Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Emissary

I wish people were not so lazy that they cannot type full words. You could say "reduce resistances" or "resist redux" even. I had to grind the gears in my brain to figure out what the heck RR could stand for, LOL.
But to answer your question, didn't really plan the build around that. Not that Shaman or Soldier has much in the way of resistence reduction, anyway... Wind Devils could do it, yeah, but one of the reasons I don't play much with my Druid is that I just hate resummoning them every damn second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
Lol, same thing happened to my vindicator the other night...

Have you tried maybe leaning into a 2nd element?
I did not really plan to, frankly. I did want to get some more bleeding damage but seems the base bleeding damage from Savagery is not much. Guess I could try socketing something that gives bleeding into my weapon instead of an Amber.
Still, not that I mind much (I killed Carraxus after the second try - at level 57 now, and my poison resistance was pretty low, I learned the hard way to start running when he shoots the 3 slime-balls) - that's what makes the game challenging, unlike Diablo III where it doesn't even matters what elemental damage you do and you can swap on the fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silben View Post
While any/every mono-elemental build will have problems with some enemies I've only experienced that brick-to-the-face feeling with two characters (or character types anyways, I've tried the bleeder a few times...)

Bleed - I've never got one past Old Arkovia. Those early game bleed immunities always make me delete the character in disgust.

Fire vs Iron Maiden. I've actually had builds that can steamroll the entire rest of the game be completely unable to kill Iron Maiden - I suspect when she's appearing with a fire resist item. Super high fire resist + ability to regen/heal when at low health can make for a literally impossible fight.
Really? I have a poison/bleed dual wield nightblade on level 100. She is not great but I never had big problems. Sure the undead die harder, and those damn Obsidian guys are even worse, but it's not that hard. Since I use two damage over time plus piercing too, one of them usually does the trick.
For me it was far worse with elemental damage guys whenever those accursed Skeletal Priests put their blessing spell on a Knight or Revenant... usually I just had to go away and wait for it to end, LOL.

I only ever met Iron Maiden with my Conjurer, since it takes ages to get up to Nemesis with Kymon's (hopefully the new warrants changed that). My pets can take Grava'thul or even Kubacabra without much hassle and my character has enough resistances to survive if they target him, but the Iron Maiden... damn even if I sit still and do not target her, eventually she comes running for me and those constant stunlocks almost killed me a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylthar View Post
And for the 2nd question:
Perhaps their shells work like Faraday cages.
Could be! Maybe they eat a lot of metal and build that into their shell, like real crabs with calcite.

Last edited by BB_Shockwave; 01-11-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Campaigner

Sorry, RR is one of the few short forms I know.

I don´t know your equipment or your devotions but for example Viper is a good start for Resist Reduction.

Quote:
Could be! Maybe they eat a lot of metal and build that into their shell, like real crabs with calcite.
There is a mine. Perhaps they´re eating the ore?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Shockwave View Post
I wish people were not so lazy that they cannot type full words. You could say "reduce resistances" or "resist redux" even. I had to grind the gears in my brain to figure out what the heck RR could stand for, LOL. <--
That's just the way it works with games that employ tons of different skills and mechanics. Noone wants to type out frequently used terms once a community standard evolves for their short-form. In the case of games of this style many short-forms for various game mechanics significantly predate GD itself... so it is what it is.

GD Acronym and Abbreviation List

And if you think about it, it's (<-- it is) just human nature to streamline and breakdown. Noone accuses Vietnam vets (<--another commonly accepted shortform) of laziness for constantly referring to the enemy as VC instead of Viet Cong

Last edited by powbam; 01-11-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Supporter

Sry man but I just gotta write one thing since nobody did this already. I'm not by any means the best at making builds or the oldest and most experienced veteran on the forum. However I'm still well aware of the fact that RR in grim dawn is a must.

There is no way that you could call your build "good" by any means possible if you don't try to pick every RR option possible for your dmg type(s). Ok perhaps you don't have to go out of your way to pick let's say manticore on every build, you still gotta balance. But trust me with my 1360 hours in the game every build with subpar RR is totally not ultimate viable. Sorry really don't want to put you down, but c'mon you just can't play without RR in ultimate. Looking at RR options should always start right after you pick you dmg type, it's just what it is.

And especially if you're a hardcore player, RR is survival, just like OA, DA and other fundamentals.

No matter if you like them or not, wind devils is a great skill, covers good area and is absolutely crucial for a lightning shaman. After that I would at least pick war cry and put those 3 points into the universal RR transmuter. And after that get elemental storm, c'mon you just can't play without those. I just got those on top of my head, there's probably more options, but even with those 3 you'll instantly start seeing waay better killspeeds which of course directly results in a lot more enjoyment out of the game.

