Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Diablo 1 & 2 designer joins Crate team

We’re happy to announce that we’ve brought on Eric Sexton to help enrich and accelerate the design work on Grim Dawn. It is especially exciting for us since Eric was one of the early artists / designers at Blizzard North, contributing to what are obviously some of our favorite games of all time.

Starting as an artist when Blizzard North was originally called “Condor,” Eric animated player characters on Diablo 1 and contributed such creative touches as the macabre detailing of the Butcher’s room and wrote many of the quest concepts. Transitioning to more of a design role on Diablo 2, Eric contributed to the story and world development. Most recently, Eric worked on the creature design team for Borderlands II, creating NPCs and monsters.

On Grim Dawn, Eric is primarily involved with world building and the development of lore but is eager to branch out. He was able to get up to speed on level creation quickly and has already made major contributions, building the mountain fortress that will mark the end of Act 3 and working on an expansive high-level swamp region where some faction quests will take place. Eric has demonstrated a special knack for creating unique points of interest within levels to give them a distinctive feel and detailing out dungeons in a way that really enhances the atmosphere.

Beyond improving our design efforts, we’re also hopeful that this new addition to the team will help increase the rate at which we can produce the remaining content and speed us towards the end-of-year delivery we’re currently targeting for the full release of Grim Dawn.

Eric will be going by the name Hyboreal on the forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mortonsclaim.jpg
Views:	32724
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	6221  
Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Praetorian

That's awesome! I'm sure he'll help to make Grim Dawn into an even greater masterpiece than it already is!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Apostle

Welcome to Eric, aka Hyboreal! I look forward to visiting that mountain fortress soon!

Last edited by ibugsy; 06-09-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Praetorian

this is awesome, can't wait to see more of his work ingame
twitch.tv/dikkiedik92

My builds: https://goo.gl/TTGM9X
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Acolyte

The little environmental details are one of the things I especially love about this game, especially when those details help to tell a story about things that happened.

Welcome to the team! Can't wait to see your work in game!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Lord Advocate

That's great news. While I like Grim Dawn's overall art style I think it's pretty lacking from an exploration/POI perspective. Hopefully Eric can bring a little more flair to the world and make exploring it that much more interesting.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Praetorian

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

Great news there! Welcome aboard Eric/Hyboreal and congratulations! Now back to work with ya

-Lokkar, master of the Crucible

"Stand still so I can—Feel my wrath!"

-Warden Krieg
Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Campaigner

Welcome to Crate, Eric, and glad to see Crate is growing a bit more to make Grim Dawn an even better game than it already is.

Waiting for: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods

Last edited by JohnNamikaze; 06-09-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
...Most recently, Eric worked on the creature design team for Borderlands II, creating NPCs and monsters.

On Grim Dawn, Eric is primarily involved with world building and the development of lore but is eager to branch out. He was able to get up to speed on level creation quickly and has already made major contributions, building the mountain fortress that will mark the end of Act 3 and working on an expansive high-level swamp region where some faction quests will take place. Eric has demonstrated a special knack for creating unique points of interest within levels to give them a distinctive feel and detailing out dungeons in a way that really enhances the atmosphere...

Interesting... swamp region... I'm all ears!
And good he was responsible for the creature designs in BL2 not the gameplay of the classes. I'd fear for GD in that case... ^^

Edit:
And more characteristics sounds great too. Always a top priority on my list, sadly so often neglected...

Last edited by Uranos; 06-09-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Supporter

Like the others, I'm thrilled to see his/your work ingame. I, for one, read those little pieces of lore with such enjoyment that thinking I might get more makes me drool.

Glad you're on board, Eric !

Tags
crate