Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Praetorian

I like the approach with classes. Having a Borderlands skill added to it as well. However a lot of skills felt unresponsive. They had a very noticeable delay in press vs output that it got really annoying for me. Only mastery which has it is demolitionist, but it is much less noticeable these days. The aspect of the skill trees I really do not like, can't state this enough, is the damn excessive amount of passives in each damn tree. Sure GD has a lot of procs that activate automatically, like a passive, but GD still offers plenty of active skills as well.

Boss fights in Torchlight were decent in presentation and move sets. However the HP pools of heroes and bosses were so high it made each fight tedious as hell. After you took down 10% of their HP you knew it was a victory, but you still had to do the remaining 90% as a damn slogfest.

I never enjoyed the gear in Torchlight. It often felt very uninspired and didn't really bother even farming for it.
I also don't like ARPG's that let you choose 1 difficulty at the start and thats it. I quite enjoy going through all 3-4 difficulties with 1 character. The first method I can't get into the whole replaying over and over and enjoying it with different builds for some reason.

Torchlight games are a fun game in between the big ARPG's that get you properly hooked. You play it once or twice and never touch it again.

https://www.twitch.tv/Giblix
Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Supporter

TL2 was a nice game with some flaws, yes. Runic's patching policy didn't help matters either....

I do remember that there were Respec mods, though. I made one myself.
-------
~~ "Many Kings. Many Empires. Many Gods. Many Gods. All Gone. All Things Go." ~~
- Anghammarad, "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choux0304 View Post
Hi guys!

I wonder if anyone here played Torchlight II Yes, a LOT

What did Grim Dawn better than Torchlight? Dev's getting very involved with the community, This means that since it's inception GD is still changing and improving organically
Why did you moved to Grim Dawn or do you still play Torchlight? Can't move back. Know it inside out after playing vs lvl200+ mobs with all builds. Especially since I know none of it's flaws will be fixed ever. At least TQ had community patch, and amazing community. That's another thing
How did Grim Dawn achieve this? Both had amazing talent behind it but crate had uncanny perseverance and again, keeping in close touch with the community is the best way to keep your game alive. And also the community itself

I loved Torchlight I. But Torchlight II not. But I can not quite remember why. If you played far enough you probably got instagibbed a lot
GReeeeeeeeen

Last edited by Superfluff; 04-03-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Champion

played the 2nd one. Only one playthrough though and I enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if I am coming back to it again, since Grim Dawn pretty much is a better experience overall.

However it's sad to see the devs (Runic) go. The game may not best Grim Dawn but it's a solid game in spite of that. I hope someone buys the engine ( like the TQ scenario) improve the game towards a third iteration. There is a lot of room for the game imo to improve.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Supporter

I had high hopes for this game, bought it 1st day it went out. Sadly, devs just went for money. They never cared after the game was released. Some small bugfixes and that was it, no content, no balance tweaks, nothing. The game was released with console enabled, so there was obviously no "real" multiplayer either due to mass item creation and cheating. The game bit the dust really quick, despite having potential for being so much more.

Oh well. Grim Dawn is a better game, so good riddance I guess.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Praetorian

in fact they did release one content patch, wasn't much though...

to me it was what D3 should have been at the time, but then came GD
I did enjoy modding TL2 though and played it for quite some time

- Ulgrim
Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Herald

Some of Torchlight II major flaws were

- Armor and elemental armor system. Perhaps it was just impossible to balance due to so many difficulties and NG+ cycles that in higher difficulties armor became completely useless. And people relied on all damage reduced by % items, which came from very rare socketables (curse Limoany) and a few uniques.

- Mechanics too shallow. They were simple but often just too simple to have any variety and depth. No meaningful respec, no crafting except enchanters, simplistic skill system, 95% useless item affixes on rares. Combat was fun though.

- No updates and support. A single major patch only added some new content and bugfixing but after that the game was dead. No balancing for better or for worse.

For Grim Dawn

- Grim Dawn is constantly rebalanced and that sometimes fucks up people builds.

- Resistances in Grim Dawn are a little too many.

- Skill system design makes items super-specialized to fit all classes and all possible nieches. There are hundreds (or is it thousands already) legendaries. Too much loot makes it difficult to find what you need.

