Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeg View Post
Moreover, I hesitate to call this genre "Diablo clones" even though that would get the point across real quick. These developers put too much time and effort into their games to get labeled a mere facsimile.
Then take a page from the roguelike and simply call them diablo-likes, which is what they are. It's a very specific breed which happens to have elements that bleed over into more general arpg's and other games.

Always a touchy topic but I've always felt strongly on the designation.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Campaigner

Isometric ARPG.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 AM
Herald

Nevermind. Won't change a thing.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 AM
Supporter

Since you're not taking you're criteria too seriously, RTS games have taken some cues from arpg style loot over the years. Warcraft 3 comes to mind, Dawn of War 2 has already been named. There are probably more, that I can't think of right now.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Counsel

Dungeon Lords steam edition now has some affixes loot. (Beware not everyone's cup of tea is understatement)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudius View Post
Dungeon Lords steam edition now has some affixes loot. (Beware not everyone's cup of tea is understatement)
Wait they're still patching it? I thought they just fixed it for release... Now I might have to play it again
Old 08-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
Wait they're still patching it? I thought they just fixed it for release... Now I might have to play it again

I used to play it when was out. It was weird but fun.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Counsel

Asylum101 they did patch it a couple times after this latest re-release but they never managed to fix the multi-player which from what I understand they were hoping would be a great drawing point of the new release. I don't play DL multiplayer so I don't know any specifics.

For the other problems they have fixed many things like some graphics, UI, 'getting stuck in the floor of one of the realms'... don't know what else to call it, fixed up/changed/streamlined some spells and mechanics. Oh and best of all now more than 8 save slots... in fact quite infinite almost.

So they did do some work rather than just release 2012 version verbatim.

However there are still some problems that even fans such as myself have with the game. Terrible melee item decay that makes the game annoying and I pick builds with kung fu and/or ranged attacks. Number 2: inventory clog if you pick up the wrong endlessly spawning quest items you can bork your inventory. Number 3: the game with new mechanics is fairly challenging early on such as surviving the trial of the ancestors last chamber fighting waves of ghost knights while being bombarded by fireballs. But eventually in part due to the affixes you can randomly find you become ridiculously powerful. The demon lord armor used to be the godly armor you wished for but now leather with good affixes is better. So reload on those chests! Added to that if you specialize in one magic and one weapon and pump defenses you get ridiculously powerful. This is going on what I have heard as I've only played maybe 1/3 through this version of the game.

I can't recommend buying this game but if there is another sale and you have nostalgia maybe why not? Oh and the last patch was over 2 years ago probably so I doubt it will get patched again and I would be very surprised if it ever gets rereleased in 2022 or so? For people who have not heard of it the coolest thing is the layout of the Dungeons you explore hence they name Dungeon Lords. They have cool layouts and puzzles with grindy constant combat in between.

Last edited by claudius; 08-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.