Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 04-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Grim Misadventure #135: Quality of...Sets

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! If you haven’t yet heard that Grim Dawn is getting its second expansion later this year, well…Grim Dawn is getting a second expansion! We made the announcement last month shortly after Grim Dawn celebrated its second release anniversary. Since then, we’ve teased some of the new encounters you will be facing in the Korvan Plateau.

Today, we’re going to shift gears a bit and talk about one of the awesome quality of life features we’ve been cooking up for Forgotten Gods!

Looting is a very important core aspect of ARPGs, and we’ve made many improvements over the years of Grim Dawn’s development, whether that meant improving the chances of rerolling a duplicate item, improving the viability of crafting for end-game purposes or just generally increasing drop rates.

That said, despite Grim Dawn being one of the most generous ARPGs in terms of loot, it can still be frustrating when you are trying to complete an item set and you end up with duplicates. Players who had invested many hours into the game may be brandishing every item under the sun, but we know there are many of you still out there that are eager to try out Grim Dawn’s many sets, if you could only complete them!

For that, we’d like to introduce a new feature coming to the Inventor service NPC in Forgotten Gods: Transmutation!

Transmutation has been created specifically to aid you in completing item sets. Whenever you end up with a duplicate set piece, you can simply bring it over to your neighborhood Inventor. There you will have two options: Same Set and Random Set.

Same Set
As you can surmise, this option allows you to turn a set piece you have into another piece of the same set. While this mechanic is more expensive than the Random Set option, you are guaranteed to get another piece of the exact set you want! RNG gods not favoring your drops and can’t find the blueprint for that set helm? Transmute another set piece into it! Consequently, were you able to find the helm blueprint but had no luck with the rest of the set? Farm up the materials to craft additional helms and Transmute them to the other pieces!

Random Set
So, let’s say your dice have been cursed and just keep landing the same set over and over despite you telling the RNG gods very clearly that you’re NOT interested in rolling your 10th Markovian Soldier. But luck just will not relent! This is where the Random Set option comes in.

Simply place your undesired set piece in the Inventor’s UI and let them do the work. With this option, you can chance a set piece into a random part of a completely different set of a comparable level (ex. a level 94 Legendary set piece would become an item from another Legendary 84-94 set).

Similarly to the Same Set option, you can also utilize the crafting system to craft Set helms that could then be Transmuted at the Inventor.

Following a short quest in the Forgotten Gods expansion, every Inventor will unlock the ability to Transmute your set items.

Transmutation is just one of several great new features we’re working on for you with the Forgotten Gods expansion. Check back for future dev updates as we reveal more of what’s in store!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 04/16/2018 for our regular development updates as we return to our classic bi-weekly schedule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmuter.jpg
Views:	20894
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	18475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Same Set.jpg
Views:	21279
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	18476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Random Set.jpg
Views:	20602
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	18477  
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Ascendant

Looks good

New components look nice as well

EDIT:

I hope you guys will have us clean up that aetherial from DC this expac.

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Campaigner

Nice, more QoL is always welcome!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yes, very sweet. That's going to make a lot of players very happy. And I like it's tied to a quest. Was always a bit disappointed that opening the DC riftgate using a quest got dropped early on.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Praetorian

Yes, this is gonna be AWESOME!

-Lokkar, master of the Crucible

"Stand still so I can—Feel my wrath!"

-Warden Krieg
Old 04-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Praetorian

Holy shit. The drop rates were already super imrpoved in AoM. This new thing will solve the complaints on dupes

BTW is it me or is the UI looking polished?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Speaker

Was hoping to see a bit more of the new enemies or places but this is good as well Def a great feature!

PS. That invetor's window does look more polished.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Supporter

Very nice! One of the reasons I stopped playing the game because I could not complete a single set after hundreds of hours of farming. I had sometimes 4-5 of the same piece, and not a single one of another piece of the same set. Now finally there is some hope.
Champion

My dreams come true. Thx, Crete, I love you.
Now if we only could craft affixes we need instead of current scam-gambling with smith.
Initiate

So, for transmuting within the same set - do we assume the item generated is random (just not the piece you transmuted)? I'm assuming so. Other option would be it's smart enough to know what pieces you have and only transmute into a piece you don't currently own. But that would be asking a lot of the Not-Forgotten RNG God...

Tags
grim misadventure, itemization, npcs