Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Emissary

Default Fuck Terrorist Scum.

By now news of the terrorist attack here in Christchurch should have reached everywhere. Before today the chance a major terrorist event like this was firmly in the very, very low chance, worst case scenario box, so much so that no one dreamt that the act of horrific terrorism that took place today could happen in New Zealand, let alone in Christchurch were I live.

But it did, and now 49 people lie dead at the hands of an utter piece of shit. Who, of fucking course, not only posted on 8chan that he was going to do this and stream it, complete with some of the usual racist edgelord memes and "irony". Along with saying "remember lads, subscribe to Pewdiepie" at the start of the live stream on facebook.

And it could have been worse, as two improvised bombs were also found, but for whatever reason either failed or weren't triggered. While not apparently large, detonation of either would have probably caused more fatalities and prevented ambulances from reaching the scene fast enough.

So as a result I've been in a state of flipping between wanting to cry my guts out, punch every racist fuckwit near me and numb horror. Probably going to be close to breaking down when I drop off flowers.

I can't even think about how the family's of the victims are coping with this, but NZ police and various social groups will be taking care of every one of them, providing support for as long as they need it. While the NZ public will pull out all the fucking stops and provide as much aroha and support as they possibly can.

As for what happens next - after the police pay "visits" to white supremacist/Neo-Nazi group as they trace leads - this piece of shit used a weapon that's very heavily controlled in NZ, with a drum magazine. A weapon that he shouldn't have had access to due to his white supremacist views. So either the police fucked up in vetting him or he obtained the gun illegally. Either way the political consequences will very likely be a move to rightly further restrict or out right ban military style semi-automatic rifles from civilian ownership. While high capacity magazines are likely a goner as well. And I for one will not shed a single fucking tear at either of those things happening.

Firearm restrictions post a mass shooting have happened in NZ before, r.e. the Aramoana massacre which resulted in the introduction of increased restrictions on military style semi-automatic rifles. With further restrictions brought in after the Port Arthur Massacre in Australia. Vis the NZ gun lobby, while noisy and rather american in it's attitudes, hardly has any political capital to block any legislation changes. So any changes in legislation will probably make it through parliament, with National unlikely to vote against any changes.

Furthermore, the eyes of both NZ and Australian intelligence agencies and police will now be firmly locked onto White Supremacist, Neo-Nazi and Alt-Right groups. As they failed when it came to the arsehole behind today's mass murder. He was known to police in Australia, but evidently no one bothered to check his social media properly, nor did they inform NZ police about him.

Sentencing wise, he'll be charge under the Terrorism Suppression Act (2002) in relation to the Cimes Act and will very likely be looking at life in prison on top of the up to 30 years he can be sentenced to. As his horrific act of terrorism make him likely to be the first person in NZ history to end with being sentence to prison with no chance of parole. Either way, he'll be isolated from other prisoners since he'll be at risk of getting his arse firmly bashed or knifed. Although unlike Brevik he wont we getting much in the way of comfort, as NZ takes a more punitive approach to prisoners luxuries.

Lastly, I'll leave you with the powerful words of our Prime Minster, Jacinda Ardern:
Quote:
For those of you who are watching at home tonight and questioning how this could have happened here, we, New Zealand, we were not a target because we are a safe harbour for those who hate. We were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, because we’re an enclave for extremism, we were chosen for the very fact that we are none of these things, because we represent diversity, kindness, compassion, a home for those that share our values, a refuge for those who need it. And those values, I can assure you, will not and cannot be shaken by this attack.

We are a proud nation of more than 200 ethnicities, 160 languages, and amongst that diversity we share common values. And the one that we place currency on right now is our compassion and the support for the community of those directly affected by this tragedy and secondly, the strongest possible condemnation of the ideology of the people that did this.

You may have chosen us, but we utterly reject and condemn you.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/news/15-03-...rorist-attack/

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go numb myself before I cry a river's worth of tears.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Herald

My condolences to all the victims' families, friends, all NZ people.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Praetorian

I heard this on the radio, pretty shocking, I also heard there are 4 people that might be behind this, and maybe more, 3 men and a woman.
really dreadful. truly dreadful

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

But sadly, this kind of thing is just getting worse, in the EU, there been a few acts like this, in the UK, knife crime is on the up. We are living in an ever increasing dangerous place to live in. I sadly think, acts like this will slowly be the norm.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 AM
Emissary

@Everyone else - thanks. And assuming a legit donation page pops up I'll post it here.

Quote:
I heard this on the radio, pretty shocking, I also heard there are 4 people that might be behind this, and maybe more, 3 men and a woman.
really dreadful. truly dreadful
Just 3 are now held, one is the shooter, the other two, a man and women are believed to have aided him. The 4th guy was a white supremacist, but wasn't involved. Further police actions occurred in Dunedin as well, sounds like the police think that's where the bombs were made, and we had a police helicopter circling near my part of town an hour ago.

Right, Wolfenstein time.

Last edited by medea fleecestealer; 03-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Campaigner

I was very saddened to hear about this. These things are happening all over the world now. Nowhere is safe anymore.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

While I appreciate your sentiments The_Mess, this thread doesn't look like it's going in the right direction with some posters so I'm closing it. This is after all a gaming forum.

Condolences to the families and friends of the victims.
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Closed Thread