really needs, vitality hasn't got anything that would be game changing if we manage to convert aether to vitality, we have only two items which would convert at max 60% of the aether damage to vitality, so, give or take, it's not that huge of a buff. 66 aether damage at 16/16, 196 at 26/16, so over all at max 39,6 or 117,6 bonus vitality damage. We're better off of taking Dread Knight's Guard, Vigar's Hunger, Abyssal Mask and Riftwalked Grasp to maximize our damage. At this point, the conduit modifier is useless if we don't have much flat vitality damage from set/devotions (devotions by itself grant 138 flat Vitality Decay over 3 secs and 24 - 31 flat vitality damage). As far as I remember, there's no caster set that gives flat vitality, correct me if I'm wrong, so I'd recommend to change that modifier to some kind of conversion or other sexiness and move its current modifier to something else, like a medal or other item that doesn't already buff DE. There's also one book (off-hand) that converts up to 60% vitality to elemental, but even in this case, Deathbound Amethyst.

I really like this modifier, but it's impossible to fit it anywhere as for now. I would really love to know what you, guys, think.

Imagine imagined imagination while imagining imagined imagination by imagining imagined imagination. Imagining such imagined imagination imagines imagination of imagined imagination to imagine imagination that you think you just imagined.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by USER_NAME_01 View Post
I was theorycrafting a Drain Essence build, and chose to pick cold damage for it. I found some cool amulets, didn't find a set and then saw 18% WD to DE. And here begins my issue.

Drain Essence can be effectively built for Vitality, Aether and Cold damage (correct me if I missed a damage type) and all of these types already have an amulet for them. If you want to go aether, you choose Uroboruuk's set, so you have an important amulet, if you go cold, you have Deathbound Amethyst and if you want vitality, you have Vigar's Hunger. All of these have something important, Uroboruuk has 66% conversion to aether, Deathbound Amethyst has cold damage and conversion to cold, Vigar's Hunger has vitality damage and life leech. The 18% WD is not worth picking on the two first mentioned, because they have something your build really needs, vitality hasn't got anything that would be game changing if we manage to convert aether to vitality, we have only two items which would convert at max 60% of the aether damage to vitality, so, give or take, it's not that huge of a buff. 66 aether damage at 16/16, 196 at 26/16, so over all at max 39,6 or 117,6 bonus vitality damage. We're better off of taking Dread Knight's Guard, Vigar's Hunger, Abyssal Mask and Riftwalked Grasp to maximize our damage. At this point, the conduit modifier is useless if we don't have much flat vitality damage from set/devotions (devotions by itself grant 138 flat Vitality Decay over 3 secs and 24 - 31 flat vitality damage). As far as I remember, there's no caster set that gives flat vitality, correct me if I'm wrong, so I'd recommend to change that modifier to some kind of conversion or other sexiness and move its current modifier to something else, like a medal or other item that doesn't already buff DE. There's also one book (off-hand) that converts up to 60% vitality to elemental, but even in this case, Deathbound Amethyst.

I really like this modifier, but it's impossible to fit it anywhere as for now. I would really love to know what you, guys, think.
first of all, you are kinda wrong about your assumption about vigars amulet even if you go cold DE vigar beats deathbound amulet sad news right

cause by going cold DE you lose valuable amount of leech which is pretty much backbone of the build. and vigar offers hungering reach which you need at to reach max 5 target effect is pretty much MUST..

best setup i tried was going vigars amulet, using ulzaad channeller scepter for vit to cold convertion, and speark for the dead offhand.

yet again, problems are not solved here.. there is ZERO itemization for cold DE, you end up using trash unqs to get high pts to DE and most importantly hungering reach.. i ended up with %2200 cold dmg over 100 RR around 185 cast speed and build wasnt feeling slightly strong.. tho dont get foold by aether or vit version of DE, this spell never deals GG dmg to bosses.. all trick comes from continous procs like aetherfire, flametorrent, tsunami binded to DE that makes build good. and to be more honest, any version of DE build is not top tier build cause stand still and channel will always feel clunky in 2018 arpgs.. not even wanna talk how garbage is AAR in this perspective, and you have to put gun in my head to make me play FoI builds.. DE still best of all 3 cause of autotargetting 5 targets and leech options.

about conduit mof of DE, you are totally right.. it makes little sense in all 3 type of DE builds unless you go clunky 2hand wep and it will still be meh imo.
so any cool changes will be more efficient than its current mod.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 AM
Herald

I mean, it's easy to cap Hungering reach (or not easy, depends on your build I should say). I think DE is overall the weakest channeling spell in the game. AAR can pull off a very good amount of damage if you build correctly. In my opinion, Vigar's amulet is not that super extra hyper superior (for cold or aether damage). I rather deal more damage to one target, because I can then swap to another one, than focus on having way less damage and have a chance to affect additional targets.

Imagine imagined imagination while imagining imagined imagination by imagining imagined imagination. Imagining such imagined imagination imagines imagination of imagined imagination to imagine imagination that you think you just imagined.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Champion

Quote:
I mean, it's easy to cap Hungering reach (or not easy, depends on your build I should say). I think DE is overall the weakest channeling spell in the game. AAR can pull off a very good amount of damage if you build correctly. In my opinion, Vigar's amulet is not that super extra hyper superior (for cold or aether damage). I rather deal more damage to one target, because I can then swap to another one, than focus on having way less damage and have a chance to affect additional targets.
Was just talking to fluff about this. What I’ve tried doing is go:
1. Abyssal mask
2. Riftwarpped gloves
3. Skull of gulblahblah
4. Vigar’s hunger
5. Morguuls mortality
6. Uroboruuk’s shoulder and chest

I then invested one point into DE, took the gravechill modifier for the damage amplification, and maxed out hungering reach and decomposition.

I hit about 120k sheet DPS, but still - it’s very crappy.

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho
Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Supporter

Quote:
vitality hasn't got anything that would be game changing if we manage to convert aether to vitality, we have only two items which would convert at max 60% of the aether damage to vitality, so, give or take, it's not that huge of a buff.
I think for vitality the full epic Dreadwalker set https://www.grimtools.com/db/itemsets/132 is the best way for it. The full set bonus has another 50% aether to vitality. But it isnt only for DE, its for all skills and procs.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Champion

Yeah. But the set focuses on necromancery (I.e. +2 skills) - and that more or less restricts it to drain essence. Using the fullset also limits you from using 2 fantastic items needed for vit DE.

Also, I personally HATE on death procs.

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho