Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Campaigner

Here I slightly disagree.

BG 1 was a milestone back in those days and I played it then and again with the EE. BG 2 was bigger and had some nice additions (Love Stories, Conversation between characters, etc.) but ToB...naa, it was "okay".

IWD was good. Party setup, Dungeon Crawl, decent story. IWD 2 was a little bit better in my opinion. PS: T...well, story-wise definitely the best of them. But you have to like Planescape and not much fighting.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylthar View Post

BG 1 was a milestone back in those days and I played it then and again with the EE. BG 2 was bigger and had some nice additions (Love Stories, Conversation between characters, etc.) but ToB...naa, it was "okay".
BG1 was what set the western-iso-RPG hype in the late 1990s / early 2000s in motion. You have to give it credit for that, but Ive replayed it a few years ago and just didnt find it to be that intriguing anymore. Its so small-scale in every aspect.

BG2 on the other hand just has so much more replay-value. I agree with ToB though. It couldnt add much to the basegame gameplay and atmosphere-wise, except maybe for the Watchers Keep. At least it ended the story quite nicely. (imho)
Old 06-28-2018, 02:09 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylthar View Post

IWD was good. Party setup, Dungeon Crawl, decent story. IWD 2 was a little bit better in my opinion. PS: T...well, story-wise definitely the best of them. But you have to like Planescape and not much fighting.
>Love Stories
Aside from the fact that I can do without these, the romantic interests in the game are all different shades of terrible. Jaheira is probably the least-worst, Aerie's really damn annoying (gods help you if you have both in your party), and Anomen is a jackass until you resolve his personal quest favorably at the very least.
>Conversation
BG1 had intra-party banter, as limited as it was. Try putting Kivan and Viconia in the same group. Or Coran and Safana.

IWD2 was an unfinished uninspired mess IMO. Not terrible, but not great and certainly not better than IWD in my book.

PST combat is clunky as hell, yes, but no one plays PST for the combat anyway.

Regarding the EEs: I felt they added too little of value for too much money and I don't appreciate Beamdog going out of their way to make the original versions unavailable.