Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
I have no idea if Epic’s strategy is working out for them and it is hard to say how it is working for the devs as well. Epic might offer them more guaranteed revenue than their forecast of sales was, but the possible negative impact on sales of future games cannot possibly be measured yet (and might not happen at all, but that too is too early to tell). We will have to wait and see how this plays out.
It worked during the console wars, as Microsoft paid millions upon millions to secure exclusives for the xbox, allowing them to build enough of an install base that it became very viable for publishers to put games on it. Exclusivity deals are still used today too iirc, but to a far lesser extent.

Of course, for EGS to succeed they also need to add a bunch of buyer expected features, like wishlists, reviews, refund system and hopefully workshop like system. None of which they've rolled out yet.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mess View Post
It worked during the console wars, as Microsoft paid millions upon millions to secure exclusives for the xbox, allowing them to build enough of an install base that it became very viable for publishers to put games on it.
MS spent a lot of money that way, not sure Epic can afford it at that level...

Quote:
Of course, for EGS to succeed they also need to add a bunch of buyer expected features, like wishlists, reviews, refund system and hopefully workshop like system. None of which they've rolled out yet.
yes, they seem to focus on the developers and neglect the consumers... as long as they are not providing a decent service for me, I will ignore them, and their spyware stunts do not work in their favor right now
Old 03-22-2019, 12:04 AM
Champion

Quote:
I'm going to go with yes. But if it will work, who knows. If you do, you could get rich shorting tencent stock I suppose.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Given Fortnite + income from Unreal Engine licensing they've got money to burn. Probably more so than MS as they don't have a console that they're loosing money on every sale of either.

Quote:
yes, they seem to focus on the developers and neglect the consumers... as long as they are not providing a decent service for me, I will ignore them, and their spyware stunts do not work in their favor right now
Getting developers in is pretty much key to getting a game store operating it seems, for if you have the games people want they will buy from you store. That and frankly valve's cut (and GoG's) of game sales has been far too high vs the costs associated with hosting game files etc. Not as bad as Amazon's behaviour mind you, but that 30% cut comes to a significant amount of income, especially for indie devs.

As for the spyware - if it's in the EULA and not harvesting passwords, login data, etc, but rather stuff that, in this case, steam leaves open, frankly it's not fluffing spyware. It's more like tracking cookies, annoying, but not a an actual threat.

Though yes, it should have been made more obvious to prevent a stupid-storm brewing up over it.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:47 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Given Fortnite + income from Unreal Engine licensing they've got money to burn. Probably more so than MS as they don't have a console that they're loosing money on every sale of either.
but then they have Windows and Office with a 80+ percent profit margin raking in billions each quarter

Quote:
Getting developers in is pretty much key to getting a game store operating it seems, for if you have the games people want they will buy from you store.
granted, if you have nothing for sale, your sales will be low. But just because you have a game in your store does not mean people will buy it, if it were as simple as that, there would not be a backlash whenever they have a game exclusively (which seems to be most games that actually are in their store).

I am curious to see how that play out and whether it is a few thousand upset people on the internet, which ultimately make no difference, or whether sales are bad, not sure we will ever find out though

Quote:
That and frankly valve's cut (and GoG's) of game sales has been far too high vs the costs associated with hosting game files etc.
I don't necessarily disagree with that, but if the difference goes to the developer and not me (not even partially), I have little incentive to switch

Quote:
As for the spyware - if it's in the EULA and not harvesting passwords, login data, etc, but rather stuff that, in this case, steam leaves open, frankly it's not fluffing spyware.
no one reads EULAs and in many places they are meaningless, unfortunately the US is not one of those places. As to Steam leaving something open, they read the files on your HD, not quite sure what Steam should do about that.

As far as I am concerned, nothing that is on my PC is any of their business, unless I installed it through their store. So yes, they are spyware.

Quote:
Though yes, it should have been made more obvious to prevent a stupid-storm brewing up over it.
it should not have been done, period, even Epic says so (EDIT: they say it should not have been done without permission at least...)

Last edited by mamba; 03-22-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:21 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Getting developers in is pretty much key to getting a game store operating it seems, for if you have the games people want they will buy from you store. That and frankly valve's cut (and GoG's) of game sales has been far too high vs the costs associated with hosting game files etc. Not as bad as Amazon's behaviour mind you, but that 30% cut comes to a significant amount of income, especially for indie devs.

As for the spyware - if it's in the EULA and not harvesting passwords, login data, etc, but rather stuff that, in this case, steam leaves open, frankly it's not fluffing spyware. It's more like tracking cookies, annoying, but not a an actual threat.

It was never about the revenue cut, if developers care so much about the revenue cut they would have stampeded to Discord Game Store long time ago, Discord offers developers 90% revenue cut and was launched much earlier than Epic Game Store.

Developers whore themselves to Epic Game Store because Tim Sweeney slapped them senseless with the millions he has in his pants, they just hide behind words like "better game", "better support" etc to make it look less obvious and bad.

No EULA is going to protect company rummaging through your computer extracting your personal information especially when those files belong to a competitor, least they are invading your privacy worst they are committing commercial espionage.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Champion

If I was Valve I'd be encrypting those files since last week. Seems rather obvious?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
If I was Valve I'd be encrypting those files since last week. Seems rather obvious?
Not sure that changes anything given that there is an API to get that data. Epic for some reason is not using that API though, while Valve wants everyone to use it and not read it directly... but yes, enforcing that by encrypting the data seems like an obvious step at this point