Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vothros View Post
I am new to Grim Dawn, I just want to ask something else.

Should I back-up my saves or no need to do anything cause my saves will be in the Steam?
Welcome to Grim Dawn.

While Steam cloud might be good, I'd personally feel much happier having a full backup of my chars/saves/blueprints saved locally as well as relying on just Steam....

Also, even though you have bought it through Steam, do you have steam cloud saving enabled in BOTH the Steam client and in Grim Dawn, otherwise you will only have local saves

Much better to have a backup you don't need, than to need a backup you don't have...so backup and backup the backup just in case

Last edited by Jaknet; 06-04-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by vothros View Post

Should I back-up my saves or no need to do anything ?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaknet View Post
A quick guide to moving your chars, shared stash and all known crafting recipes from Steam cloud saving to the default Grim Dawn save location.

This will overwrite all data in your default save location, so if you have been playing with chars after disabling steam cloud saving, please see the notes after the instructions. Or you will risk losing chars and or items

Char save locations.
These are the default install locations, if you have installed steam elsewhere then please navigate to the steam folder there.
Steam
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\folder of numbers\219990\remote\save

Grim Dawn
C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save
  1. Disable Steam cloud saving in the Grim Dawn options > general pane.
  2. Exit Grim Dawn and exit Steam
  3. Copy the entire save folder from the Steam location.
  4. Paste the save folder into the Grim Dawn folder overwriting the save folder already there.
  5. Start Grim Dawn and play.
Hello all,

Recently my pc died on me and now i cant retrieve my characters, i have acces to my old drive so i have the cloud save from that, i just cant get it to work. I did exactly like the above, Paste the save into Grimdawn. One thing i noticed in my new steam file is that it doesnt have a userdata map, and i can't locate the new character i made.

Can someone help me out please ? I played for 526 hours and i'd hate to loose what i had.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjakker View Post
Hello all,

Recently my pc died on me and now i cant retrieve my characters, i have acces to my old drive so i have the cloud save from that, i just cant get it to work. I did exactly like the above, Paste the save into Grimdawn. One thing i noticed in my new steam file is that it doesnt have a userdata map, and i can't locate the new character i made.

Can someone help me out please ? I played for 526 hours and i'd hate to loose what i had.
I was in a similar boot. As I upgraded my PC and added my old hard drive to the new system. Took me a while, but finally got my guys to transfer in. I also have the cloud backup disabled, however I was able to bring them in this though the cloud by doing this:

I copied all my files from G:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save (my old drive I labeled "G:", so change to wherever your old information is.) into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\folder of numbers\219990\remote\save

Not sure if "folder of numbers" is the same for each person. I did enable the steam cloud and created a new character. I searched my computer for that character name to find the exact path. My "folder of numbers" happened to be 70554625. It was the only folder before the "219990" folder, so finding the exact # isn't critical.

After copying the character load up Grim Dawn (characters still won't be listed) and on the main menu/Character screen go into "Options". Then click on the "Network" tab. There I clicked on "Delete Cloud Saves" and "Yes". Then clicked "Cancel" to exit the options. Another screen popped up saying "Steam Cloud Saving enabled. Import existing characters?". I clicked on yes and all my old characters showed up.

I'm not sure why/how this worked with having cloud syncing disabled, but it worked. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Praetorian

Many thanks for taking the time for posting that Scote

Regards the "Folder of numbers", it's different for each person which is why I listed it that way. I think each number is tied to a single account as it's always the same set of numbers for me, but everyone else has a different number

@Badjakker which location did you copy your saves to, if it's the Steam location then please make sure that you have steam cloud enabled in the game options otherwise all data will go to the doc > my games.... location.

Also as I don't know how old your saves are go to the \Save folder and make sure there's a \Main folder with your chars in there and all your transfer/formula/transmute files in the \Save folder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	16040  
Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Praetorian

Updated for AoM Expansion (*) indicates Exp features

Tags
guides, save games