- No Meaningful endgame, not even mapworks like. Except Crucible which is boring and lately especially requires ultra-specialization to farm it.

- Not on Crate's part, but tools like GD stash trivialize the game. Multiple stalwart of the dranghoul MIs ftw.

Regarding gameplay, Torchlight II was arcade-ish - use movement skills and CC and careful positioning to avoid taking any damage to survive. GD is - stack DA and armor and resist and damage absorption, block, evasion, chance to fumble etc to survive. I personally liked TL II way more.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Grim Dawn is constantly rebalanced and that sometimes fucks up people builds.
The only time this has happened was when Nidalla Justifiable Ends had % CDR. You could make Shadow Strike have nearly 100% uptime with the CDR buff in the Crucible. Besides this, no one's builds were "fucked up". I know this because i have nearly 40 builds and none of them were ever screwed up by any update. The people who moan that their builds were "fucked up" are the ones who realize that their build is not super OP anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothhunter View Post
Regarding gameplay, Torchlight II was arcade-ish - use movement skills and CC and careful positioning to avoid taking any damage to survive. GD is - stack DA and armor and resist and damage absorption, block, evasion, chance to fumble etc to survive. I personally liked TL II way more.
Yeah, no. Think you only need that to survive in GD, gonna have a wake up call. There' still some positioning and strategy involved. Also, you just proved that Torchlight 2 doesn't require much strategy by just stacking the damage reduction gem that could stack to 75%. I did it and by the end i literally could just plant my ass in the ground and facetank nearly everything. And even with that, regularly you couldn't dodge enemy attacks no matter how hard you try because the game would throw an obscene amount of enemies at you.

I'll take the rogue dungeons and Nemeses as endgame over the mapworks. Torchlight 2 mapworks is an atrocious endgame that just recycles map and bosses from the main game. And the terrible loot drops of the game just made it way worse.

Last edited by Norzan; 04-04-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Herald

I don't think standing in one spot was generally viable unless you are a berserker with that rare set granting instant life leech or some sort of force field engineer and even then. Some bosses, the dragon, the giant robot, but Netherlord too could oneshot you through 20K hp and capped all damage reduction.

Then there was Tarroch tomb on elite with level 200 mobs oneshotting with their screen wide BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
The only time this has happened was when Nidalla Justifiable Ends had % CDR. You could make Shadow Strike have nearly 100% uptime with the CDR buff in the Crucible. Besides this, no one's builds were "fucked up". I know this because i have nearly 40 builds and none of them were ever screwed up by any update. The people who moan that their builds were "fucked up" are the ones who realize that their build is not super OP anymore.
When crit was nerfed everything went to hell. No builds from before that stayed the same. When firestrike was rebalanced it changed a lot too. Boss permafreezing came and gone

Last edited by mammothhunter; 04-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
I don't think standing in one spot was generally viable unless you are a berserker with that rare set granting instant life leech or some sort of force field engineer and even then. Some bosses, the dragon, the giant robot, but Netherlord too could oneshot you through 20K hp and capped all damage reduction.

Then there was Tarroch tomb on elite with level 200 mobs oneshotting with their screen wide BS
And most of that was due to terrible balancing because the devs just stopped updating the game shortly after release. Grim Dawn is constantly updated to not have bullshit like that.

And even then, that's just handful of bosses, that's why i said nearly everything.

Quote:
When crit was nerfed everything went to hell. No builds from before that stayed the same. When firestrike was rebalanced it changed a lot too. Boss permafreezing came and gone
Because permafreezing was broken and trivialized major bosses. If you mean build "abusing broken mechanics that clearly were never intended to work like that", then i guess. But those builds were going to disappear sooner or later.

And crit builds weren't "nerfed to hell". I just did a Primal Strike Vindicator and stacked an insane amount of crit. My crits reach the dark orange easily. And Fire Strike builds still work. So none of these "were fucked up".

Not staying the same but still working =/= "fucked up". Fucked up implies they no longer work. Which is what you implied.

Last edited by Norzan; 04-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Tags
comparison, thoughts, torchlight