Nobody wants to sit somewhere for half an hour waiting for mobs and bosses to die, I know because I tried a retaliator once. And btw you want to have some RR even on those builds.

Last edited by AlienEmoji; 01-11-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienEmoji View Post
Sry man but I just gotta write one thing since nobody did this already. I'm not by any means the best at making builds or the oldest and most experienced veteran on the forum. However I'm still well aware of the fact that RR in grim dawn is a must.

There is no way that you could call your build "good" by any means possible if you don't try to pick every RR option possible for your dmg type(s). Ok perhaps you don't have to go out of your way to pick let's say manticore on every build, you still gotta balance. But trust me with my 1360 hours in the game every build with subpar RR is totally not ultimate viable. Sorry really don't want to put you down, but c'mon you just can't play without RR in ultimate. Looking at RR options should always start right after you pick you dmg type, it's just what it is.

And especially if you're a hardcore player, RR is survival, just like OA, DA and other fundamentals.

No matter if you like them or not, wind devils is a great skill, covers good area and is absolutely crucial for a lightning shaman. After that I would at least pick war cry and put those 3 points into the universal RR transmuter. And after that get elemental storm, c'mon you just can't play without those. I just got those on top of my head, there's probably more options, but even with those 3 you'll instantly start seeing waay better killspeeds which of course directly results in a lot more enjoyment out of the game.

Nobody wants to sit somewhere for half an hour waiting for mobs and bosses to die, I know because I tried a retaliator once. And btw you want to have some RR even on those builds.
The RR from Ele.Storm and Terrify(war cry) don't really stack. You still get the physical RR from Terrify, but the elemental part is overwritten.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Supporter

Yea sorry just figured that one out, like I said I was talking from on top of my head, I forgot that ES is actually a flat RR also. Then I'd definitely pick ES only since it can get way higher than max 10 flat from terrify, plus it supports elemental with other nodes - it's a no brainer for pretty much any elemental build since most (if any) don't have flat elemental sources from skills etc. Perhaps arcanist have something like that? Blah blah sry I'm too lazy to check it out. We all know the rule of thumb to at least pick one source of flat, -% and n%.

Last edited by AlienEmoji; 01-12-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienEmoji View Post
Yea sorry just figured that one out, like I said I was talking from on top of my head, I forgot that ES is actually a flat RR also. Then I'd definitely pick ES only since it can get way higher than max 10 flat from terrify, plus it supports elemental with other nodes - it's a no brainer for pretty much any elemental build since most (if any) don't have flat elemental sources from skills etc. Perhaps arcanist have something like that? Blah blah sry I'm too lazy to check it out. We all know the rule of thumb to at least pick one source of flat, -% and n%.
that's actually not as true since the previous patch as they changed the formula. ES and Viper give 45.6% reduction combined now as they made flat work the same was as n%. Having both helps yes, but they're only needed if you have one or no sources of -%. for example with the crabs and having raging tempest and arcane bomb, that drops them down to 28%. ES would drop that to 19%, viper to 22%, and both drops it to 15%.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrett View Post
that's actually not as true since the previous patch as they changed the formula. ES and Viper give 45.6% reduction combined now as they made flat work the same was as n%. Having both helps yes, but they're only needed if you have one or no sources of -%. for example with the crabs and having raging tempest and arcane bomb, that drops them down to 28%. ES would drop that to 19%, viper to 22%, and both drops it to 15%.
Flat and %RR works the same now? Can you source the changelogs? Don't remember seeing it in patchnotes.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78624 was supposed to be how it works.

Last edited by Maya; 01-13-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Flat and %RR works the same now? Can you source the changelogs? Don't remember seeing it in patchnotes.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78624 was supposed to be how it works.
It was actually on the front page. It wasn't a documented change afaik, someone did a very large scale test as numbers weren't adding up right. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78624
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 AM
Counsel

Quote:
It was actually on the front page. It wasn't a documented change afaik, someone did a very large scale test as numbers weren't adding up right. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78624

That is the same one I linked. It only means that the order is different.

Meaning what you said is wrong.

Quote:
they made flat work the same was as n%. Having both helps yes, but they're only needed if you have one or no sources of -%. for example with the crabs and having raging tempest and arcane bomb, that drops them down to 28%. ES would drop that to 19%, viper to 22%, and both drops it to 15%.
is not how it works. ES is additive, Viper is multiplicative. They don't work the same way.

So unless something changed, with only ES it should be -4% and with Viper + ES -10.16%

Last edited by Maya; 01-13-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Tags
crabs, lightning, resistance