Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makk View Post
In a lot of other similar material about blood sacrifices, royal blood or kings blood regularly has more potency for rituals. Is it likely that the Chthonian's will go after the emperors son to call forth something even more powerful from the void?
This is pretty much the plot of the first Diablo. Prince is taken by forces of Hell, becomes vessel for end boss
Old 07-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avyctes View Post
This is pretty much the plot of the first Diablo. Prince is taken by forces of Hell, becomes vessel for end boss
Worked then, could just as reliably work now.

On a new topic, I want to get everyone's ideas on who Korvaak is and what he represents. All we know is that he is a Primordial Being (ancient) and has an eternal rivalry with Ch'thon - so he's old enough to have known the father of all physical life, making him one of the first gods. By the time of Grim Dawn, his name has fallen out of use and we refer to him as "the Forgotten God" - god of what is anyone's guess so far. I have a theory of my own that I've been doing some fan writing based on, which would make Korvaak a central component of the story moving forward, but I'd like to hear others' ideas and whether they think his role in the Kymon storyline will lead to anything major in the main storyline.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makk View Post
Ulgrim is the only person who knows where the Emperor's son is hidden and now the Chthonian's have him. In a lot of other similar material about blood sacrifices, royal blood or kings blood regularly has more potency for rituals. Is it likely that the Chthonian's will go after the emperors son to call forth something even more powerful from the void?
It's not without plausibility, though there are some points to counter the idea of "royal blood" in Grim Dawn, at least as far as Ch'thon is concerned.
  • It seems as though Chthonians generally require quantity rather than quality to be summoned. I believe it takes five sacrifices to bring forth a Harbinger, if I'm not mistaken.
  • All blood is allegedly directly from Ch'thon himself, and his servants are "returning" it to him. This would suggest that most every living creature has the same blood "type" (pun not intended).
Despite these, I would hope that the prince does get involved in the plot somehow, as that would give us an interesting Male/Female mirroring between the prince with the Chthonians and the daughter kidnapped by Aldrich with the Aetherials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
On a new topic, I want to get everyone's ideas on who Korvaak is and what he represents.
Perhaps Korvaak represents some sort of spiritual means of life? That's my take on it, at least. Everything about him that we've seen so far seems to be anti-physical, and Kymon's Chosen doesn't get bonus reputation for killing Aetherials, suggesting that perhaps the Aetherials are Korvaak's creation or at the very least one of Korvaak's connections. Such a thing would only further the rivalry between he and Ch'thon.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:46 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Perhaps Korvaak represents some sort of spiritual means of life? That's my take on it, at least. Everything about him that we've seen so far seems to be anti-physical, and Kymon's Chosen doesn't get bonus reputation for killing Aetherials, suggesting that perhaps the Aetherials are Korvaak's creation or at the very least one of Korvaak's connections. Such a thing would only further the rivalry between he and Ch'thon.
Good points. The theory I've been working on has Korvaak as the god of change and evolution, i.e. everything that has happened ever, from Ch'thon's betrayal (and the subsequent creation of man) to the Grim Dawn has been orchestrated by him. It would explain his bad blood with Ch'thon and his offer of salvation (at a price) reluctantly agreed to by Kymon. Perhaps Korvaak, the architect of fate, planned all of this with the end goal being that he would step out of the shadows - Forgotten God no more - and inherit a shattered humanity that would answer to him and no other god after he "saved" them from the events he conceived. That's my theory anyway: the aetherials and Chthonians are as bad as each other, but Korvaak is the big bad behind it all.

Last edited by Younghappy; 07-15-2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Emissary

I have a small theory that Korvaak is some Eldritch god. One who got scattered to the far reaches of creation. Due the results in the war of the gods. And because of that Dreeg, Bysmiel and Solael was able to ascend to gods in the Eldritch realm.

Also the theory about a connection between Korvaak and the Aetherials can make sense. After all a Aetherial is as strong as their host. If they can't take over a strong host, they might try a way into tricking them. Or maybe Korvaak is allready possessed, but from a other world/reality and having trouble getting to Cairn.

Tags
discussion, lore